Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Game for Swallows: To Die, to Leave, to Return (Single Titles)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 27, 2013
Zeina was born during the Lebanon Civil War in 1981. The Civil War lasted from 1975-1990 and it divided the city of Beirut into East and West with the Christians living on the East side and the Muslims on the West side of the demarcation line.

In a Game for Swallows Zeina writes and draws about one particularly memorable day when she was little and living in an apartment near the demarcation line. The streets were lined with metal barrels, with walls of sandbags and cinder blocks to act as shields from sniper bullets. Zeina's parents regularly traveled the dangerous streets to visit her grandmother who lived a few blocks away.

Zeina, with her parents and little brother lived in a apartment in East Beirut. The only room they used in the apartment was the foyer because it was the safest place. They slept there, ate there and entertained other apartment dwellers there. There is a taxi driver, a newly married couple with a pregnant wife waiting for their papers to emigrate to Canada, the old nanny, and a whole host of other interesting apartment dwellers. Many of whom had suffered losses of family members and property.

A Game for Swallows is told in stark black and white artwork. Each detail is so fine as the story is told minute by minute, hour by hour. The facial expressions change in increments as Abirached captures wartime. The reader learns what it is like to live in a war zone from a child's perspective. No where to play, fearful for your family and scared of loud noises. Living life in a tiny space called home that is filled with love and support from everyone in their apartment building.

I am always looking for graphic novels that have historical significance and take place in far away places. I devoured A Game for Swallows and send out a cry to authors and artists for more book like this. A Game for Swallows was so beautiful, realistic and ominous all at the same time. I hope I never live in a place where war is a part of my daily life and I sincerely hope we find a cure for war so no one has to live the way Zeina Abirached has lived.

Right now there are 60 countries experiencing conflict. Right now there are children in an apartment foyer hiding from sniper bullets, fearful for their parents.

Let's find a cure for war.
on June 30, 2013
Told from a child's point of view, this story blends humor and sadness and love to show how family and friends live in terrible times. Symbolically, when a family chandelier is shattered, everyone knows it's time to move on. Still, the family survives. Must read.
on January 24, 2015
So realistically portrayed, I was transported back in time! I became Zeina, and her neighbours were mine! I laughed, I cried! I forgot it was black and white drawings on paper! It brought to life the optimism of the Lebanese in times of war and their humour in spite of the doom and gloom.
on October 14, 2014
This graphic novel was very interesting! It taught me about a point of history that I’ve honestly never heard of before and need to learn more about. It isn’t like history classes are fixating on places like Lebanon, even if those conflicts could certainly be learned from. I’m glad that there are writers out there telling these stories so that people like me can learn a little and then be intrigued enough to research it further.

I think what’s most interesting and confusing about the novel is that Zeina and her brother are presented as the main characters but they’re hardly in the book. They’re simply observers as the adults talk politics, worry about the coming bombs, and wonder why Zeina’s parents haven’t arrived home yet. While I really liked how most of the book was situated in the space of one day, giving a snapshot of life underneath this oppressive war, I think knowing more about the family dynamics would have been an improvement. It would have also been nice to see, perhaps in flashback, more about Zeina and her past as it relates to her perception of the terrible present.

The art was a little unconventional but I think that it worked for the book. It wasn’t my favorite style but I could certainly appreciate its presence in the narrative as it added a lot to the story.

I’d recommend this book to people who enjoy graphic memoir or are interested in historical accounts. It’s a quick read so even if you’re wanting to read something out of your typical genre, you could pick it up and sample it quickly.
on January 27, 2014
This graphic novel allows us to reach across the gulf that separates our safe western lifestyles from the terrors of ordinary people trapped in a war zone, to witness families surviving against all odds, and the depth of friendships that grow in such desperate circumstances... It would be an excellent addition to any library, school or public.
on December 3, 2012
I rarely ever go directly from finishing a book to write a review, but I was so incredibly moved by this short book that I find myself compelled to TRY and put into words what effect it had on me. Sadly, I don't think anything I can say could do justice to it. The simplicity of the format belies the content, carefully drawn black and white illustrations (it appears at first glance to be a colorless comic book) with conversational text as well as explanation in the margins that tie it all together. It's a work of art but so much more than words can say. My first child was born the same year as the author/artist but under such completely different circumstances as to border on the absurd. How can this world be so different for some, why must anyone grow up in a place racked with nightly bombing raids, and how did this gifted young woman come up with such a creative and profound testament to her childhood? This is a brilliant work, accessible to all, easy to read but hard to absorb.
on October 13, 2015
In ways that traditional books cannot, graphic novels seem to have the ability to express difficult things so that they cannot be dismissed. This book brings to life the realities of war from the eyes of a child, so in many ways it is simple and straightforward. It's just one day, just one room, and yet the fear and anxiety are clear. I have seen comparisons to other award-winning graphic novels, and while I think those comparisons are fair, Abirached still has her own story to tell. I found this to be powerful and moving. Recommended.
on November 22, 2015
The illustrations create a feeling of being cramped in the tiny apartment with the characters. You feel simultaneously the physical and emotional closeness of the people.
on July 30, 2012
I just finished A Game for Swallows and I should admit it's an amazing book in the vein of Persepolis. A must-read!
on June 28, 2015
Short and sweet. Good companion to Persepolis or other non fiction graphic novels. Very interesting artwork. I liked it and recommend it.