Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,339 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,551 reviews
on April 13, 2014
if by now you aren't on board the GoT train, then you have a lot of catching up to do. But a thirty hour marathon of watching this show now is really a bit much.... I advise a season a day with a nice break in between. However, it's terribly addictive, and the onslaught continues in terms of sex, violence, power struggles and so on. Hell, even the costumes rock.

HBO never backs down from portraying borderline questionable themes and scenes with a gritty reality that will make you sit up and gasp at a few of the scenes. It's got its hooks in me like crystal meth.... can't stop this thing we've started....

Deviation from the books continues but is always done both with GRRM's awareness and involvement. He's got a close relationship with the writers and they are keeping true to the TONE and FLAVOUR of the books even where they make changes to the action or timeline. Ultimately the result still serves to bring you forward right where you're supposed to be.

At this point I've stopped reading the books looking for explanations of things and I am taking the series at face value. It's that good. When I go back to the books again later they will dovetail with the show much more logically I am sure.

There is a new packaging design for the third season, it still matches but it's got this translucent plastic slipcase instead of the cardboard one. My OCD wishes it matched identically, but hey.... as long as it's not a big difference I'll be ok.

Same 5 discs with 10 episodes as prior seasons. Still putting fun features on each disc instead of a features disc separately.

If you're reading my review, you want to be convinced to buy it. So go buy it already. You won't be sorry. The only reason not to get DVD is if you get Blu-Ray. Otherwise it's a gem. I just wish I could buy season four already.... the wait is gonna kill me.....
I bought this mainly for the collectible steelbook and magnet.

— MULTIPLE COPIES —
You get three different copies of the series:
1) Blu-ray (physical discs)
2) UltraViolet 1080p HD version (digital copy, HD only available on some devices)
3) iTunes 1080p HD version (digital copy)

The digital code gives you two digital versions (which is rare and appreciated).

— STEELBOOK and MAGNET —
This steelbook has artwork designed by Elastic, the agency that created the Emmy Award-winning opening credits, and has a magnet on the cover that can be removed and used as a regular magnet, or left on to show off as a collector's piece. Each season represents one of the major houses of the series, and this season three steelbook represents House Frey with The Twins bridge as its sigil on the magnet. The steelbook is in a matching decorative plastic outer case that holds the magnet in place so it doesn't scratch the steelbook. Depending on how this was shipped, this plastic may or may not be cracked as I've seen a lot of cracked plastic cases with the steelbook intact.

— THE SHOW —
The show is great—in acting, in storytelling, in visuals, in music, and in writing. I've watched everything at least three times, and there are so many new things you see when re-watching, and with the knowledge of future episodes. The third season has a lot of incredible shocks you won't see coming, and some that are very much foreshadowed to those that pay attention. It will certainly be one of the most memorable seasons you will ever watch on television.

I have converted many friends who previously used to think this was about "dungeons and dragons and lord of the rings," (like I did) who are now *all* addicted to the show. If you don't already know, this show isn't about what you think it may be about.

This is currently THE only good show on television, and if you don't like it, you probably don't understand good television (sorry, not sorry). It has been the number one torrented show in every single year since it came out for a reason (which is a blessing and curse for the producers). After watching this, everything else on TV becomes: "why I am watching all these other crappy shows?"

This is one of those series that I will buy the individual season sets, and whatever big box set comes out in the future. GAME OF THRONES! Recommended.
review image review image review image review image review image
on February 22, 2014
I bought this for my partner for Valentines Day, even though it wasn't released until the 18th of February. I was really surprised at the size of this and the lifelike stone look to the case. This edition includes the complete 3rd season in incredible Blu-Ray and has a digital copy for your mobile devices or for Ultra Violet storage. It also has a special disc with an in-depth look at Episode 9 , "The Rains of Castamere" and a lot of other special features that we have not even explored yet. If you are a fan of this series, this is the edition to buy. It's worth every extra dollar that it cost compared to the regular 3rd season and I think it has way more special features and content.

It is an incredible looking statue and we get a lot of complements on it from our friends. They really like the case and we do as well. It's very sturdy and stable and it set on the top of our Sanus entertainment center near our other special editions of other series. This is one of the few disc sets and disc that we do not hide in our entertainment center. This actually reminds me very much of the promo copies of stuff our good friend who worked for HBO use to give use for Christmas presents.
on March 22, 2014
Game of Thrones Season 3 continues with the brilliant adaptation of George R.R. Martin's books. This is one of televisions most impressive accomplishments to date. The set designs, costuming, etc are absolutely brilliant. The acting is superb.

I am simultaneously reading Martin's books and I will say that the Game of Thrones series does vary considerably in many respects to the books. That is understandable. The books are long and incredibly complex from just about every standpoint. The books can, in fact, become quite tedious in an over-abundance of detail. The series cuts off a lot of that fat and does make many substantial changes.

This review, however, is primarily about the Game of Thrones: Season 3 Blu-ray/DVD disc set. As usual, I went on a Game of Thrones viewing binge as soon as I got my set delivered. My experience with this disc set is that it has worked flawlessly and the quality of the video is first rate. The set contains 5 Blu-ray discs containing ten episodes. Disc #5 contains only the final episode of Season 3: "Mhysa". Unlike some reviews I have read, I have had no playback issues whatsoever with my Sony Blu-ray player and it is a relatively inexpensive 2 1/2 year-old model. I did not have to perform any updates or other nonsense that some reviewers talk about. That may be because the Sony performs automatic updates; I don't really know. Some reviewers have complained that they were unable to watch any of their older Blu-ray discs or DVDs after performing an update to their player. Fortunately, I have had no such issues. My player still plays any of the older DVDs and Blu-ray discs without any problems.

I am not going to further review the Game of Thrones Season 3 series itself other than to say that if you are averse to (1) nudity (2) "colorful" language (3) copious amounts of blood (4)violence then you'd best stay away. Far away. Game of Thrones is set in a fantasy Middle Ages type world somewhat similar to but also vastly different from the world of Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings". It is not nearly as "gentle" as Tolkien's great work, however. Just a word of advice for anyone who has not yet seen Game of Thrones: don't get too deeply emotionally attached or invested in ANY character. You'll be sorry you did. ; )

The Game of Throne: Season 3 Blu-ray disc set is another total winner. Highly recommended to any Game of Thrones fan.
on March 18, 2014
I don't have HBO so I waited anxiously for Season 3 to finally be released on DVD. There is nothing like GAME OF THRONES on TV or in the theaters. In fact, GAME OF THRONES surpassing just about any theatrical movie for quality and visual effects. A TV version of GAME OF THRONES allows for deeper character and story details. Sadly, there are only 10 episodes in the Season 3 but they are 10 seriously powerly episodes. GAME OF THRONES is addictive and can't be missed. It is set in a mythical land that looks and feels like medieval Europe. The costumes and settings are lavish. It feels not expense was spared in the filming of this remarkable show. It is an actor and Casting Director's dream with parts for actors of all ages, sizes and looks.

I could spend pages extolling the virtues of the cast of Season 3 but I feel there are two amazing standouts. Maisie Williams plays young Arya Stark trying to avenge her father's murder and reunite with her family. Dressed as a boy she exudes anger and determination in her face. We feel her anger and pain and determination. This fine young actress has a bright future. Another remarkable actor is Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy. This season he is a prisoner being tortured by a mysterious person. Allen is so believable in his pain and misery. We see it in his eyes and actions. Here is another actor to watch.
It is great to see lovely Diana Rigg as Olenna Tyrell. We rarely see this fine British actress and it's a joy to see her as the aging Tyrell Matriach in a role she obviously loves. Add in beloved character actor Charles Dance and the gorgeous Natalie Dormier and we have quite the cast and again, I could go on for pages just discussing the actors.

There is a "look" to GAME OF THRONES that deserves praise for the production team. The lavish locales are awesome. We are taken from dark and forbodding locations to lush and lovely settings. It's hard to imagine all the work involved in filming this series.

A word of caution. GAME OF THRONES is not for the squeamish. Season 3 brings us to new heights of gore and violence. This season maiming and loss of body parts are on the agenda. No one is safe and no one is spared as the innocent kill the innocent. It's war afterall we hear over and over.

GAME OF THRONES is am amazing show to delight the senses and unnerve the weak-hearted.
on March 19, 2014
While still unquestionably the best fantasy show in the history of television, this season saw both some soaring highs as well as a few dips. What has been great about the show from the start remains great, and some characters who've stumbled before get fantastic moments and development in this season.

However some cracks are showing in the armor of this show, and most of them are romantic. While love has played into aspects of the show before it's never been sappy. At least not before this season. There are multiple romantic pairings, and while some work better than others none of them really bring anything new or interesting to the table. In fact they feel like they diminish some of these complex characters by reducing them to the cliché of "doing it all for love."

Despite the stumbles this is undoubtedly a game changing season, as events in the last two episodes completely reshape the future of the Westeros. In many ways this feels like a season that's largely about setting the stage for what is to come: making sure that the proper players are in place while removing those who don't really matter in the grand scheme. That makes it essential, though perhaps not quite as inherently enjoyable as the first two seasons.
on March 30, 2014
Just finished up season 3 and highly enjoyed the episodes. One major complaint I have with this series is that they feature Lena Headey & her evil son King Jofferey way too much, taking away screen time from the other characters. The character of Tywin Lanister is explained more, especially his twisted relationship with his children including the Dwarf character who is one of the only good guys on this show. The exploits of the Dragon Queen Kolisie are excellent, and as far as I am concerned she is the only main character I really care about through out this entire series.

What I would like from this series is a bit more action and combat, a little less ploting and drama. Other very interesting characters such as the black Pirate are hardly featured, in favor of other plot movers. The non heroic, but never the less other good guy (besides the Dwarf, and Kolisie) is the heavy set young man from the Knight's Watch who find's himself surviving in this violent and dark sadistic medieval world where brutality is the norm. With many grey characters, this show is very original and a simular concept seems to have only been touched upon before with movies such as "Braveheart" with Mel Gibson, and the early 80's with "Excalibur". My hat's off to the author of this series, for creating very detailed and original work. In my mind this entire show is a fantasy depiction of the violent real history of medieval Europe, set in a "Dungeons & Dragons" background.

What I would like to see is the plot, and characters move along at a faster pace. Especially the Dragon Queen Kolisie. It seems it takes forever for these characters to get anywhere. Another issue I have is there are just way too many characters to follow. The warfare regarding Kolisie's newly obtained army, and her dragons needs to be focused on.

Films like the "300" series, which are equally fantastic, have way too much focus on the fighting, while this show is the complete opposite. Over all this is light years ahead of the childish, "Lord of the Rings", and "Hobbit" series. Can't wait for season 4.
on May 25, 2015
A lot of good people die, but so do a lot of bad people. I sometimes feel like I should volunteer as a helper at the morgue for this series. But this series is beyond reproach. I have not read the books and have no intention of doing so. I read history, literature, mythology, poetry, you get the picture. But as a diversion from the hard work of reading, this series is the non-pareil. And it's a benchmark for production values. And the acting is uniformly excellent. Of course, adventure stories, whether set on the ancient past, the present or the future essentially follow the scenario I associate with STAR TREK., namely, the plot is one goddam thing after another. But when the cast includes actors of the caliber of Peter Dinklage, Ian Glen, Glenna Headley, Emilia Clarke, Charles Dance, etc. ad infinitum (sic), the intriques, set-backs, romances, ambushes, intimacies, arguments, whirligigs, fights and battles, curious lore, etc. ad infinitum, all fall into their archetypal niches, and we hardly feel any guilt in pursuing this guilty pleasure. It's really that good. One sign of its excellence. As the credits roll by for each episode the music playing behind them has been composed to fit the mood and extend it in our minds. And there are surprises: after the episode when the wedding party is murdered in a horrific mass murder, including Rob's pregnant wife and the Matriarch herself, the credits rolled by in absolute silence. That shows a production team which is really paying attention. I have the highest respect for their creativity and integrity. These episodes have been among televisions's finest hours. I mean that in complete sincerity.
on April 24, 2014
You already know about the show, it's awesome, watch it.

Blu-ray, DVD, digital combo packs are becoming commonplace and I for one think it's fantastic. This is a lovely edition to any movie collection and looks fantastic on the shelf. As with the first and second seasons- the packaging fits theme and is well designed for style and function. Blu-ray is the perfect format to showcase the incredible work and attention to detail that has been invested in the series by all involved in the production. I haven't yet utilized my digital copy, but the compact and simple way the DVD version is packaged in it's own slip-case provides great portability but also protection for the disks. I've found myself much more amendable to the idea of loaning out a season to a friend since I don't have to part with my precious Blu-ray boxed set. I wouldn't pay $75-$80 for this- or for any boxed set honestly- but for the $35 I spent it was a no-brainer.
on February 24, 2014
Show is awesome, and this season is no exception. With that being said, this review will primarily focus on the quality of the Blu-ray presentation and physical packaging.

[Minor Spoilers Ahead]

PQ: The episodes contained within these disks are ridiculously gorgeous plain and simple. If you thought the broadcast versions (or pirated 720p ones) were good looking just wait until you see the blu-ray video quality. The lighting is absolutely fantastic, in particular some of the darker scenes are absolutely amazing (especially the ones using fire as the main light source). Speaking of dark scenes there are quite a few of them this season, and luckily the black levels are spot on. As with previous seasons the locations shot on this show are some of the most beautiful you will ever see, and will look stunning on your big TV. The sets and costumes have always looked amazing on Game of Thrones, but this season they really outdid themselves. Not that it needs to be said but the use of GC is excellent this season, nothing new here

Some scenes to showcase picture quality
-Anything involving the wall
-Beric vs. Clegane
-Dannys parley with Yunkai
-Garden scenes in kings landing
-Anything in Geoffrys/Cercies/Tyrions chambers

AQ: My god this is an impressive DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack. Hard to say if it's better than the previous two seasons, but I do think that season 3 had more chances to fully utilize what a modern home theater system can produce. Excellent use of surrounds and LFE channel. Most importantly the dialog is always given a priority in the mixing which makes it very clear and easy to understand. Top it all off with the incredible soundtrack (gotta love Rains of Castamere) and you have something very incredible indeed.

Some scenes to showcase audio quality
-Climbing the Wall
-Summer snarling at Jojen
-Beric vs. Clegane
-Most Dragon scenes
-Sam and Gilly at the weirwood

Packaging: Pretty much the same as previous two seasons. Case is white instead of black and the slip cover is made of plastic. I like this because my cardboard covers always get frayed around the corners after extended use. DVD copies look like they might be hard to remove from there sleeve without scratching, but I haven't tried myself.

As a final note the extras are phenomenal for season 3. My favorites are:
-Making of "The Rains of Castamere"
-Histories and lore