BCA Month Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Chris young Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 7, 2016
This review is primarily to give a feedback on the sizes of leather bound and paperback printed books. I initially bought leather bound books. They were really pretty and paper quality was very good. But the down side is they are really small books. So I got the paperback edition books. These books are bigger than leather bound and easy to read. So it totally depends on the customer what size book you would like to buy. I attached a photo to compare. Hope this helps
review image
1313 comments| 2,174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2015
Extremely pleased with this leather edition. Absolutely stunning. Ten times more gorgeous in person.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
1515 comments| 553 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2015
What could be said about Game of Thrones, the first of George R.R. Martin's epic series, that hasn't been said a million times? It's absolutely brilliant. Going into these books (I read them after the show began but before I'd seen the show...), I enjoyed my share of sci-fi/fantasy along the lines of Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire Slayer... fairly light-hearted stuff (in comparison, at least) that always felt grounded in the same world I live in. The one genre I really disliked was "Middle Ages Fantasy" as I called it. Lord of the Rings, for instance, while the films were visually appealing, was not my cup of tea... too detached from reality. So when I first saw articles and clips from the HBO Game of Thrones series, I thought it looked like the one type of fantasy series that I would never enjoy. I held out for a looong time, until 3 different friends of mine with similar tastes in books/shows/films promised me that, while they too disliked this sub-genre of fantasty, this series was different, and I HAD to read the books or start the show. Grudgingly, I picked up the first book, figuring that I'd push myself half-way through it and let me friends know I tried and they were totally wrong.

Of course they weren't wrong.

What George R.R. Martin has done here defies genre, period. It doesn't matter if you're like me and don't care for this sub-genre of fantasy... it doesn't matter if your like my spouse, and don't like fantasy at all. If you enjoy brilliant, incredibly-developed, thought-provoking stories... those with a strongly developed cast of characters who blissfully lack being "good vs. evil" and instead all display their shades of grey, good traits, evil traits, unique traits, all sorts of traits... then this book is for you. Buy it. Open it up. Start reading. You won't regret it.
55 comments| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2015
To be clear, I'm not writing a review of a plot. I love the books and I was happy when I got them.

However, my issue is with the books themselves. When I got to the second book I noticed that approximately 70 pages are missing. I can't tell if this is the case for the rest of the books, but I'm certainly dissatisfied with the product.
review image review image
77 comments| 397 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2017
A Game of Thrones is a well-written look at what goes on behind the throne or thrones, told through the eyes of all of the players involved in the crowning of a king and the running of a kingdom, and there are so many. And there are just as many intrigues, deceptions and negotiations going on as there are military battles. Characters are well-developed and numerous. Some you'll love and some you'll hate. Don't plan on getting much done during the read, as you're not going to want to put it down. I shall eagerly await the next book. The only negative comment I have is that the depictions of women and of religious figures are less than flattering to both, and those characters for the most part lack qualities to be admired. I have concerns about the effects on young readers even. I still enjoyed the books though.
on October 6, 2017
I had a bit of an issue with my first order but was able to get a replacement within days. I love how beautiful these books are and the size. They are small enough to carry around in my purse. If you are a GOT fan and want a copy of the books I would recommend getting these. They are smaller than the regular ones but have much more of an eye appeal to them. The only reason I am giving them a 4 star is because the first set of books they sent me looked like a mouse had gotten into them and chewed on some pages.
on October 11, 2017
A beautiful leather bound collection for A Song of Ice and Fire. The books are fairly small and are very easy to to travel with. The leather feels great in your hands and the printing is clear. Albeit, it is small printing, small font. If you have trouble reading smaller text, you may want to pass on this particular collection unless you are a die hard collector and fan. There does not to be anything special or additional to these volumes and collection as a whole.
on March 16, 2016
I have been watching the series; but had so many questions about how it all begins. This is one time when I can honestly say that the series depicts the book far better that I could have wished for.
I'm going on to the second book immediately! I cannot wait for the story to continue, as I wait for the series to go on as well! I highly recommend that the reader get both the Audiblle & book as it adds another dimension when one pictures the characters, listening to them as well.
Enjoy! I'm on to my next adventure in the GAME!
Peggy
on May 21, 2013
Thoughts on Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One
[Audio book, Unabridged] [Audio CD]
George R.R. Martin (Author), Roy Dotrice (Reader)

Ok... most of my buds know I am a big fan of the HBO series.

On Amazon here: Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season

And while I own the paperback version (A Song of Ice and Fire, Books 1-4 (A Game of Thrones / A Feast for Crows / A Storm of Swords / Clash of Kings), I haven't been plowing through it as fast as I want to (wacky things like, the farm, MS, and life keep getting in the way.)

However, Sally and I on our recent trek to Toronto for Pinballapalooza (to support the Stratford Festival's production of Tommy: http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/OnStage/productions.aspx?id=20233&prodid=47004 ) we started listening to A Game of Thrones on Audio book.

I cannot heap enough praise on the production of the unabridged edition of this book in Audio book form. Roy Dotrice does a phenomenal job of reading and imbuing each character with a distinct voice. This is very impressive for a series with so many characters. The audio itself is well recorded, crisp and clear and picks up the different intonations of Dotrice perfectly.

This is the kind of audio book I like - unabridged, the entire original book. Read word for word. With appropriate vocal modulations to help you keep characters straight when listening. I found it much easier to keep track of who was doing what where from the audio book than I did the HBO series (which cuts "a bit" too much in some parts.)

I have listened to some of the "fully dramatized" versions of audio books. Most notably I listened to the BBC's dramatized versions of the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. I have not enjoyed them as much as the straight unabridged versions, as in order to "fully dramatize" there are usually sound effects, music, and worse modification of the text of the book to fit the story into more of an audio-play format. Given I am a fan of the original source material, whenever there is something dropped or added from the text, it jars my suspension of disbelief and takes me out of the book.

Roy Dotrice treads a fine line. He does give each character a unique voice, and "acts" the books. But there is not any distracting music or sound effects, and Mr. Dotrice sticks to the source word for word. His narration of the book is spot on and absorbing. What's more, my wife, who is not as much of a Fantasy fan as I am, also found it absorbing and can't wait for the next chapter and next book.

The number of books in the series is another big plus. Mr. Dotrice has recorded not just the first book, but the first five books in the series all unabridged. My wife and I look forward to listening to all of them. It is our hope he continues and does books 6 and 7 as soon as George R.R. Martin completes them.

If you like fantasy novels, character driven stories, or stories told from a character (or different characters' perspectives), I highly recommend Game of Thrones. If you want to watch some great drama on TV, try the TV version (or try Battlestar Galactica or The Walking Dead). If you want to listen to a great story told well... try the audio book version. They are all good and worth owning and reading, watching, or listening to.
on October 8, 2017
Very good read it was a little harsh with its characters and they’re a great number of different families involved which can make it difficult final reading on the Kindle but otherwise very great book a plan to finish with the rest of the books.