Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 109 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 141 reviews
on April 11, 2017
The book starts with a solid introduction outlining a strong and clear definition of a game as an exploratory space with specific rules and players. It really helps you imagine the rich possibilities in developing helpful games as small journeys to find effective and practical solutions for all kinds of tasks.
The examples of games are abundant. However, too many of the examples seem too similar, almost as if they are included to provide a deceptive feeling of abundance. It makes you want to apply Affinity Mapping approach to many of these games to outline the similarities as the core concept for groups of games and just add some notes on possible variations.
Overall, it's s a helpful handbook with ever-useful practices.
on September 11, 2015
Gamestorming was recommended to me and it went beyond my expectations. I used this book to guide a cross-functional product team through a two day design workshop. We used around 6 different games from the book and they were all received well by the group. Some people even said it was the best multi-day meeting they have ever attended. They really enjoyed the games, Draw the Box and Cover Story.
It's always hard to be productive with sales, software development, support teams and other stakeholders in large meeting together. I found the techniques from Gamestorming gave everyone a voice and we were able to dig deeper into topics that would not have been possible with a typical meeting format. I highly recommend this book to anyone leading cross-functional teams.
on July 3, 2017
Pretty straight-forward. Nice extension to "Innovation Gaming" if you ever got into that - more games and applications for them here. Rudimentary coverage of how to apply them, but sufficient to get you going (anymore would probably have been overkill anyway).
VINE VOICEon August 2, 2014
In our Management Consulting practice, we frequently have to facilitate meetings with executives, sales people, call center agents and IT professionals. Using standard Q&A formats as laborious for the attendees, often leaving them open to distractions, and can result in losing focus. The methods outlined in Game Storming are great tools to speed up meetings, keep attendees highly engaged, extract better decisions and clearer requirements.

Word of warning - it takes a lot more prep time to pull together meetings like this. Game Storming is not something to pull out the day before a meeting. On the other hand, you will find that your follow-up after the meeting is much more efficient.
on March 28, 2017
There are some really useful ideas in here. I couldn't read it cover to cover....it didn't hold my attention like that...but I was able to pull out bits and pieces and implement those strategies with my team. Worth the read.
on July 19, 2017
Each one of the games is described in one or two pages, if you are busy planning next staregy meeting is perfect.
Any one with a minimum of group dinamics can execute.
Games can be executed in sequence, allowing diverse results depending on your objective.
One of the most useful books I ever purchased.
on September 19, 2010
In Gamestorming, Dave Gray and his colleagues Sunni Brown & James Macanufo do something extraordinarily important and they do it with such simplicity and clarity that it is easy to miss what is most valuable about this book: in short, it explains why the idea of the game matters.

It has become a media commonplace, at least in the "smart" media of Wired, Fast Company, The New Yorker and the New York Times, that games and gaming are reshaping our world. Few, however, explain with such lucidity not only why we should pay attention to this phenomenon, but also give us such a practical roadmap to the application of what we have to learn.

Games are structured accelerators for learning. They are extraordinarily effective technologies for learning in groups and for accomplishing things while we learn and not simply after the fact. What Gray, Brown & Macanufo help us to see (the drawings & diagrams are fabulous) is that the game matters because it puts in our hands the technology to create and to explore other worlds, other realities; some possible, some parallel, some fantastical, but all of which are places that allow us to get beyond the constraints and the limitations of the present and the ordinary or mundane.

Gamestorming gives us both a roadmap for understanding why games matter so much and, as the authors properly say, an accessible "playbook" for how to use these powerful technologies.

My most grave complaint is that Gamestorming is still a book. Not withstanding the effort to challenge the limitations of the book (see the website at [...]), Gamestorming strains to show us things that belong on another platform altogether, perhaps something like the gamelayer that is starting to be built on top of the world we now "know": isn't that the "place" we should all go gamestorming?
on September 7, 2010
The authors have provided a valuable resource for helping individuals and groups figure out their own stories and share them. Your story may be a problem or your take on solving a problem. The diverse tools in this book provide a wealth of ways to dig in, collaborate and find out what's happening so you can work together (or on yourself) to reach your goals.

At first the book reminded me of some training games, which I am challenged to understand without reading them over several times, because there are no pictures. Gamestorming is different because it provides simple drawings spread throughout the book. I'm glad to see that the introductory chapters provide a brief visual language section.

I've already used the Empathy Map several times at the office, helping to 'get inside the head' of people my team needs to talk with about important issues. I've taught one other person to use it too. The 7P's framework for meeting planning is now a resource in a training course I'm developing. I love the metaphor for determining the purpose for a meeting, specifically, answering the question, "What's on fire?". This one step could save us from many a wasted hour on meetings that never deserved to happen. Happily, I have now learned how to do the 5 Why's exercise properly. Sketching the activities goes a long way to quickly engage your colleagues, friends, family or others.

Although most of the exercises are designed for small groups, there are some you can do on your own too. While so many books out there are full of other people's stories, here's one that teaches you how to find your own using a variety of tools that will help you engage a variety of people.
on January 19, 2013
Imagine a workplace where teams are excited about meetings, and meetings produce results both useful and tangible. Imagine a day that begins with creative exchange between a team which flows into meaningful work executed by that team.

Gamestorming is a resource to help you make these kinds of days into regular occasions.

I've used Gamestorming techniques in groups from three to three hundred. Its techniques help you draw ideas out of quiet group members, get more meaningful feedback from "over-involved" group members, and get out of the rut of the same old conversations.

I'd recommend a paper version of this. I used the Kindle version for a while, but found myself needing to flip back and forth more rapidly than the Kindle comfortably allowed. Hint: you can get a PDF copy from O'Reilly, which is ideal (as you can print pages or export them to your tablet as you need them).
on January 23, 2011
This book was written for individuals at all levels of the enterprise to show different collaboration tools for organizations of all types to bring out creative solutions. The book is clearly written, uses clear examples and is well written and organized.

The authors do an excellent job of providing an introduction and background on the use of brainstorming games, which they call "gamestorming". Chapter 1 describes the objectives of games and suggests a solid approach for the facilitator. Chapter 2 lists the 10 essential components of a game and Chapter 3 discusses some skills required for effective facilitation. These chapters provide a foundation that allows for a rapid understanding of how the games should flow, how to structure the information, and how to ensure good results.

The remaining five chapter discuss a multitude of brainstorming games to solve many of the problems that an organization faces, which are often best solved through a collaborative effort. I've made slight adaptations to these games to suit my own style and solve client problems in a very smooth and professional way. Best wishes on your path to a new type of gaming!