Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Forbidden Island

on July 20, 2011
Plenty of people have done an admirable job of explaining the games in their reviews, so this is instead an attempt at a comparison between a number of games, the pros and cons of each and which may suit different people best. The games in question are: Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Castle Panic, Smallworld, and Forbidden Island.

We have had Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne (with a number of expansion packs) for quite a few years now, and only recently added the other games above. We usually either play just as two adults, or with our two older children (age 9 and 8), and so our conclusions are based on how these games work in those settings. So here's what we've found:

Settlers of Catan
We got this around the same time as Carcassonne and initially just didn't latch onto it. Partly it's that it's supposed to be 3 players or more, and we often play as just two of us. Once we found online some instructions for playing as 2 players it came out more often, and as time's gone by it's become fairly 50-50 whether we play Settlers or Carcassonne on a quiet night in. The choice will usually depend on how much we want to think. With Settlers, you're always planning and calculating; with Carcassonne, you're taking it a card at a time.

Who should get it: Settlers is well-known as one of the great modern games. I'm not as sold on it as some people, and it takes quite a while to learn and feel comfortable with, but once you get the hang of it, it is an entertaining and enjoyable addition to a games collection. There are several 2-player rule variations out there if you need them and they work well (we found one that worked for us and we've stuck to it). But this isn't a game for kids; I would suspect not until they're 16 or so. Amongst other things, I think they'll find it too dull.

Carcassonne
This has been a favorite for years now, and everyone we've played it with has gone off to get it themselves. We usually play without farms because it then becomes less directly competitive and more sociable. Kids can play it, adults can play it, it's relaxed, it's fun and it's simple to learn. Here's one nice thing about it: you don't have to be constantly thinking and planning ahead. You don't know what card you're going to draw next time, so you just play one card at a time. You're encouraged to discuss where to put a card, and since you don't know what piece you're getting next, your comments to another player are usually pretty unbiased.

Who should get it: In my experience, pretty much anyone, except those who want ultra-competitive games. The first few expansion packs are also well worth getting, but don't bother with anything from Mayor onward.

Castle Panic
The kids love this one, again it's simple to learn and it has the added bonus of allowing them to get out their aggressive instincts and go postal on monsters! They don't like the `master slayer' option, but prefer just straight cooperative play. After the first few plays, I've found the basic game is too easy, and so we're experimenting with making it more challenging, such as starting with no walls, or drawing 3 monster cards at a time instead of 2. I think Castle Panic will become a game that we get out pretty regularly to play.

Who should get it: People with kids, who want to play cooperative games. Could be fun as a party game too!

Smallworld
While the kids have enjoyed playing this, I think their interest is starting to wane already. I suspect it will work better as a game with a group of adults, or when the kids are older. It has a lot going for it, especially the creative cards and board, but as others have noted - what's with the box for the tokens? Very poorly designed and adds unnecessary annoyance. Most of the time when playing we've found it's not too directly competitive, it's easier to attack lost tribes or declining races, so generally it doesn't get too personal!

Who should get it: I think this would make a fun addition to a games collection, but I don't think it would be a go-to game, especially with kids. The rules are more complicated to learn and explain than the other games, and this makes it hard to just sit down with new players and get on with a game. Having said that, we've enjoyed playing it , and I think it'll get pulled out every now and then over the years.

Forbidden Island
Although the kids would prefer Castle Panic, when we've played Forbidden Island (at my insistence!) they've thoroughly enjoyed it. As the island starts to collapse in a heap toward the end of the game, the tension levels rise and people are on the edge of their seats! The game always ends with voices rising in pitch and tension as cards get turned over - it's fun! It's a pure cooperative game, and that works well for us as a family - no one feels bad, we're all in it together. We're still using the `Normal' level of play, maybe we'll notch up a level soon!

Who should get it: If you like cooperative games, I think this is excellent to have. I love how easy it is to set different difficulty levels, and it's definitely the game that's had the most excited tension - Castle Panic has this at times, but not sustained (at least as the basic game). It doesn't have the whole monster thing going for it that Castle Panic does, and I think that's why the kids haven't latched onto it so quickly (kill trolls or wander round an island getting treasure - which is your average kid going to choose?) but I suspect that long-term it'll have more staying power.
1313 comments| 815 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 1, 2017
Fun fun fun! Easy to understand co-op game that we can play over and over. Tensions rise as the waters do! Those special abilities each character has sure come in handy, IF you work together and use them wisely! If not, all of you will sink into the abyss along with Forbidden Island!
High quality components in a gorgeous tin container is a great presentation and solid for storage. You will love this game!
on September 18, 2013
Forbidden Island is a great introduction to cooperative board-games. Its incredibly easily to learn and game last a half hour at most. With the island sinking faster and faster it can get quite intense. It very thrilling when you and your teammates get towards the end and start having to plan your exact moves to escape the island. I really enjoy this game but the one problem I've noticed is often the best moves/actions to take are fairly obvious. I know I've caught myself telling people on their turn what they should do. Some of that works with the co-op elements but sometimes it can just feel like you're just feels like your just along for the ride. That aside you can't not go wrong with how inexpensive this game. If you like this I highly recommend checking out Forbidden Desert.
on July 7, 2017
This game is fun and easy to set up and play. If you've played Pandemic (I had, and that's why I was interested in this game), it'll be a familiar feeling. It's a cooperative game that requires all players to play together in order to escape the island. It's a quick play (maybe 20 minutes or so) and very easy to learn for the first time. I'd highly recommend to families and friends who would enjoy playing and winning together!
on March 28, 2011
My kids and I own most of the popular family games, new and old. Too many to list here. This game is truly a different game playing experience. It's not at all true that the "smartest" person ends up controlling the game (as some of the 3-star reviewers say) -- Anyway, who's to say what kind of smarts we're talking about? "People smarts" is part of what is encouraged here, and it's been a pleasure playing this cooperative game with my two daughters because winning together is so much more satisfying than always having a winner and a loser.

The first two times we played, we weren't successful at getting off the island. But, each time, we learned a few things by sharing insights. With improved strategies, we were successful in our third and fourth games (though, admittedly, our island card layouts were beneficial both times). Though we continued to set the starting water level to "novice", our fourth game was so successful that had we started the game at the "legendary" water level (most difficult starting position), we would still have won the game.

One of the cool things about the game is that there are six different player roles (pilot, navigator, explorer,engineer, diver, messenger) -- and how each role has a special power or two. Since the game is limited to 2, 3 or 4 players, you'll never have all six roles in one game. So the strategy for each game depends in part on which roles are in play.

We've been finding the game very exciting to play.
on January 8, 2016
Forbidden Island is an Indiana Jones of the tabletop world. It is up to the group of players to use their unique skills to recover each of the four artifacts and leave before the island sinks into the abyss forever.

ForbiddenIsland1

I bought this after watching a couple of youtube play-throughs, which made the game seem like something super quick and super fun to play with other people. It’s not low-stress like Takenoko, but it is one of those games that won’t leave you wanted to beat someone with the box by the end.

Pros: The game itself is really pretty. Each tile is double sided, one with a colorful scene from part of the island and the other with a blue shaded version of the same image, which represents the water rising. I also really like that this game is quick to play but not necessarily easy. You could play a 20 minute game and lose, or you can play 15 minute game and win. It’s really the luck of the draw. It’s also a really good game for new tabletop players. I wouldn’t call it a relaxed game, so it might not be fun for those who have trouble focusing on games in general, but it’s user friendly and keeps the group talking. There are a ton of tiles but overall the amount of pieces isn’t really all that much since you use everything right away.

Cons: I don’t have very many complaints about this one. I do wish the artifact pieces were made of something a bit stiffer, as they as really squishy plastic. However I do recognize that this makes it a kid friendly endeavor as well, and you can’t break it since it basically gives under pressure. “Shuffling” the tiles is also rather…difficult. It mostly became a ‘throw the tiles on the table, move them around and restack them’ kind of thing, but I didn’t have too much trouble with the Island reforming the same way more than once.

Overall: Forbidden Island is a must for any lover of tabletops! Every game shelf needs a good co-op game and this one certainly fits that bill. It’s quick, easy to explain, and a lot of fun to try and figure out how to get pieces while the game tries to take those opportunities away. I’m really happy with this purchase and I’m considering buying the sister game, Forbidden Desert, to see how that one plays.
on November 2, 2012
I am a game-aholic and every once in a while I just get in the mood for a new game. So I come to Amazon and the search is on. Last week I stumbled into Forbidden Island. Based on reviews, it looked like just my type of game. It is amazing. Two different nights I've played with just one other person, and one night there were 4 of us. Either way is a blast, and either way it's a challenge to win. I am so impressed with the ingenuity of whoever created this game. And for $13 and some odd cents, the quality is top-notch. It comes in a beautiful tin and the game pieces are excellent as well. Take about 30 minutes to work through the directions and then you'll be hooked. In fact, to teach myself how to play, I laid it out and started playing by myself as I read the rules. In no time I was sailing along. The other plus is that there's no arguing, since you work together to win! In case you can't tell, I recommend it 100 percent!
on August 15, 2013
This is a simple game that you and a few friends can start playing within a couple of minutes after opening the tin. But simple rules do not make for an easy game! You're guaranteed to have some nail-biters as you scramble to win the game before the island sinks. It also has a lot of replay value since the tiles and characters are placed randomly. It will be a bit different every time you play.

And if that weren't enough, the game is simply beautiful. The artwork on each tile is amazing, and the treasure pieces aren't just little lumps of plastic. (They're *attractive* lumps of plastic.) At least as much thought was put into the artistry of this game as to the gameplay.

I really can't recommend this game enough for anyone looking for something to add a bit of fun to a night in with friends or family.
on April 10, 2016
This is a very fun game. My wife and I play it together all the time and it’s it is fun even with just the two of us. Its simple rules make it easy to learn and start having fun right away. The game also never plays out the exact same way which makes it a fun game to play multiple times without feeling old. It comes in a nice metal protective case that is great for travel or just looking good. The game pieces are sturdy cards and thick plastic pieces that aren't easily lost or damaged. I think this game is fun both for kids and adults. If you feel like the game is too easy you can just up the difficulty and the strategy of the game becomes much more important. It’s great for all ages. I’ve played it both with kids (they love making the island sink) and with adults (who are much more into the strategy behind the game). The game can be pretty quick ranging from 20-40 minutes depending on how long people take on their turns. You do need a decently large table to play on because setting up the board takes up quite a bit of space. Alternatively, you can play on the floor since everything stays pretty flat and you don’t have to worry about keeping track of too many pieces. I think this is easily one of the most fun games I’ve ever bought that’s under $20. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys co-op games or strategy games because I’m sure they’ll love it.
on September 8, 2017
We enjoyed this game a lot more than we thought we would. The theme of the game is so much fun and reflects in the game mechanics really well. I also love that there are different difficulty settings for newbies and experts. We found a ton of rule variants online (including a solo-version) that are SUPER fun, involving different island set-ups and flavor rules.

This game is such a hit that we're already planning to order Forbidden Desert, the second game in the series. :)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.