Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 1,388 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,636 reviews
on July 20, 2011
Plenty of people have done an admirable job of explaining the games in their reviews, so this is instead an attempt at a comparison between a number of games, the pros and cons of each and which may suit different people best. The games in question are: Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Castle Panic, Smallworld, and Forbidden Island.

We have had Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne (with a number of expansion packs) for quite a few years now, and only recently added the other games above. We usually either play just as two adults, or with our two older children (age 9 and 8), and so our conclusions are based on how these games work in those settings. So here's what we've found:

Settlers of Catan
We got this around the same time as Carcassonne and initially just didn't latch onto it. Partly it's that it's supposed to be 3 players or more, and we often play as just two of us. Once we found online some instructions for playing as 2 players it came out more often, and as time's gone by it's become fairly 50-50 whether we play Settlers or Carcassonne on a quiet night in. The choice will usually depend on how much we want to think. With Settlers, you're always planning and calculating; with Carcassonne, you're taking it a card at a time.

Who should get it: Settlers is well-known as one of the great modern games. I'm not as sold on it as some people, and it takes quite a while to learn and feel comfortable with, but once you get the hang of it, it is an entertaining and enjoyable addition to a games collection. There are several 2-player rule variations out there if you need them and they work well (we found one that worked for us and we've stuck to it). But this isn't a game for kids; I would suspect not until they're 16 or so. Amongst other things, I think they'll find it too dull.

Carcassonne
This has been a favorite for years now, and everyone we've played it with has gone off to get it themselves. We usually play without farms because it then becomes less directly competitive and more sociable. Kids can play it, adults can play it, it's relaxed, it's fun and it's simple to learn. Here's one nice thing about it: you don't have to be constantly thinking and planning ahead. You don't know what card you're going to draw next time, so you just play one card at a time. You're encouraged to discuss where to put a card, and since you don't know what piece you're getting next, your comments to another player are usually pretty unbiased.

Who should get it: In my experience, pretty much anyone, except those who want ultra-competitive games. The first few expansion packs are also well worth getting, but don't bother with anything from Mayor onward.

Castle Panic
The kids love this one, again it's simple to learn and it has the added bonus of allowing them to get out their aggressive instincts and go postal on monsters! They don't like the `master slayer' option, but prefer just straight cooperative play. After the first few plays, I've found the basic game is too easy, and so we're experimenting with making it more challenging, such as starting with no walls, or drawing 3 monster cards at a time instead of 2. I think Castle Panic will become a game that we get out pretty regularly to play.

Who should get it: People with kids, who want to play cooperative games. Could be fun as a party game too!

Smallworld
While the kids have enjoyed playing this, I think their interest is starting to wane already. I suspect it will work better as a game with a group of adults, or when the kids are older. It has a lot going for it, especially the creative cards and board, but as others have noted - what's with the box for the tokens? Very poorly designed and adds unnecessary annoyance. Most of the time when playing we've found it's not too directly competitive, it's easier to attack lost tribes or declining races, so generally it doesn't get too personal!

Who should get it: I think this would make a fun addition to a games collection, but I don't think it would be a go-to game, especially with kids. The rules are more complicated to learn and explain than the other games, and this makes it hard to just sit down with new players and get on with a game. Having said that, we've enjoyed playing it , and I think it'll get pulled out every now and then over the years.

Forbidden Island
Although the kids would prefer Castle Panic, when we've played Forbidden Island (at my insistence!) they've thoroughly enjoyed it. As the island starts to collapse in a heap toward the end of the game, the tension levels rise and people are on the edge of their seats! The game always ends with voices rising in pitch and tension as cards get turned over - it's fun! It's a pure cooperative game, and that works well for us as a family - no one feels bad, we're all in it together. We're still using the `Normal' level of play, maybe we'll notch up a level soon!

Who should get it: If you like cooperative games, I think this is excellent to have. I love how easy it is to set different difficulty levels, and it's definitely the game that's had the most excited tension - Castle Panic has this at times, but not sustained (at least as the basic game). It doesn't have the whole monster thing going for it that Castle Panic does, and I think that's why the kids haven't latched onto it so quickly (kill trolls or wander round an island getting treasure - which is your average kid going to choose?) but I suspect that long-term it'll have more staying power.
1212 comments| 674 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2016
I was recommended this game from a friend as a "game that two people can play and still have a lot of fun!" And yes, it is! My husband and I are avid gamers and since we had a recent loss of our gaming group due to moving several hours away, we needed something we could do just the two of us. The initial gameplay was slow, since we were playing from the instructions until we got the hang of it, but we won our first game together. After winning, we figured out we had forgotten an important mechanic and sorta accidentally cheated. SO we immediately reset it and played again properly. we still managed to win the second time :) Very satisfying when you can work together to beat the game. It takes about 30-40 minutes to play the game once you know the rules, so its great to just kill a bit of time. There are even options to up the difficulty, so once you've beaten it a handful of times, you can make it more challenging. We've just made a couple of friends in our new town, so we're looking forwards to trying it with them as well.
on April 5, 2017
Great fun for the whole family, and because it's cooperative, it works even with much younger players. Because the setup is different every time, it requires players to come up with a new strategy each game, building on each adventurer's extra skills and the configuration of the board (both assigned randomly each game).

The rules are slightly more complicated than your average family game, but not so complicated that you couldn't teach the grandparents and cousins to play a quick game after Thanksgiving dinner.

The "waters rise!" mechanic guarantees an exciting ending, but it's eminently winnable when played at the Novice difficulty level. (Definitely let the family win a couple times before upping the difficulty.) As kids get familiar with the game and each adventurer's extra skills, they'll come up with their own strategy for winning.

As with most cooperative games, an "alpha player" can easily dominate the gameplay, but with mixed ages playing, that can become more of a feature than a bug.
on May 2, 2017
Great game! My 10 year old and 8 year old love playing it!

Within the first 15 minutes of playing this game for the first time, we all knew we would love it. Quickly the game's rules and unique playing was understood and we were all enjoying it, even my 8 yr old daughter knew exactly how to play after a short time.

It's quite easy, each turn take 3 actions, draw 2 treasure cards, and draw flood cards equal to the flood level. Rinse and repeat and help each other conquer the island!

I would highly recommend this to anyone as its a blast and fun to play!
on June 6, 2016
This game is completely cooperative; either everyone wins or everyone loses. You are given a number of actions and you can spend those actions to move, gather artifacts, or save the island.

This game is great and bought it because Pandemic is one of my favorite games. This is a much smaller game than Pandemic, uses similar game mechanisms, and was designed by the same person. Unfortunately for me, I played Forbidden Desert (the sequel to this game) and it was better than this one. This game is still quite good and could easily be used to get players into this style of game before introducing them to Pandemic.
on November 4, 2016
This is a great game! So far I've played it witha total of 2 people and 4 people and both games were equally enjoyable.

Contents:
The game comes in a nice metal container that holds everything nicely. The cards, "island" pieces, treasures and player pawns are all kept separate by an inserted piece of pressed plastic. The components themselves are high quality, and you will feel like you definitely got your money's worth.

Gameplay:
Directions are easy to read, allowing for even a beginner to pick up the game quickly. We set up and learned how to play the game within 15 minutes. The game is equally based on luck (based on where the shuffled tiles are placed and when you draw certain cards) as it is skill (how you use your individual characteristic to the teams advantage, how everyone works together). The games go quickly, they're usually over in 30 minutes. It's a great family game because it's COOPERATIVE which means no one is fighting one another! No more anger-flipping the game board when someone loses... Also, you can completely scale the game based on if you're an expert or novice, which would make this fun with little kids!

Overall:
Buy this game. It's a great quick game for the whole family! Highly recommended.
on May 11, 2017
This is by far one of my favorite games. I love how everyone works together against the game. You really have to work together as a team and plan out your turns. People who don't enjoy strategizing or participating can end up just doing what everyone tells them to do on their turn. This is really a game for people who want to work together to come up with the best possible course of action because this game is difficult! We've lost a lot!
You can set the difficulty level, however, since the board and characters change each game, even the easiest difficulty can be impossible in some playthroughs. Every game is different though since the "board" is never the same and there are so many different roles you can play! All these variations make it so this game never gets old! I definitely recommend this game!
on March 1, 2017
I got this as a gift for my stepson but we love games just as much so this is getting a lot of use. This is a really simple concept to learn but more difficult to master.

It's a co-op game where the players play against the game to either win or lose together. The game is not too difficult where kids would be frustrated but it does require some strategy and you have to stay focused or you'll lose. It's pretty quick, about 30 minutes, start to finish - which is nice because we can play 2 or 3 games at night.

The concept is that you are on an island that is sinking. You have to collect the 4 idols to make the island stop sinking and save the day. Tiles get "flooded" then they "sink" and you remove them from the board. Once all the idols are collected, all the players have to make it to the helicopter tile and someone has to have the helicopter rescue card for everyone to win. If the helicopter sinks, you lose. If there is no path left to the helicopter, you lose. There are two tiles for each idol on which you have to be to get that idol, if they both sink you lose. It's a pretty addicting game and we love it!
on September 8, 2016
Buy this game. Buy this game now! Don't even hesitate! Absolutely one of my favorite games ever! I just bought this and we have played it about 12 times so far. The first couple games were the learning ones but by the end of the second we were hooked. I love that it is more strategy over "I win!" type of game. You really need team work to win the game. I love that every game is different. My fiance and I have really enjoyed playing this after dinner as a chance to have some non-technology time. Really has helped us bond and have some silly fun. It's tough finding fun 2 player games, but this one is a winner!!
on March 5, 2017
A friend brought this to a small get-together, and it made an impression on me as a fun cooperative game. As a result, I bought this for the family as an xmas gift. Since it is fully cooperative, my 6-year old was able to play with me and my wife without getting frustrated (although her attention span may have given out a bit).

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.