Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,456 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,715 reviews
on July 20, 2011
Plenty of people have done an admirable job of explaining the games in their reviews, so this is instead an attempt at a comparison between a number of games, the pros and cons of each and which may suit different people best. The games in question are: Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Castle Panic, Smallworld, and Forbidden Island.

We have had Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne (with a number of expansion packs) for quite a few years now, and only recently added the other games above. We usually either play just as two adults, or with our two older children (age 9 and 8), and so our conclusions are based on how these games work in those settings. So here's what we've found:

Settlers of Catan
We got this around the same time as Carcassonne and initially just didn't latch onto it. Partly it's that it's supposed to be 3 players or more, and we often play as just two of us. Once we found online some instructions for playing as 2 players it came out more often, and as time's gone by it's become fairly 50-50 whether we play Settlers or Carcassonne on a quiet night in. The choice will usually depend on how much we want to think. With Settlers, you're always planning and calculating; with Carcassonne, you're taking it a card at a time.

Who should get it: Settlers is well-known as one of the great modern games. I'm not as sold on it as some people, and it takes quite a while to learn and feel comfortable with, but once you get the hang of it, it is an entertaining and enjoyable addition to a games collection. There are several 2-player rule variations out there if you need them and they work well (we found one that worked for us and we've stuck to it). But this isn't a game for kids; I would suspect not until they're 16 or so. Amongst other things, I think they'll find it too dull.

Carcassonne
This has been a favorite for years now, and everyone we've played it with has gone off to get it themselves. We usually play without farms because it then becomes less directly competitive and more sociable. Kids can play it, adults can play it, it's relaxed, it's fun and it's simple to learn. Here's one nice thing about it: you don't have to be constantly thinking and planning ahead. You don't know what card you're going to draw next time, so you just play one card at a time. You're encouraged to discuss where to put a card, and since you don't know what piece you're getting next, your comments to another player are usually pretty unbiased.

Who should get it: In my experience, pretty much anyone, except those who want ultra-competitive games. The first few expansion packs are also well worth getting, but don't bother with anything from Mayor onward.

Castle Panic
The kids love this one, again it's simple to learn and it has the added bonus of allowing them to get out their aggressive instincts and go postal on monsters! They don't like the `master slayer' option, but prefer just straight cooperative play. After the first few plays, I've found the basic game is too easy, and so we're experimenting with making it more challenging, such as starting with no walls, or drawing 3 monster cards at a time instead of 2. I think Castle Panic will become a game that we get out pretty regularly to play.

Who should get it: People with kids, who want to play cooperative games. Could be fun as a party game too!

Smallworld
While the kids have enjoyed playing this, I think their interest is starting to wane already. I suspect it will work better as a game with a group of adults, or when the kids are older. It has a lot going for it, especially the creative cards and board, but as others have noted - what's with the box for the tokens? Very poorly designed and adds unnecessary annoyance. Most of the time when playing we've found it's not too directly competitive, it's easier to attack lost tribes or declining races, so generally it doesn't get too personal!

Who should get it: I think this would make a fun addition to a games collection, but I don't think it would be a go-to game, especially with kids. The rules are more complicated to learn and explain than the other games, and this makes it hard to just sit down with new players and get on with a game. Having said that, we've enjoyed playing it , and I think it'll get pulled out every now and then over the years.

Forbidden Island
Although the kids would prefer Castle Panic, when we've played Forbidden Island (at my insistence!) they've thoroughly enjoyed it. As the island starts to collapse in a heap toward the end of the game, the tension levels rise and people are on the edge of their seats! The game always ends with voices rising in pitch and tension as cards get turned over - it's fun! It's a pure cooperative game, and that works well for us as a family - no one feels bad, we're all in it together. We're still using the `Normal' level of play, maybe we'll notch up a level soon!

Who should get it: If you like cooperative games, I think this is excellent to have. I love how easy it is to set different difficulty levels, and it's definitely the game that's had the most excited tension - Castle Panic has this at times, but not sustained (at least as the basic game). It doesn't have the whole monster thing going for it that Castle Panic does, and I think that's why the kids haven't latched onto it so quickly (kill trolls or wander round an island getting treasure - which is your average kid going to choose?) but I suspect that long-term it'll have more staying power.
1313 comments| 728 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2015
When I first saw the game, I thought it would be really difficult, with a lot of rules, but it intrigued me still, so I looked more into it. It's not. The explanation of the roles of the players, and of how the island works, is extensive, but necessary. And the game is challenging, yet easy to learn, and fun.

In a nut shell: up to four players select one of six roles, each with a different skill. They work together as a team versus The Island. Each player takes a turn, first consulting with the other players, and then consisting of three actions. In between each player's turn, the island has it's turn. The point is to collect the four treasures, and make it to the helicopter pad with everyone alive.

Fun, strategic, cooperative play. I recommend this game for families and friends.
on July 14, 2016
A fantastic choice for game night! I'm new to the world of collaborative games like Pandemic, but Forbidden Island strikes a perfect balance by being just difficult enough for failure to be likely, while being a quick enough experience to retry immediately when you inevitably fail and the island sinks.
on November 4, 2016
This is a great game! So far I've played it witha total of 2 people and 4 people and both games were equally enjoyable.

Contents:
The game comes in a nice metal container that holds everything nicely. The cards, "island" pieces, treasures and player pawns are all kept separate by an inserted piece of pressed plastic. The components themselves are high quality, and you will feel like you definitely got your money's worth.

Gameplay:
Directions are easy to read, allowing for even a beginner to pick up the game quickly. We set up and learned how to play the game within 15 minutes. The game is equally based on luck (based on where the shuffled tiles are placed and when you draw certain cards) as it is skill (how you use your individual characteristic to the teams advantage, how everyone works together). The games go quickly, they're usually over in 30 minutes. It's a great family game because it's COOPERATIVE which means no one is fighting one another! No more anger-flipping the game board when someone loses... Also, you can completely scale the game based on if you're an expert or novice, which would make this fun with little kids!

Overall:
Buy this game. It's a great quick game for the whole family! Highly recommended.
on September 19, 2017
Long time owner of this game. I enjoy it with my wife (she is more of a fan of Forbidden Desert), but as a dad this game is simply great with kids. I am writing a review now because I saw it was... $11! Are you kidding me!?! This game is phenomenal. It is a stellar co-op game, with great art, great mechanics, great components. And on top of using it as intended, the art is so good you can use it as an "I Spy" game with your younger kids. I simply cannot say enough good things about the game. If you are on the fence and worried about it being a cheap game because of the price, put those fears to rest. This is worth every penny.
Enthusiast: Board Gameson October 5, 2016
I do not know how Gamewright does it, but for the price they have made a game that is fun with great components. Cooperative game that is family friendly. It is "Pandemic" light. It is easy to learn & fast to play. The roles are easy to understand & game play flows easily. If you are looking for a cheap, easy, fun, travel friendly game Forbidden Island is for you!
on July 25, 2016
This is a great cooperative family game. . .interesting for adults and kids. The teenager enjoys it as well. The artwork is lovely and the components are top notch. I am very happy with this purchase. After playing Forbidden Island several times we also bought Forbidden Desert. That game is great as well, but Forbidden Island is the easier of the two (if you have younger kids definitely start with Forbidden Island). Forbidden Desert ups the intensity, which could be a good or bad thing depending upon your personality. There is a lot of fun packed into this game!
on May 11, 2017
This is by far one of my favorite games. I love how everyone works together against the game. You really have to work together as a team and plan out your turns. People who don't enjoy strategizing or participating can end up just doing what everyone tells them to do on their turn. This is really a game for people who want to work together to come up with the best possible course of action because this game is difficult! We've lost a lot!
You can set the difficulty level, however, since the board and characters change each game, even the easiest difficulty can be impossible in some playthroughs. Every game is different though since the "board" is never the same and there are so many different roles you can play! All these variations make it so this game never gets old! I definitely recommend this game!
on February 17, 2015
This is an awesome coop game of up to 4 players. They players are located on a sinking island and the island is sinking bit by bit. The island sinks slower at first but it speeds up. The challenge is to coordinate with the team mates, grab the 4 artifacts and make it to the helicopter pad before the whole island sinks in the ocean. The game causes an awesome tension as you can see more and more of the island sink. When you do win it's right under the wire and it's an awesome feeling.

You will lose this game multiple times however before you beat it. Don't let that discourage you though, it's a lot of fun.

There are 6 possible characters you can play as, each with different abilities and there are 4 players. This means that each game 2 characters are not into play and the experience is unique. What further makes it unique is the way the tiles are arranged. You never get the same island twice.

All in all an awesome game well worth the money if you enjoy cooperative games.
on January 15, 2015
"Forbidden Island" is a cooperative game where you all work together to capture four treasures (The Crystal of Fire, The Statue of the Wind, the Ocean's Chalice, and the Earth's Stone) hidden on the island. The island is designed to sink, however, should anyone attempt to capture these treasures, in an attempt to destroy you. Your must collect treasure cards and trade cards with your teammates so you can capture them and get to Fool's Landing before the island sinks and you all die!
This is an awesome game! I got it yesterday, and we lost the first two games we played! It takes a bit to get into the flow of things, but we played again and beat the island! It is pretty similar to "Pandemic"... the way turns go is pretty much the same, and there are many parallels and similarities in game play, but it has a unique theme. I think overall, I enjoy "Forbidden Island" more.
I highly recommend this great game! It could very easily become one of my favorites!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.