Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on June 13, 2010
I can't believe no one has reviewed these yet. Rory's Story Cubes are a fantastic toy/educational activity. Roll the dice, and create a story on your own, inspired by the images. Or create a cooperative story, with everyone adding to it. Add competitive elements, time limits, or points for using the most dice in your story. There are no limits to using these dice. The more you use them, play with them, and learn from them, the more ideas you will have for their use. The dice are also very well crafted and are a good size. You can also go to storycubes dot com to read other ideas for how to use the cubes, and to read some stories others have come up with. Kids of all ages can play! Parents, too!
33 comments| 679 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon July 9, 2010
This is one of those games where you say to yourself, "why in the world didn't I think of that?" It is so utterly simple: nine dice with different pictures on each face, create your own story, create your own rules. It is big on creativity yet is small enough to take anywhere. I play this with my nearly five year old, and what is great is that the dice provide just enough structure for kids to roll with (pun intended) without scripting the outcome. I am reminded of Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" when the couple sits down for dinner and is given conversation starters. But Rory's Cubes actually provide a challenge. Kids have to decide what the pictures are going to mean and then link them coherently. And they enjoy seeing what adults do with their rolls. It is a wonderful opportunity to model different narrative techniques. We use these most often when we go out to dinner (hats off to Monty Python) and the kids are impatiently waiting for their food; it is great to be able to take along a tiny game rather than a backpack full of books.

I was tipped off to Rory's Story Cubes from Jenny Williams' June 2010 review on Wired's GeekDad blog (likely the same Jenny Williams who first reviewed this for Amazon). Not long after the blog post, every on-line and brick and mortar outlet that I could find sold out of the game. If you want another very thorough review of the game, it is worth searching for her review.
11 comment| 373 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 24, 2015
There are a lot of positive reviews for this game so i don't think anyone will find this review but it turned out to be such a good buy that i had to say something. We just got the story cubes a few days ago and my 3 yo has had so much fun playing it. We've played a few types of games: roll three dice and tell a story; roll all the dice and reroll what you don't want, then tell a story, etc. I was pretty surprised by how well she recognized some of the dice images like the bridge and the scales. We've played a bunch of games and i know she will want to play more. Trying to save it for when we eat out at restaurants or plane trips, but she keeps asking for it. Will have to pick up some other sets/expansions for more story-telling variety.

Well done Rory, well done indeed.
on December 10, 2017
I have had similar ones in the past for my 10 year old daughter when she was younger. She really loved them and would play with them by herself or ask for us to play with her. I was looking for a present for a friend's 6 year old daughter. I saw these. I know she homeschools her children. They are all readers. So I thought this might be something her daughter would like and could be creative with. I wasn't wrong. These are a great quality and original.
on December 13, 2011
I bought these for my 4 year old step-son who loves to hear and tell stories. I did not even read the reviews because the product description sufficed. The cubes came (shipped free through Prime) two days after I ordered them. I showed them to my son and he asked what they were. I told him they were story cubes and that you look at the pictures and tell a story. He asked what the story was about and I told him "anything you want." That was it and he started telling!! He is hilarious anyway, but I laughed so hard at the first story he told that I cried. He looked at the hand and decided that it was The Hand of God and the book pic was God's Word and so on an so forth. I never prompted him, even when he named what I thought was a Pyramid a "Spiderweb" and what I thought was fire "a dragon." I recommend not trying to correct the storyteller since the objects are part of their own story, not yours. He TOTALLY got it!! He has played with them several times a day in the past 3 weeks since they arrived. He is in no way bored with them.

I took them to school where I work as a Day Treatment counselor and used them for group and individual sessions. Now, I will note that some kids are better "natural" storytellers than others, and it comes much easier to them. But they all liked them a lot. In one session, a boy had just gotten into a fight with another student and I asked him to tell me about the incident. He rolled the cubes and ended up telling the story of what he would like to do to the kid who "wronged" him. I allowed him to continue and only redirected him when he used the "cane" cube in the story for a lude and potentially illegal act, eh hem....He thought it was great that he got to vent and there were no repercussions...Then I asked him to tell the story in a way in which everyone could walk away feeling good...and alive...:) He did so and it really showed me that he understood the concept of conflict resolution and using skills he learned in counseling to cope with peer relations. I was very impressed as was he and it gave me more insight into his capabilities than any previous session we had had together.

One child, who's father is incarcerated even decided to record her stories on her Ipod as she told them, so she could share them with him on her next visit. She was very excited! I admit, I teared up on that one...

Needless to say, I took them back home and was mauled at the door by my son who had turned the house upside down after school in his search for the cubes. I ordered the new "action cubes" and they arrived sooner than they were supposed to. I am currently hiding them in the trunk of my car for a stocking stuffer. He probably won't want to play with the new Leapster Tablet I got him after he opens them. But that is a risk I am willing to take.
on May 7, 2015
My boyfriend and I decided to pick up RSC:Voyages at Target a couple of months ago to try it out. We both loved it, so I decided to order the other sets. I have no regrets.
Pros:
-Easy to play. No real instructions, no set-up. Figure out which suggested way you like best or come up with your own method.
-Portable. I've put all the sets into one of my dice bags & carry it in my purse. We can pull it out most anywhere & play.
-Versatile. We've had raunchy stories with adults, silly stories with kids, dark ones, drunk ones. There are so many possible combinations & when you're playing with other people, the stories are always going to be something new. Many of us in my group of friends are avid DnD players, so we love telling & really shaping the storyline & playing off each other.
-Solo play. I've used this for writing, to telling my kid bedtime stories, to just entertaining myself.
-Great with Kids. I've played this with kids ages 5-9. They really enjoyed getting to contribute to a story in their own way, whether it be super serious or super silly. I've also played a bit with my 3 year old, who has a way of inserting himself into the game. We let him pick whatever cube & side he wants, say what he wants about it, and then he goes on his merry way. We keep his input most of the time & call him our "wild card". :)

Cons:
-I honestly can't think of any except I suppose the cubes aren't that hard to lose. Luckily, there are enough that it won't really take away from your game-play. It's just basic "keep your things together" logic that will prevent this. Like I said before, I keep all of mine in a dicebag. It's a small, 4x6" drawstring pouch. Problem solved.

I love this set of games & recommend it to anyone looking for a game that encourages creative thinking.
VINE VOICEon September 13, 2014
I read an interview with Stephen King once where he recounted his favorite game growing up. It was called "Finish the Story" and involved a group of children taking turns, incrementally inventing a story in short segments. I also enjoyed playing this game as a kid and with my own children, but it has occasionally fallen flat with larger groups unaccustomed to the game. This little bag of "story cubes" and a 60 second timer fixes all of that by providing a pictographic idea (and a time limit). These are always in the car for family reunions, or in my pack on group camping trips. I've yet to be disappointed in the progress of a game since discovering these magical cubes.
on June 30, 2013
Sometimes you need to kick your brain to get it into gear. Rory's Story Cubes provide you with the boot to the head.

Wait, that was the other two reviews. This is the one where I tell you that you used to have a strong, fit and flexible imagination but it's gotten flabby, weak, and out of shape from a steady diet of televised reality shows and horrible movies and generally watching other people's stories. and that you need to get your imagination back in shape.

This is the original set, the "orange box". The dice are printed in black, not orange, but they're different from the other two sets, which is convenient for sorting if you have multiple sets.

You do NOT have to have more than one set to have fun with these dice.

They're simple to use, and if you need rules, the box has some games you can play, but the simplest is to take one die out of the nine, roll it, and describe what is happening. Two dice, you can bridge between the ideas, which requires making more stuff up out of your head. Three, and it's a short story.

For the Advanced Imagination Trainer: If you like these, see if you also want Rory's Story Cubes Voyages "green box", and Rory's Story Cubes Actions "blue box" to give you more options.

This set of nine six-sided dice has 54 different glyphs that can be used by themselves or grouped with the other dice in this series to provide the idea seeds you need.
on December 6, 2011
I was following a writer on Twitter and she spoke often and highly of these "cubes". After reading about the story cubes so much, I became quite intrigued with them, so I decided to do some research on the company's website, as well as Amazon.com and found the item. Which, I had to admit, are reasonably priced (less than $7 as of the time of this review). The game's website also listed an iPhone app was also available in the iTunes App store. Since I had an iPad, I decided to purchase the game.

Now, I did this for two reasons:

1. It would give me a chance to preview the "game" to see if it was something I wanted.

If I didn't want it, although I would be out $4.99, I could always delete it and "no harm, no foul". I wouldn't have a physical item to find a place for. Although it is relatively small (stocking stuffer material), I did not know that at the time.

2. The digital version would give me the chance to use the app while on a road trip without worrying about the pieces getting lost.

I was pleasantly surprised by the app. I could either shake my iPad or the button for the dice to "roll". There are 54 different images to spark the imagination by trying to link all nine of the images that show.

As a result, I decided the physical item would be better for my purposes.

There are countless ways to use this game. Unlike the digital version; if I like certain dice images, but not the others, I can always "hold" the ones I like and re-roll. This is similar to the game of Yahtzee where you try to roll for the highest possible hand.

With regard to the size, the game slips easily into a small purse for travel. The length is slightly smaller than my HTC Evo phone, and comparable in width (less than a 1/2 inch difference). In height it would be as thick as two HTC Evo phones. If you have room for an HTC Evo, you have room for the game. The dice are held in by a flimsy plastic barrier, but the case is a strong "hard-bound book" quality board, with a magnetic closure.

The dice are a durable hard plastic. The images are not painted on the dice, they are etched into the sides. At less than $10, this is a durable product and a wise investment for those looking to write or to build creativity in children, whether for play or even for research. It is not only fun, but educational as well.

Given the nature of some of the images I would say the best age is the recommended 8+. Although, I personally would recommend no younger than 12.
review image
on January 12, 2014
Do you love being silly? I thought this game was the best of many worlds: somewhat educational and hopefully loads of fun. I always enjoyed playing Mad Libs, which combines your ability to randomly add parts of speech to a story that doesn't match, creating a very silly story.

Well, this game gives a similar situation; making up silly stories. Everyone rolls the picture dice (no reading necessary) and then starts creating a story with the images on the tops of each dice. The next player rolls and tries to continue "writing" the story. The more non-sensical it gets the funnier it is. This is a great opportunity for people of every age to play together, using their imaginations and giggling galore.

My youngest son just gave it a thumbs up, my teen I don't believe was so thrilled, not all of my grown up relatives love it, but they aren't kids at heart like me. Would be great as a school game and it's easy to travel; it's just a bunch of dice. They also sell other dice combinations (voyages, once upon a time and actions). Best of all, easy to afford. A nice gift to give with a gift certificate!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.