Beauty Summer Reading Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Rory's Story Cubes
Size: Standard|Change

on March 21, 2016
I gave these as a gift to a young relative who loved to tell "tall tales" but who was not quite grasping the difference between being untruthful and sharing a fanciful story. Playing with these story cubes with him gave me an opportunity to explain that it is okay to tell made up stories if you tell people you've made the story up, but not okay to trick people by telling them a story you've made up is true. He really enjoyed using these cubes to make up his own stories and I really enjoyed watching him be creative in a healthy/productive way. I had to add a few additional rules as we went along, such as no stories involving poop (not that I'm opposed to poop stories, but he wanted to make "and then he pooped!" the punch line of every single story). At the end of every story he came up with, I would ask him, "did that really happen?" and he would say something like, "only in my imagination."

Imagining stories is fun and healthy. Trying to pass untruthful stories off as truth is not. This is a very simple toy that helped convey that message and was also a lot of fun. The lesson I was trying to convey must not have come across as too heavy-handed since he has asked to play this game again several times since then.
7 people found this helpful
on November 24, 2015
There are a lot of positive reviews for this game so i don't think anyone will find this review but it turned out to be such a good buy that i had to say something. We just got the story cubes a few days ago and my 3 yo has had so much fun playing it. We've played a few types of games: roll three dice and tell a story; roll all the dice and reroll what you don't want, then tell a story, etc. I was pretty surprised by how well she recognized some of the dice images like the bridge and the scales. We've played a bunch of games and i know she will want to play more. Trying to save it for when we eat out at restaurants or plane trips, but she keeps asking for it. Will have to pick up some other sets/expansions for more story-telling variety.

Well done Rory, well done indeed.
8 people found this helpful
on December 30, 2010
Sheep
Tree
Sad Face

Once there was a tree and a sad boy who got eaten by a sheep.
That was a 4.5 year old boy's first story after rolling 3 dice... his stories have gotten a little more elaborate since then (5 days ago) but not any less amusing.
Good for the imagination and for building verbal skills.. and for a laugh, especially when you've got a group of people (all ages) willing to participate.
Dice are as pictured.. rounded corners and measuring about .75" on all sides. The box is a sturdy cardboard box that opens like a book, with a magnetic flap on the side to keep it closed.
123 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon July 9, 2010
This is one of those games where you say to yourself, "why in the world didn't I think of that?" It is so utterly simple: nine dice with different pictures on each face, create your own story, create your own rules. It is big on creativity yet is small enough to take anywhere. I play this with my nearly five year old, and what is great is that the dice provide just enough structure for kids to roll with (pun intended) without scripting the outcome. I am reminded of Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" when the couple sits down for dinner and is given conversation starters. But Rory's Cubes actually provide a challenge. Kids have to decide what the pictures are going to mean and then link them coherently. And they enjoy seeing what adults do with their rolls. It is a wonderful opportunity to model different narrative techniques. We use these most often when we go out to dinner (hats off to Monty Python) and the kids are impatiently waiting for their food; it is great to be able to take along a tiny game rather than a backpack full of books.

I was tipped off to Rory's Story Cubes from Jenny Williams' June 2010 review on Wired's GeekDad blog (likely the same Jenny Williams who first reviewed this for Amazon). Not long after the blog post, every on-line and brick and mortar outlet that I could find sold out of the game. If you want another very thorough review of the game, it is worth searching for her review.
374 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 16, 2016
These are amazing for family fun and it can be used with much younger children too. My youngest is four and he's been able to play with his brother and sister for about a year now (dice are small, regular size dice though so of course monitor young kids for choking hazard).

We mainly use it to help our first grade twins with their sentences. You know how the teacher will tell them to make up silly sentences using their spelling words for the week? I must have the most uncreative kids on the planet because those homework assignments used to take hours. No lie. Anyway, now I have them use the story dice to help them think of their sentences and it takes like 10 minutes to do the same assignment. The year is 3/4 through and their less dependent on the story dice now but they still enjoy playing with them.
3 people found this helpful
on April 23, 2016
I have never played this game before until I ordered it and I am impressed with it. It is so much fun to roll the dice and create your own story line. And the fun part is how each story is created all based on the roll of the dice! I love this game!!! The pictures on each face of the dice is clear to understand so it makes storytelling even more fun with friends and family. The more the game is played and understood, the more experience everyone will get with it and the storytelling will get better, more fun, and improve! If you have your kids, nieces or nephews around that are younger, try playing this game with them and I promise you the laughs will go on for hours. You can even have an adult session playing this game if you choose to so imagine what those stories will be like! That is also fun. If you do not have this game in your collection I highly recommend you add it. I have a friend overseas who teaches kids everyday and I am purchasing this game for him to send as a gift for his kids. Have fun telling cool stories!
on June 13, 2010
I can't believe no one has reviewed these yet. Rory's Story Cubes are a fantastic toy/educational activity. Roll the dice, and create a story on your own, inspired by the images. Or create a cooperative story, with everyone adding to it. Add competitive elements, time limits, or points for using the most dice in your story. There are no limits to using these dice. The more you use them, play with them, and learn from them, the more ideas you will have for their use. The dice are also very well crafted and are a good size. You can also go to storycubes dot com to read other ideas for how to use the cubes, and to read some stories others have come up with. Kids of all ages can play! Parents, too!
680 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on December 10, 2017
I have had similar ones in the past for my 10 year old daughter when she was younger. She really loved them and would play with them by herself or ask for us to play with her. I was looking for a present for a friend's 6 year old daughter. I saw these. I know she homeschools her children. They are all readers. So I thought this might be something her daughter would like and could be creative with. I wasn't wrong. These are a great quality and original.
on June 7, 2017
These cubes are a lot of fun and work well with group activities and ice breakers. It's open-ended, so rolling a book, a sheep, and a speech bubble can turn into a story about an intelligent sheep who does public speeches about the books he writes or a fairy tale about Little Bo Peep and all of the conversations she has with other fairy tale creatures. I bought them hoping to get some inspiration and prompts for a story I was writing for National Novel Writing, and they don't work as well if you already have a story in mind and try to make something fit into the story.
on May 27, 2018
When you buy something on Amazon, you want to feel worthy to feel worthy to have purchased it.
You want to feel like you can achieve great things.
You want it to make you feel courageous in life.
You want it to make you feel like you are more than enough.
You want it to make you feel blessed and thankful;
To make you focus on the good and laugh;
To stand up tall, like a warrior.
You want it to make you seek out strange new worlds and mindsets.
While this purchase does not achieve any of those sentiments, it does the job and I'm happy!
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.