Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,160 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,291 reviews
This is one of those games where you say to yourself, "why in the world didn't I think of that?" It is so utterly simple: nine dice with different pictures on each face, create your own story, create your own rules. It is big on creativity yet is small enough to take anywhere. I play this with my nearly five year old, and what is great is that the dice provide just enough structure for kids to roll with (pun intended) without scripting the outcome. I am reminded of Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" when the couple sits down for dinner and is given conversation starters. But Rory's Cubes actually provide a challenge. Kids have to decide what the pictures are going to mean and then link them coherently. And they enjoy seeing what adults do with their rolls. It is a wonderful opportunity to model different narrative techniques. We use these most often when we go out to dinner (hats off to Monty Python) and the kids are impatiently waiting for their food; it is great to be able to take along a tiny game rather than a backpack full of books.

I was tipped off to Rory's Story Cubes from Jenny Williams' June 2010 review on Wired's GeekDad blog (likely the same Jenny Williams who first reviewed this for Amazon). Not long after the blog post, every on-line and brick and mortar outlet that I could find sold out of the game. If you want another very thorough review of the game, it is worth searching for her review.
11 comment| 372 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2011
This is such a simple little gift that it can be underestimated. I bought it as a stocking stuffer and, to be honest, it's the only game my son has used all year long in a variety of situations. It's so small, it's great for travel. My son is 12 and he even brought it with us to a restaurant last week when we were meeting some friends from out of town. He knew the adults would want to talk for a while, so he and their two sons sat at an adjacent table and had a blast playing this game. I'd much rather see kids connecting on that level instead of mindlessly looking at TV screens that are so often on walls of restaurants these days. My 5 year old niece LOVES this game and the beauty of it is that a broad range of ages can play this game since no reading is required. Basically, you toss the dice and create your own story based on the pictures that land face up after your toss. I'm not a game person, so most games are lost on me. What I love about this game is there are no complicated rules. They have an outline of recommended use of the dice, but my son has created his own game with them. The price is well worth it and the game is well made and will last for years.
VINE VOICEon December 23, 2012
My husband and I picked these out as a nice holiday gift for a couple of children we like to get a gift every year. We were hoping to find something that both an eight-year old girl and a four-year old boy could have a spot of fun with and settled on these and are delighted we found them.

I inspected this item before we shipped it off to the recipients and was particularly impressed with the packaging. These story cubes sit nicely inside the packaging in the photo above and are kept safe through the use of a magnetic closure that is unlikely to "break open" if the box takes a tumble. It also helps give the box a little meat which is nice considering its smaller size.

Because the imagination is what pushes this game along, I feel like these are a great gift, truly, for a child of any age who can understand A) how to make up a story and B) identify pictures. A younger child can enjoy the opportunity for undivided attention while telling a tall tale while older children can attempt to make their story more complex or add different rules to the "game" to make it more challenging.

I also get the feeling that these cubes would probably make a nice writing exercise game for those who sometimes suffer from writer's block since it forces you to make up a story within certain constraints and gets the mind moving again.

The base elements of this game are simple, but one can literally take it anywhere. For the price, I don't think the entertainment value can be beaten.
on June 9, 2015
Sigh. I am in love. What is my favorite part about this game? The fact that the directions can be read in 3 sentences, on the inside cover of the tiny storage box it gives three suggestions for how to start the game. I hate reading game directions and the learning curve of new games. This one is easy to begin so it lends itself to a party setting PERFECTLY or for varying ages of kids - all can participate because no one needs to know how to read.

No batteries needed either :)

Box is super small, could fit in a cargo pant pocket :)

Box has a strong magnet built into the side to easily seal the box for storage or travel. :)

Game can travel in the car - just roll the die inside the box. :)

Perfect activity to haul in the diaper bag, take to grandmas, etc.
on September 29, 2016
Fun time killer for long car drives. We have added this to our bundle of road trip games. The dice all have various pictures on them. each person takes turns coming up with a story using the face up sides of the dice that are rolled. We have heard some pretty rediculous and creative stories. Fun game to add to the road trip mix.
on May 18, 2017
I bought two sets of these for my 5th grade classroom and am considering ordering another set. Sometimes I use these with the whole group and other times I will give a set to a small group and have them come up with their own story. There are enough cubes in the set to easily divide into 3 sets. These have been well used and look just as good as when I purchased them! Great creative writing starter or oral story work.
on January 22, 2013
I have only known one person named Rory, and he was sort of a tool and in a terrible boogie blues band. I am 100% certain that he did not make these cubes, and probably does not own a set either. When I was really young I had to go to speech therapy for a long time and it developed a sort of strange, probably pathological love for off-beat teaching aids. I am also certain that if these existed 20 years ago my speech pathologist would have had some and made me narrate ridiculous situations involving the little pictures on them. She did have a deck of cards with little pictograms that were essentially the exact same thing except in card form. I guess it's not a new idea. That being said, rolling dice is a really satisfying experience no matter what the reason is.

It is a sort of goofy way to inspire creativity. The pictures are simple and intentionally vague, and you can interpret them in multiple different ways much like the symbols on the Golden Compass from His Dark Materials. You can make a short story about a sheep on a flaming airplane, or interpret the sheep as someone who is dull and easily influenced and prone to making loud bleating noises, the airplane as any sort of long-distance travel, and the flame as inspiration, and all of a sudden from the same three images you suddenly have a story about going on a road trip with the most annoying person in the world (A future New York Times Bestseller). There are a lot of applications for these, and all of them end up being fun.
on March 8, 2017
Best game ever! My niece got it for Christmas and I loved it so much I went straight to Amazon and bought three more sets. One for me and two as gifts! Such a fun easy game to play and adapt to any age or attention level. Highly recommend!
on March 21, 2016
I gave these as a gift to a young relative who loved to tell "tall tales" but who was not quite grasping the difference between being untruthful and sharing a fanciful story. Playing with these story cubes with him gave me an opportunity to explain that it is okay to tell made up stories if you tell people you've made the story up, but not okay to trick people by telling them a story you've made up is true. He really enjoyed using these cubes to make up his own stories and I really enjoyed watching him be creative in a healthy/productive way. I had to add a few additional rules as we went along, such as no stories involving poop (not that I'm opposed to poop stories, but he wanted to make "and then he pooped!" the punch line of every single story). At the end of every story he came up with, I would ask him, "did that really happen?" and he would say something like, "only in my imagination."

Imagining stories is fun and healthy. Trying to pass untruthful stories off as truth is not. This is a very simple toy that helped convey that message and was also a lot of fun. The lesson I was trying to convey must not have come across as too heavy-handed since he has asked to play this game again several times since then.
VINE VOICEon September 13, 2014
I read an interview with Stephen King once where he recounted his favorite game growing up. It was called "Finish the Story" and involved a group of children taking turns, incrementally inventing a story in short segments. I also enjoyed playing this game as a kid and with my own children, but it has occasionally fallen flat with larger groups unaccustomed to the game. This little bag of "story cubes" and a 60 second timer fixes all of that by providing a pictographic idea (and a time limit). These are always in the car for family reunions, or in my pack on group camping trips. I've yet to be disappointed in the progress of a game since discovering these magical cubes.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.