Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,142 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,271 reviews
This is one of those games where you say to yourself, "why in the world didn't I think of that?" It is so utterly simple: nine dice with different pictures on each face, create your own story, create your own rules. It is big on creativity yet is small enough to take anywhere. I play this with my nearly five year old, and what is great is that the dice provide just enough structure for kids to roll with (pun intended) without scripting the outcome. I am reminded of Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" when the couple sits down for dinner and is given conversation starters. But Rory's Cubes actually provide a challenge. Kids have to decide what the pictures are going to mean and then link them coherently. And they enjoy seeing what adults do with their rolls. It is a wonderful opportunity to model different narrative techniques. We use these most often when we go out to dinner (hats off to Monty Python) and the kids are impatiently waiting for their food; it is great to be able to take along a tiny game rather than a backpack full of books.

I was tipped off to Rory's Story Cubes from Jenny Williams' June 2010 review on Wired's GeekDad blog (likely the same Jenny Williams who first reviewed this for Amazon). Not long after the blog post, every on-line and brick and mortar outlet that I could find sold out of the game. If you want another very thorough review of the game, it is worth searching for her review.
11 comment| 368 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
Sheep
Tree
Sad Face

Once there was a tree and a sad boy who got eaten by a sheep.
That was a 4.5 year old boy's first story after rolling 3 dice... his stories have gotten a little more elaborate since then (5 days ago) but not any less amusing.
Good for the imagination and for building verbal skills.. and for a laugh, especially when you've got a group of people (all ages) willing to participate.
Dice are as pictured.. rounded corners and measuring about .75" on all sides. The box is a sturdy cardboard box that opens like a book, with a magnetic flap on the side to keep it closed.
55 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2011
This is such a simple little gift that it can be underestimated. I bought it as a stocking stuffer and, to be honest, it's the only game my son has used all year long in a variety of situations. It's so small, it's great for travel. My son is 12 and he even brought it with us to a restaurant last week when we were meeting some friends from out of town. He knew the adults would want to talk for a while, so he and their two sons sat at an adjacent table and had a blast playing this game. I'd much rather see kids connecting on that level instead of mindlessly looking at TV screens that are so often on walls of restaurants these days. My 5 year old niece LOVES this game and the beauty of it is that a broad range of ages can play this game since no reading is required. Basically, you toss the dice and create your own story based on the pictures that land face up after your toss. I'm not a game person, so most games are lost on me. What I love about this game is there are no complicated rules. They have an outline of recommended use of the dice, but my son has created his own game with them. The price is well worth it and the game is well made and will last for years.
on November 24, 2015
There are a lot of positive reviews for this game so i don't think anyone will find this review but it turned out to be such a good buy that i had to say something. We just got the story cubes a few days ago and my 3 yo has had so much fun playing it. We've played a few types of games: roll three dice and tell a story; roll all the dice and reroll what you don't want, then tell a story, etc. I was pretty surprised by how well she recognized some of the dice images like the bridge and the scales. We've played a bunch of games and i know she will want to play more. Trying to save it for when we eat out at restaurants or plane trips, but she keeps asking for it. Will have to pick up some other sets/expansions for more story-telling variety.

Well done Rory, well done indeed.
on March 16, 2016
These are amazing for family fun and it can be used with much younger children too. My youngest is four and he's been able to play with his brother and sister for about a year now (dice are small, regular size dice though so of course monitor young kids for choking hazard).

We mainly use it to help our first grade twins with their sentences. You know how the teacher will tell them to make up silly sentences using their spelling words for the week? I must have the most uncreative kids on the planet because those homework assignments used to take hours. No lie. Anyway, now I have them use the story dice to help them think of their sentences and it takes like 10 minutes to do the same assignment. The year is 3/4 through and their less dependent on the story dice now but they still enjoy playing with them.
on September 29, 2016
Fun time killer for long car drives. We have added this to our bundle of road trip games. The dice all have various pictures on them. each person takes turns coming up with a story using the face up sides of the dice that are rolled. We have heard some pretty rediculous and creative stories. Fun game to add to the road trip mix.
on January 22, 2013
I have only known one person named Rory, and he was sort of a tool and in a terrible boogie blues band. I am 100% certain that he did not make these cubes, and probably does not own a set either. When I was really young I had to go to speech therapy for a long time and it developed a sort of strange, probably pathological love for off-beat teaching aids. I am also certain that if these existed 20 years ago my speech pathologist would have had some and made me narrate ridiculous situations involving the little pictures on them. She did have a deck of cards with little pictograms that were essentially the exact same thing except in card form. I guess it's not a new idea. That being said, rolling dice is a really satisfying experience no matter what the reason is.

It is a sort of goofy way to inspire creativity. The pictures are simple and intentionally vague, and you can interpret them in multiple different ways much like the symbols on the Golden Compass from His Dark Materials. You can make a short story about a sheep on a flaming airplane, or interpret the sheep as someone who is dull and easily influenced and prone to making loud bleating noises, the airplane as any sort of long-distance travel, and the flame as inspiration, and all of a sudden from the same three images you suddenly have a story about going on a road trip with the most annoying person in the world (A future New York Times Bestseller). There are a lot of applications for these, and all of them end up being fun.
on May 18, 2017
I bought two sets of these for my 5th grade classroom and am considering ordering another set. Sometimes I use these with the whole group and other times I will give a set to a small group and have them come up with their own story. There are enough cubes in the set to easily divide into 3 sets. These have been well used and look just as good as when I purchased them! Great creative writing starter or oral story work.
on March 21, 2016
I gave these as a gift to a young relative who loved to tell "tall tales" but who was not quite grasping the difference between being untruthful and sharing a fanciful story. Playing with these story cubes with him gave me an opportunity to explain that it is okay to tell made up stories if you tell people you've made the story up, but not okay to trick people by telling them a story you've made up is true. He really enjoyed using these cubes to make up his own stories and I really enjoyed watching him be creative in a healthy/productive way. I had to add a few additional rules as we went along, such as no stories involving poop (not that I'm opposed to poop stories, but he wanted to make "and then he pooped!" the punch line of every single story). At the end of every story he came up with, I would ask him, "did that really happen?" and he would say something like, "only in my imagination."

Imagining stories is fun and healthy. Trying to pass untruthful stories off as truth is not. This is a very simple toy that helped convey that message and was also a lot of fun. The lesson I was trying to convey must not have come across as too heavy-handed since he has asked to play this game again several times since then.
on December 28, 2015
Game idea is great but the quality of the product is terrible. It's total bait and switch, you do not get real dice as pictured, at least not the version we received. They are cheap plastic cubes without any engravings, you are given stickers to put on the cubes. The stickers are even cheap quality, when you peel them off, they tear!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.