Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,153 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,283 reviews
This is one of those games where you say to yourself, "why in the world didn't I think of that?" It is so utterly simple: nine dice with different pictures on each face, create your own story, create your own rules. It is big on creativity yet is small enough to take anywhere. I play this with my nearly five year old, and what is great is that the dice provide just enough structure for kids to roll with (pun intended) without scripting the outcome. I am reminded of Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" when the couple sits down for dinner and is given conversation starters. But Rory's Cubes actually provide a challenge. Kids have to decide what the pictures are going to mean and then link them coherently. And they enjoy seeing what adults do with their rolls. It is a wonderful opportunity to model different narrative techniques. We use these most often when we go out to dinner (hats off to Monty Python) and the kids are impatiently waiting for their food; it is great to be able to take along a tiny game rather than a backpack full of books.

I was tipped off to Rory's Story Cubes from Jenny Williams' June 2010 review on Wired's GeekDad blog (likely the same Jenny Williams who first reviewed this for Amazon). Not long after the blog post, every on-line and brick and mortar outlet that I could find sold out of the game. If you want another very thorough review of the game, it is worth searching for her review.
11 comment| 372 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
Sheep
Tree
Sad Face

Once there was a tree and a sad boy who got eaten by a sheep.
That was a 4.5 year old boy's first story after rolling 3 dice... his stories have gotten a little more elaborate since then (5 days ago) but not any less amusing.
Good for the imagination and for building verbal skills.. and for a laugh, especially when you've got a group of people (all ages) willing to participate.
Dice are as pictured.. rounded corners and measuring about .75" on all sides. The box is a sturdy cardboard box that opens like a book, with a magnetic flap on the side to keep it closed.
55 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2011
This is such a simple little gift that it can be underestimated. I bought it as a stocking stuffer and, to be honest, it's the only game my son has used all year long in a variety of situations. It's so small, it's great for travel. My son is 12 and he even brought it with us to a restaurant last week when we were meeting some friends from out of town. He knew the adults would want to talk for a while, so he and their two sons sat at an adjacent table and had a blast playing this game. I'd much rather see kids connecting on that level instead of mindlessly looking at TV screens that are so often on walls of restaurants these days. My 5 year old niece LOVES this game and the beauty of it is that a broad range of ages can play this game since no reading is required. Basically, you toss the dice and create your own story based on the pictures that land face up after your toss. I'm not a game person, so most games are lost on me. What I love about this game is there are no complicated rules. They have an outline of recommended use of the dice, but my son has created his own game with them. The price is well worth it and the game is well made and will last for years.
on November 24, 2015
There are a lot of positive reviews for this game so i don't think anyone will find this review but it turned out to be such a good buy that i had to say something. We just got the story cubes a few days ago and my 3 yo has had so much fun playing it. We've played a few types of games: roll three dice and tell a story; roll all the dice and reroll what you don't want, then tell a story, etc. I was pretty surprised by how well she recognized some of the dice images like the bridge and the scales. We've played a bunch of games and i know she will want to play more. Trying to save it for when we eat out at restaurants or plane trips, but she keeps asking for it. Will have to pick up some other sets/expansions for more story-telling variety.

Well done Rory, well done indeed.
on March 16, 2016
These are amazing for family fun and it can be used with much younger children too. My youngest is four and he's been able to play with his brother and sister for about a year now (dice are small, regular size dice though so of course monitor young kids for choking hazard).

We mainly use it to help our first grade twins with their sentences. You know how the teacher will tell them to make up silly sentences using their spelling words for the week? I must have the most uncreative kids on the planet because those homework assignments used to take hours. No lie. Anyway, now I have them use the story dice to help them think of their sentences and it takes like 10 minutes to do the same assignment. The year is 3/4 through and their less dependent on the story dice now but they still enjoy playing with them.
on June 7, 2017
These cubes are a lot of fun and work well with group activities and ice breakers. It's open-ended, so rolling a book, a sheep, and a speech bubble can turn into a story about an intelligent sheep who does public speeches about the books he writes or a fairy tale about Little Bo Peep and all of the conversations she has with other fairy tale creatures. I bought them hoping to get some inspiration and prompts for a story I was writing for National Novel Writing, and they don't work as well if you already have a story in mind and try to make something fit into the story.
VINE VOICEon December 23, 2012
My husband and I picked these out as a nice holiday gift for a couple of children we like to get a gift every year. We were hoping to find something that both an eight-year old girl and a four-year old boy could have a spot of fun with and settled on these and are delighted we found them.

I inspected this item before we shipped it off to the recipients and was particularly impressed with the packaging. These story cubes sit nicely inside the packaging in the photo above and are kept safe through the use of a magnetic closure that is unlikely to "break open" if the box takes a tumble. It also helps give the box a little meat which is nice considering its smaller size.

Because the imagination is what pushes this game along, I feel like these are a great gift, truly, for a child of any age who can understand A) how to make up a story and B) identify pictures. A younger child can enjoy the opportunity for undivided attention while telling a tall tale while older children can attempt to make their story more complex or add different rules to the "game" to make it more challenging.

I also get the feeling that these cubes would probably make a nice writing exercise game for those who sometimes suffer from writer's block since it forces you to make up a story within certain constraints and gets the mind moving again.

The base elements of this game are simple, but one can literally take it anywhere. For the price, I don't think the entertainment value can be beaten.
on June 9, 2015
Sigh. I am in love. What is my favorite part about this game? The fact that the directions can be read in 3 sentences, on the inside cover of the tiny storage box it gives three suggestions for how to start the game. I hate reading game directions and the learning curve of new games. This one is easy to begin so it lends itself to a party setting PERFECTLY or for varying ages of kids - all can participate because no one needs to know how to read.

No batteries needed either :)

Box is super small, could fit in a cargo pant pocket :)

Box has a strong magnet built into the side to easily seal the box for storage or travel. :)

Game can travel in the car - just roll the die inside the box. :)

Perfect activity to haul in the diaper bag, take to grandmas, etc.
on September 29, 2016
Fun time killer for long car drives. We have added this to our bundle of road trip games. The dice all have various pictures on them. each person takes turns coming up with a story using the face up sides of the dice that are rolled. We have heard some pretty rediculous and creative stories. Fun game to add to the road trip mix.
on May 18, 2017
I bought two sets of these for my 5th grade classroom and am considering ordering another set. Sometimes I use these with the whole group and other times I will give a set to a small group and have them come up with their own story. There are enough cubes in the set to easily divide into 3 sets. These have been well used and look just as good as when I purchased them! Great creative writing starter or oral story work.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.