Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,136 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,263 reviews
on December 26, 2010
This gift was a hit with 11, 14 and 15 year old boys. They got into it. Don't know how long it could be played and still be entertaining but it the boys didn't want to quit the night they got it. It would be a good car game for long drives and an occasional game on nights you want to pull them away from video games.
This is one of those games where you say to yourself, "why in the world didn't I think of that?" It is so utterly simple: nine dice with different pictures on each face, create your own story, create your own rules. It is big on creativity yet is small enough to take anywhere. I play this with my nearly five year old, and what is great is that the dice provide just enough structure for kids to roll with (pun intended) without scripting the outcome. I am reminded of Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" when the couple sits down for dinner and is given conversation starters. But Rory's Cubes actually provide a challenge. Kids have to decide what the pictures are going to mean and then link them coherently. And they enjoy seeing what adults do with their rolls. It is a wonderful opportunity to model different narrative techniques. We use these most often when we go out to dinner (hats off to Monty Python) and the kids are impatiently waiting for their food; it is great to be able to take along a tiny game rather than a backpack full of books.

I was tipped off to Rory's Story Cubes from Jenny Williams' June 2010 review on Wired's GeekDad blog (likely the same Jenny Williams who first reviewed this for Amazon). Not long after the blog post, every on-line and brick and mortar outlet that I could find sold out of the game. If you want another very thorough review of the game, it is worth searching for her review.
11 comment| 368 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
Sheep
Tree
Sad Face

Once there was a tree and a sad boy who got eaten by a sheep.
That was a 4.5 year old boy's first story after rolling 3 dice... his stories have gotten a little more elaborate since then (5 days ago) but not any less amusing.
Good for the imagination and for building verbal skills.. and for a laugh, especially when you've got a group of people (all ages) willing to participate.
Dice are as pictured.. rounded corners and measuring about .75" on all sides. The box is a sturdy cardboard box that opens like a book, with a magnetic flap on the side to keep it closed.
55 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2011
This is such a simple little gift that it can be underestimated. I bought it as a stocking stuffer and, to be honest, it's the only game my son has used all year long in a variety of situations. It's so small, it's great for travel. My son is 12 and he even brought it with us to a restaurant last week when we were meeting some friends from out of town. He knew the adults would want to talk for a while, so he and their two sons sat at an adjacent table and had a blast playing this game. I'd much rather see kids connecting on that level instead of mindlessly looking at TV screens that are so often on walls of restaurants these days. My 5 year old niece LOVES this game and the beauty of it is that a broad range of ages can play this game since no reading is required. Basically, you toss the dice and create your own story based on the pictures that land face up after your toss. I'm not a game person, so most games are lost on me. What I love about this game is there are no complicated rules. They have an outline of recommended use of the dice, but my son has created his own game with them. The price is well worth it and the game is well made and will last for years.
on November 24, 2015
There are a lot of positive reviews for this game so i don't think anyone will find this review but it turned out to be such a good buy that i had to say something. We just got the story cubes a few days ago and my 3 yo has had so much fun playing it. We've played a few types of games: roll three dice and tell a story; roll all the dice and reroll what you don't want, then tell a story, etc. I was pretty surprised by how well she recognized some of the dice images like the bridge and the scales. We've played a bunch of games and i know she will want to play more. Trying to save it for when we eat out at restaurants or plane trips, but she keeps asking for it. Will have to pick up some other sets/expansions for more story-telling variety.

Well done Rory, well done indeed.
RORY'S STORY CUBES consists of a double handful of dice, dice without letters or numbers -- just symbols (walking cane and stars, masks of tragedy and comedy, thought balloon, and so on). The player throws the dice and has to concoct a story out of what lands. (To make play a little more challenging, you can specify that the story begin with one particular die.) This is a wonderful way for kids and adults alike to draw on their imaginations; no scores to tabulate, no markers to move. Play is, by definition, low on competitiveness and can in fact be very congenial (my group let me define the stick-and-stars as a "Roman Candle" and that's how my Fourth-of-July story began).

What a wonderful product: low on tech, high on inspiration and fun. In a particularly nice gesture, the playing-card-sized box locks with the help of a magnetic side flap, so you won't need any other box or bag to hold this treat. Very, very highly recommended. Why can't there be more neat games like this?
on September 29, 2016
Fun time killer for long car drives. We have added this to our bundle of road trip games. The dice all have various pictures on them. each person takes turns coming up with a story using the face up sides of the dice that are rolled. We have heard some pretty rediculous and creative stories. Fun game to add to the road trip mix.
on December 28, 2015
Game idea is great but the quality of the product is terrible. It's total bait and switch, you do not get real dice as pictured, at least not the version we received. They are cheap plastic cubes without any engravings, you are given stickers to put on the cubes. The stickers are even cheap quality, when you peel them off, they tear!
on May 9, 2012
I seriously can not say enough good things about Rory's Story Cubes! Perfect for all children, even fun for adults!

Simple and affordable way to add some fun language and creative story telling to your home!

It's simply dice with pictures on it. You can adjust the rules of play to work with toddlers to adults. My sons love this game!
review image review image
on April 16, 2017
This is a great little game! The box says ages 8 and up, but my son is four and will continually make up stories to go with the pictures. I gave him an example the first time we played and he took it from there. I love hearing about what he thinks some of the pictures mean. Great for imagination and "non-screen time" play!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.