Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on June 13, 2010
I can't believe no one has reviewed these yet. Rory's Story Cubes are a fantastic toy/educational activity. Roll the dice, and create a story on your own, inspired by the images. Or create a cooperative story, with everyone adding to it. Add competitive elements, time limits, or points for using the most dice in your story. There are no limits to using these dice. The more you use them, play with them, and learn from them, the more ideas you will have for their use. The dice are also very well crafted and are a good size. You can also go to storycubes dot com to read other ideas for how to use the cubes, and to read some stories others have come up with. Kids of all ages can play! Parents, too!
33 comments| 679 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 14, 2014
I bought these for my 6-year old. He had played with these at school, and was really excited that I bought them. They're great for encouraging funny story telling skills and teaching plot sequence and character creation. They're also fun for adults as well. The great thing is there are literally tens of thousands of die roll combinations, so every story will be unique. There are expansion packs you can buy inexpensively, but this starter pack is a great start. Each die has 6 images, so you can use them to interpret however you choose, whether it's a theme, a character or object in the story, or an action related to the image, or part of the plot. Great quick travel fun.
on December 26, 2010
This gift was a hit with 11, 14 and 15 year old boys. They got into it. Don't know how long it could be played and still be entertaining but it the boys didn't want to quit the night they got it. It would be a good car game for long drives and an occasional game on nights you want to pull them away from video games.
0Comment| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 7, 2015
My boyfriend and I decided to pick up RSC:Voyages at Target a couple of months ago to try it out. We both loved it, so I decided to order the other sets. I have no regrets.
Pros:
-Easy to play. No real instructions, no set-up. Figure out which suggested way you like best or come up with your own method.
-Portable. I've put all the sets into one of my dice bags & carry it in my purse. We can pull it out most anywhere & play.
-Versatile. We've had raunchy stories with adults, silly stories with kids, dark ones, drunk ones. There are so many possible combinations & when you're playing with other people, the stories are always going to be something new. Many of us in my group of friends are avid DnD players, so we love telling & really shaping the storyline & playing off each other.
-Solo play. I've used this for writing, to telling my kid bedtime stories, to just entertaining myself.
-Great with Kids. I've played this with kids ages 5-9. They really enjoyed getting to contribute to a story in their own way, whether it be super serious or super silly. I've also played a bit with my 3 year old, who has a way of inserting himself into the game. We let him pick whatever cube & side he wants, say what he wants about it, and then he goes on his merry way. We keep his input most of the time & call him our "wild card". :)

Cons:
-I honestly can't think of any except I suppose the cubes aren't that hard to lose. Luckily, there are enough that it won't really take away from your game-play. It's just basic "keep your things together" logic that will prevent this. Like I said before, I keep all of mine in a dicebag. It's a small, 4x6" drawstring pouch. Problem solved.

I love this set of games & recommend it to anyone looking for a game that encourages creative thinking.
on September 3, 2017
This is a cute game that provided lots of laughs on a recent international flight. Very easy to play with my 12 year old. I gave it four starts rather than 5, because it does get old kind of quickly. We would play for maybe 15 minutes then put it away again for later. It was fun, but in small doses.
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2011
I know this says "8 and up" and I'm not going to say you should use this with younger children because the dice are a choking hazard. However, my 4 and 5 year old love this game. They don't always tell the most interesting stories, but it is definitely good creative practice and they have such a good time. They love to sit and watch (listen to) Mommy and Daddy play. They think it is so funny. I really have noticed a difference in their creativity since using these cubes. They tend to draw more elaborate things, tell more elaborate and detailed stories, and understand more books that are read to them. These really are amazing. I can see these being a favorite in my house for years to come. As they grow, the stories grow.
on April 9, 2016
I'm a school-based speech language pathologist and these have been a big hit with my students. It's been fun to see some of my students who struggle with flexible thinking use their creativity to include each dice in a story. It has also been a good tool for discussing how to include adequate details and sequencing in oral narratives. I'm so glad I have these in my therapy arsenal.
on June 7, 2017
Such a fun toy! Adults as well as children love to use their imaginations, and there are so many combinations possible, with an infinite number of stories to attach to the images!! We are going to get several more!
on March 8, 2014
Imagine you're at a cabin in the woods in a remote location, trying to build a group of adults into a high-functioning team of corporate trainers. Some know one another, but most don't. Also imagine that one of the requirements of the job for membership on this team is the ability to think quickly and creatively, to take whatever a client will throw at you and return not only the RIGHT answer, but one that continues to engage them in the ins-and-outs of the complex software product that brought you to their site. So there you are, gathered with this group of seven other adults around the pool table in the bottom floor of this 3-story cabin in the woods...and you, their manager, the person responsible for turning seven individuals into a high-functioning team, pull out Rory's Story Cubes. Dice are tossed, a story is crafted, laughs are shared, and slowly, surely...over the span of three days and a twice-daily gathering at the pool table...a team is born!

Am I being overly dramatic? Yeah, probably...but these disparate dice work just as I've described. Not every image on the individual die is easy to discern, so the ability to quickly and effortlessly create a plausible narrative on the spot with very nebulous guidance is developed in the adult. "Is that a building or a bookshelf?" "Is the sheep alive or dead" (especially if its feet are pointing away from the roller) are situations that present themselves on a regular basis. We played by having the adult roll the die after the other person had said their alloted three sentences, but really, it's up to you to decide what the rules are and what kind of skills you're trying to develop in your team.

They're just dice, but their ability to develop the critical thinking skills of adults makes them so much more than just toys. Get a set of Story Cubes and use them at your next corporate retreat and see what kind of team-building & critical thinking skills they bring out in your staff!
on December 13, 2011
I bought these for my 4 year old step-son who loves to hear and tell stories. I did not even read the reviews because the product description sufficed. The cubes came (shipped free through Prime) two days after I ordered them. I showed them to my son and he asked what they were. I told him they were story cubes and that you look at the pictures and tell a story. He asked what the story was about and I told him "anything you want." That was it and he started telling!! He is hilarious anyway, but I laughed so hard at the first story he told that I cried. He looked at the hand and decided that it was The Hand of God and the book pic was God's Word and so on an so forth. I never prompted him, even when he named what I thought was a Pyramid a "Spiderweb" and what I thought was fire "a dragon." I recommend not trying to correct the storyteller since the objects are part of their own story, not yours. He TOTALLY got it!! He has played with them several times a day in the past 3 weeks since they arrived. He is in no way bored with them.

I took them to school where I work as a Day Treatment counselor and used them for group and individual sessions. Now, I will note that some kids are better "natural" storytellers than others, and it comes much easier to them. But they all liked them a lot. In one session, a boy had just gotten into a fight with another student and I asked him to tell me about the incident. He rolled the cubes and ended up telling the story of what he would like to do to the kid who "wronged" him. I allowed him to continue and only redirected him when he used the "cane" cube in the story for a lude and potentially illegal act, eh hem....He thought it was great that he got to vent and there were no repercussions...Then I asked him to tell the story in a way in which everyone could walk away feeling good...and alive...:) He did so and it really showed me that he understood the concept of conflict resolution and using skills he learned in counseling to cope with peer relations. I was very impressed as was he and it gave me more insight into his capabilities than any previous session we had had together.

One child, who's father is incarcerated even decided to record her stories on her Ipod as she told them, so she could share them with him on her next visit. She was very excited! I admit, I teared up on that one...

Needless to say, I took them back home and was mauled at the door by my son who had turned the house upside down after school in his search for the cubes. I ordered the new "action cubes" and they arrived sooner than they were supposed to. I am currently hiding them in the trunk of my car for a stocking stuffer. He probably won't want to play with the new Leapster Tablet I got him after he opens them. But that is a risk I am willing to take.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.