YED Save up to 90% on textbooks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal Shop now Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Beat the Cold with Outdoor Clothing on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 1,115 reviews(Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
This is one of those games where you say to yourself, "why in the world didn't I think of that?" It is so utterly simple: nine dice with different pictures on each face, create your own story, create your own rules. It is big on creativity yet is small enough to take anywhere. I play this with my nearly five year old, and what is great is that the dice provide just enough structure for kids to roll with (pun intended) without scripting the outcome. I am reminded of Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" when the couple sits down for dinner and is given conversation starters. But Rory's Cubes actually provide a challenge. Kids have to decide what the pictures are going to mean and then link them coherently. And they enjoy seeing what adults do with their rolls. It is a wonderful opportunity to model different narrative techniques. We use these most often when we go out to dinner (hats off to Monty Python) and the kids are impatiently waiting for their food; it is great to be able to take along a tiny game rather than a backpack full of books.

I was tipped off to Rory's Story Cubes from Jenny Williams' June 2010 review on Wired's GeekDad blog (likely the same Jenny Williams who first reviewed this for Amazon). Not long after the blog post, every on-line and brick and mortar outlet that I could find sold out of the game. If you want another very thorough review of the game, it is worth searching for her review.
11 comment| 368 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
Sheep
Tree
Sad Face

Once there was a tree and a sad boy who got eaten by a sheep.
That was a 4.5 year old boy's first story after rolling 3 dice... his stories have gotten a little more elaborate since then (5 days ago) but not any less amusing.
Good for the imagination and for building verbal skills.. and for a laugh, especially when you've got a group of people (all ages) willing to participate.
Dice are as pictured.. rounded corners and measuring about .75" on all sides. The box is a sturdy cardboard box that opens like a book, with a magnetic flap on the side to keep it closed.
55 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2010
This gift was a hit with 11, 14 and 15 year old boys. They got into it. Don't know how long it could be played and still be entertaining but it the boys didn't want to quit the night they got it. It would be a good car game for long drives and an occasional game on nights you want to pull them away from video games.
on September 11, 2011
My six year old grandson is very creative. He loves to read books, and he loves illustrating and writing stories, too. We were attracted to the Story Cubes because we needed a fun toy that we could stick in our carry-on bags. We read the directions and practiced with them a bit. Then used the story cubes with my grandson for about an hour to create three or four stories. After that, we were more or less done using the cubes. They work very much as advertised. The symbols on the cubes give players a little flexibility to adjust the story line. For example, a picture of a bee could suggest an icky bug or delicious honey or even hard work. The stories end up being a bit stilted, much like what you might find in a game of Madlibs. You could duplicate a similar experience with cards or spinners or in a number of other ways. I'm afraid I let my expectations rise too high for this product. It's a good product and does what it purports to do.
22 comments| 207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2011
I bought these because I thought they would be great to carry in my purse. I was right. These are a lot of fun for the whole family. We told stories in the round using these a the dinner table last night. I am always looking for small games to carry in my purse for waiting at restaurants or appts. This was a great find. Just 9 dice to carry no pencil or paper needed. They are a quality product in a nice small box. I liked the variety of pictures. I suggest you purchase a set to carry with you.
on January 20, 2011
I had seen these cubes in the last issue of Instructor magazine and I knew that my 5th graders would love to use these during creative writing time. It was shipped out quickly and I was very pleased with the overall service. The students did love these cubes and I had them in five different groups and each student in the group got to roll one of the dice. From there they were to write three sentences then give the paper to another student in their group and they would do this until each student had a turn. The stories that they submitted to me I must admit were quite humorous. I plan to order a few more soon that way this could be a center as well. We've done this activity four times already and I've never had the same story twice. I love how creative the students can get and allow their imagination to run wild!
on November 14, 2011
This is such a simple little gift that it can be underestimated. I bought it as a stocking stuffer and, to be honest, it's the only game my son has used all year long in a variety of situations. It's so small, it's great for travel. My son is 12 and he even brought it with us to a restaurant last week when we were meeting some friends from out of town. He knew the adults would want to talk for a while, so he and their two sons sat at an adjacent table and had a blast playing this game. I'd much rather see kids connecting on that level instead of mindlessly looking at TV screens that are so often on walls of restaurants these days. My 5 year old niece LOVES this game and the beauty of it is that a broad range of ages can play this game since no reading is required. Basically, you toss the dice and create your own story based on the pictures that land face up after your toss. I'm not a game person, so most games are lost on me. What I love about this game is there are no complicated rules. They have an outline of recommended use of the dice, but my son has created his own game with them. The price is well worth it and the game is well made and will last for years.
on December 6, 2011
I was following a writer on Twitter and she spoke often and highly of these "cubes". After reading about the story cubes so much, I became quite intrigued with them, so I decided to do some research on the company's website, as well as Amazon.com and found the item. Which, I had to admit, are reasonably priced (less than $7 as of the time of this review). The game's website also listed an iPhone app was also available in the iTunes App store. Since I had an iPad, I decided to purchase the game.

Now, I did this for two reasons:

1. It would give me a chance to preview the "game" to see if it was something I wanted.

If I didn't want it, although I would be out $4.99, I could always delete it and "no harm, no foul". I wouldn't have a physical item to find a place for. Although it is relatively small (stocking stuffer material), I did not know that at the time.

2. The digital version would give me the chance to use the app while on a road trip without worrying about the pieces getting lost.

I was pleasantly surprised by the app. I could either shake my iPad or the button for the dice to "roll". There are 54 different images to spark the imagination by trying to link all nine of the images that show.

As a result, I decided the physical item would be better for my purposes.

There are countless ways to use this game. Unlike the digital version; if I like certain dice images, but not the others, I can always "hold" the ones I like and re-roll. This is similar to the game of Yahtzee where you try to roll for the highest possible hand.

With regard to the size, the game slips easily into a small purse for travel. The length is slightly smaller than my HTC Evo phone, and comparable in width (less than a 1/2 inch difference). In height it would be as thick as two HTC Evo phones. If you have room for an HTC Evo, you have room for the game. The dice are held in by a flimsy plastic barrier, but the case is a strong "hard-bound book" quality board, with a magnetic closure.

The dice are a durable hard plastic. The images are not painted on the dice, they are etched into the sides. At less than $10, this is a durable product and a wise investment for those looking to write or to build creativity in children, whether for play or even for research. It is not only fun, but educational as well.

Given the nature of some of the images I would say the best age is the recommended 8+. Although, I personally would recommend no younger than 12.
review image
on December 21, 2012
I was looking for a game I could play with my daughter to help her creative side. Rory's Story Cubes seemed to be a great idea. However, it's not as easy for a young child (or even an adult) to come up with a story that uses all nine cubes. The cubes were of good quality, no decals as in other reviews. I was expecting a larger box with more instructions and ideas to help create the stories. The positive side, the cubes can be easily taken along on camping or road trips.

My review is based upon my initial impression. I think this is one game that will get better with time.
review image
on January 11, 2013
I purchased this for my 7 year old daughter over a year ago. We got it out and tried to play it two times. I thought we were a rather imaginative family but this game has me thinking otherwise! I had high hopes based on the excellent reviews, however it just wasn't fun for any of us.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.