Industrial Deals HPC Design the future with O'Reilly Media Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by All is Bright Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 13, 2010
I can't believe no one has reviewed these yet. Rory's Story Cubes are a fantastic toy/educational activity. Roll the dice, and create a story on your own, inspired by the images. Or create a cooperative story, with everyone adding to it. Add competitive elements, time limits, or points for using the most dice in your story. There are no limits to using these dice. The more you use them, play with them, and learn from them, the more ideas you will have for their use. The dice are also very well crafted and are a good size. You can also go to storycubes dot com to read other ideas for how to use the cubes, and to read some stories others have come up with. Kids of all ages can play! Parents, too!
33 comments| 678 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 10, 2017
I have had similar ones in the past for my 10 year old daughter when she was younger. She really loved them and would play with them by herself or ask for us to play with her. I was looking for a present for a friend's 6 year old daughter. I saw these. I know she homeschools her children. They are all readers. So I thought this might be something her daughter would like and could be creative with. I wasn't wrong. These are a great quality and original.
on May 18, 2017
I bought two sets of these for my 5th grade classroom and am considering ordering another set. Sometimes I use these with the whole group and other times I will give a set to a small group and have them come up with their own story. There are enough cubes in the set to easily divide into 3 sets. These have been well used and look just as good as when I purchased them! Great creative writing starter or oral story work.
on July 14, 2014
I bought these for my 6-year old. He had played with these at school, and was really excited that I bought them. They're great for encouraging funny story telling skills and teaching plot sequence and character creation. They're also fun for adults as well. The great thing is there are literally tens of thousands of die roll combinations, so every story will be unique. There are expansion packs you can buy inexpensively, but this starter pack is a great start. Each die has 6 images, so you can use them to interpret however you choose, whether it's a theme, a character or object in the story, or an action related to the image, or part of the plot. Great quick travel fun.
on December 26, 2010
This gift was a hit with 11, 14 and 15 year old boys. They got into it. Don't know how long it could be played and still be entertaining but it the boys didn't want to quit the night they got it. It would be a good car game for long drives and an occasional game on nights you want to pull them away from video games.
0Comment| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 7, 2015
My boyfriend and I decided to pick up RSC:Voyages at Target a couple of months ago to try it out. We both loved it, so I decided to order the other sets. I have no regrets.
Pros:
-Easy to play. No real instructions, no set-up. Figure out which suggested way you like best or come up with your own method.
-Portable. I've put all the sets into one of my dice bags & carry it in my purse. We can pull it out most anywhere & play.
-Versatile. We've had raunchy stories with adults, silly stories with kids, dark ones, drunk ones. There are so many possible combinations & when you're playing with other people, the stories are always going to be something new. Many of us in my group of friends are avid DnD players, so we love telling & really shaping the storyline & playing off each other.
-Solo play. I've used this for writing, to telling my kid bedtime stories, to just entertaining myself.
-Great with Kids. I've played this with kids ages 5-9. They really enjoyed getting to contribute to a story in their own way, whether it be super serious or super silly. I've also played a bit with my 3 year old, who has a way of inserting himself into the game. We let him pick whatever cube & side he wants, say what he wants about it, and then he goes on his merry way. We keep his input most of the time & call him our "wild card". :)

Cons:
-I honestly can't think of any except I suppose the cubes aren't that hard to lose. Luckily, there are enough that it won't really take away from your game-play. It's just basic "keep your things together" logic that will prevent this. Like I said before, I keep all of mine in a dicebag. It's a small, 4x6" drawstring pouch. Problem solved.

I love this set of games & recommend it to anyone looking for a game that encourages creative thinking.
on September 3, 2017
This is a cute game that provided lots of laughs on a recent international flight. Very easy to play with my 12 year old. I gave it four starts rather than 5, because it does get old kind of quickly. We would play for maybe 15 minutes then put it away again for later. It was fun, but in small doses.
on October 30, 2017
I got these for my four year old and I am a little disappointed in the size for him. A lot smaller than they appeared in the photo and I should have read the description. The size would be best for someone over 8, but most 8 year olds don't need some cubes to push their imagination.
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2011
I know this says "8 and up" and I'm not going to say you should use this with younger children because the dice are a choking hazard. However, my 4 and 5 year old love this game. They don't always tell the most interesting stories, but it is definitely good creative practice and they have such a good time. They love to sit and watch (listen to) Mommy and Daddy play. They think it is so funny. I really have noticed a difference in their creativity since using these cubes. They tend to draw more elaborate things, tell more elaborate and detailed stories, and understand more books that are read to them. These really are amazing. I can see these being a favorite in my house for years to come. As they grow, the stories grow.
on April 9, 2016
I'm a school-based speech language pathologist and these have been a big hit with my students. It's been fun to see some of my students who struggle with flexible thinking use their creativity to include each dice in a story. It has also been a good tool for discussing how to include adequate details and sequencing in oral narratives. I'm so glad I have these in my therapy arsenal.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.