Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 13, 2010
I can't believe no one has reviewed these yet. Rory's Story Cubes are a fantastic toy/educational activity. Roll the dice, and create a story on your own, inspired by the images. Or create a cooperative story, with everyone adding to it. Add competitive elements, time limits, or points for using the most dice in your story. There are no limits to using these dice. The more you use them, play with them, and learn from them, the more ideas you will have for their use. The dice are also very well crafted and are a good size. You can also go to storycubes dot com to read other ideas for how to use the cubes, and to read some stories others have come up with. Kids of all ages can play! Parents, too!
33 comments| 679 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon July 9, 2010
This is one of those games where you say to yourself, "why in the world didn't I think of that?" It is so utterly simple: nine dice with different pictures on each face, create your own story, create your own rules. It is big on creativity yet is small enough to take anywhere. I play this with my nearly five year old, and what is great is that the dice provide just enough structure for kids to roll with (pun intended) without scripting the outcome. I am reminded of Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" when the couple sits down for dinner and is given conversation starters. But Rory's Cubes actually provide a challenge. Kids have to decide what the pictures are going to mean and then link them coherently. And they enjoy seeing what adults do with their rolls. It is a wonderful opportunity to model different narrative techniques. We use these most often when we go out to dinner (hats off to Monty Python) and the kids are impatiently waiting for their food; it is great to be able to take along a tiny game rather than a backpack full of books.

I was tipped off to Rory's Story Cubes from Jenny Williams' June 2010 review on Wired's GeekDad blog (likely the same Jenny Williams who first reviewed this for Amazon). Not long after the blog post, every on-line and brick and mortar outlet that I could find sold out of the game. If you want another very thorough review of the game, it is worth searching for her review.
11 comment| 373 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 24, 2015
There are a lot of positive reviews for this game so i don't think anyone will find this review but it turned out to be such a good buy that i had to say something. We just got the story cubes a few days ago and my 3 yo has had so much fun playing it. We've played a few types of games: roll three dice and tell a story; roll all the dice and reroll what you don't want, then tell a story, etc. I was pretty surprised by how well she recognized some of the dice images like the bridge and the scales. We've played a bunch of games and i know she will want to play more. Trying to save it for when we eat out at restaurants or plane trips, but she keeps asking for it. Will have to pick up some other sets/expansions for more story-telling variety.

Well done Rory, well done indeed.
on December 10, 2017
I have had similar ones in the past for my 10 year old daughter when she was younger. She really loved them and would play with them by herself or ask for us to play with her. I was looking for a present for a friend's 6 year old daughter. I saw these. I know she homeschools her children. They are all readers. So I thought this might be something her daughter would like and could be creative with. I wasn't wrong. These are a great quality and original.
on May 18, 2017
I bought two sets of these for my 5th grade classroom and am considering ordering another set. Sometimes I use these with the whole group and other times I will give a set to a small group and have them come up with their own story. There are enough cubes in the set to easily divide into 3 sets. These have been well used and look just as good as when I purchased them! Great creative writing starter or oral story work.
on December 13, 2011
I bought these for my 4 year old step-son who loves to hear and tell stories. I did not even read the reviews because the product description sufficed. The cubes came (shipped free through Prime) two days after I ordered them. I showed them to my son and he asked what they were. I told him they were story cubes and that you look at the pictures and tell a story. He asked what the story was about and I told him "anything you want." That was it and he started telling!! He is hilarious anyway, but I laughed so hard at the first story he told that I cried. He looked at the hand and decided that it was The Hand of God and the book pic was God's Word and so on an so forth. I never prompted him, even when he named what I thought was a Pyramid a "Spiderweb" and what I thought was fire "a dragon." I recommend not trying to correct the storyteller since the objects are part of their own story, not yours. He TOTALLY got it!! He has played with them several times a day in the past 3 weeks since they arrived. He is in no way bored with them.

I took them to school where I work as a Day Treatment counselor and used them for group and individual sessions. Now, I will note that some kids are better "natural" storytellers than others, and it comes much easier to them. But they all liked them a lot. In one session, a boy had just gotten into a fight with another student and I asked him to tell me about the incident. He rolled the cubes and ended up telling the story of what he would like to do to the kid who "wronged" him. I allowed him to continue and only redirected him when he used the "cane" cube in the story for a lude and potentially illegal act, eh hem....He thought it was great that he got to vent and there were no repercussions...Then I asked him to tell the story in a way in which everyone could walk away feeling good...and alive...:) He did so and it really showed me that he understood the concept of conflict resolution and using skills he learned in counseling to cope with peer relations. I was very impressed as was he and it gave me more insight into his capabilities than any previous session we had had together.

One child, who's father is incarcerated even decided to record her stories on her Ipod as she told them, so she could share them with him on her next visit. She was very excited! I admit, I teared up on that one...

Needless to say, I took them back home and was mauled at the door by my son who had turned the house upside down after school in his search for the cubes. I ordered the new "action cubes" and they arrived sooner than they were supposed to. I am currently hiding them in the trunk of my car for a stocking stuffer. He probably won't want to play with the new Leapster Tablet I got him after he opens them. But that is a risk I am willing to take.
VINE VOICEon December 27, 2011
I bought this game because of the high reviews, low price, and simple concept. I cam imagine how this would be a fun family and/or party game, but I bought it to throw it in my desk drawer at school (I am a middle/high school teacher). As a teacher, when you have some spare time on a Friday or right before a vacation, the students' minds are not in the place to start something new. Of course you can always assign busy work or give the kids something like a coloring page to keep them out of your hair, but this game actually makes students think, and it's fun in the process. Even better, it can be used in any class. I teach science, and without the students even realizing it, I had them working on creative writing skills- something that you tend to associate with English class.

The way I used the cubes: I have a document camera which projects whatever is underneath it onto the SmartBoard. In my room, the desks are positioned in groups of 4; I rolled the cubes under the doc cam so the students could seem all of them, and then I told each group to write a story using all 9 cubes. The members of the team that wrote the best story (as voted on by the class) received prizes. I've only used it with my sophomores so far, and they REALLY got into it. I know my 7th graders will love it as well, and I bet my juniors/seniors would too! The game really got my students' brains going, and they loved the chance to make up funny stories and situations.

If you are a substitute teacher, this would be a fun thing to carry with you (it's so small too- convenient!) in case the teacher assigns something that doesn't take the kids the whole time.

There are so many different things that you can do with these cubes; I'm sure people have come up with some pretty creative ways to play rather than just rolling all 9 at once and writing a story about them. If you are a teacher and you want to use these in your classroom too, you could even have the kids come up with ways to use them/write their own rules for their version of the game.

Highly recommended!
on August 25, 2015
Once i'd read all the bedtime stories, and looked with dismay at the possibility of reading Alexander's Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day for the 12th time (a great book, the first 10 times...), I broke these puppies out. A roll of the dice, a bit of ordering and a poll for theming, and off I went. My daughters (aged 7 and 11) were rapt with attention, looking down at the dice as the story I was telling revealed the secret behind each symbol. I usually spend 5 - 10 minutes reading, but spent 30 telling that story, and the time flew. My daughters loved it, and they still talk about that story, even though we've had several sessions since.

This is a magical item. It makes you a hero to your kids as you weave a tale crafted just for them. It helps them tell their own stories, adding just that little bit of inspiration to help them along.
on May 7, 2015
My boyfriend and I decided to pick up RSC:Voyages at Target a couple of months ago to try it out. We both loved it, so I decided to order the other sets. I have no regrets.
Pros:
-Easy to play. No real instructions, no set-up. Figure out which suggested way you like best or come up with your own method.
-Portable. I've put all the sets into one of my dice bags & carry it in my purse. We can pull it out most anywhere & play.
-Versatile. We've had raunchy stories with adults, silly stories with kids, dark ones, drunk ones. There are so many possible combinations & when you're playing with other people, the stories are always going to be something new. Many of us in my group of friends are avid DnD players, so we love telling & really shaping the storyline & playing off each other.
-Solo play. I've used this for writing, to telling my kid bedtime stories, to just entertaining myself.
-Great with Kids. I've played this with kids ages 5-9. They really enjoyed getting to contribute to a story in their own way, whether it be super serious or super silly. I've also played a bit with my 3 year old, who has a way of inserting himself into the game. We let him pick whatever cube & side he wants, say what he wants about it, and then he goes on his merry way. We keep his input most of the time & call him our "wild card". :)

Cons:
-I honestly can't think of any except I suppose the cubes aren't that hard to lose. Luckily, there are enough that it won't really take away from your game-play. It's just basic "keep your things together" logic that will prevent this. Like I said before, I keep all of mine in a dicebag. It's a small, 4x6" drawstring pouch. Problem solved.

I love this set of games & recommend it to anyone looking for a game that encourages creative thinking.
I have only known one person named Rory, and he was sort of a tool and in a terrible boogie blues band. I am 100% certain that he did not make these cubes, and probably does not own a set either. When I was really young I had to go to speech therapy for a long time and it developed a sort of strange, probably pathological love for off-beat teaching aids. I am also certain that if these existed 20 years ago my speech pathologist would have had some and made me narrate ridiculous situations involving the little pictures on them. She did have a deck of cards with little pictograms that were essentially the exact same thing except in card form. I guess it's not a new idea. That being said, rolling dice is a really satisfying experience no matter what the reason is.

It is a sort of goofy way to inspire creativity. The pictures are simple and intentionally vague, and you can interpret them in multiple different ways much like the symbols on the Golden Compass from His Dark Materials. You can make a short story about a sheep on a flaming airplane, or interpret the sheep as someone who is dull and easily influenced and prone to making loud bleating noises, the airplane as any sort of long-distance travel, and the flame as inspiration, and all of a sudden from the same three images you suddenly have a story about going on a road trip with the most annoying person in the world (A future New York Times Bestseller). There are a lot of applications for these, and all of them end up being fun.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.