Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 177 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 190 reviews
VINE VOICEon March 23, 2015
I have been Big Sister, though Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America, to a 9-year-old girl for two years. Having retired from my career, I now call myself a "recovering perfectionist." Because of my life-long issues with perfectionism, I was able to easily identify them in my Little Sister at her young age. She is a great kid, and smart, but she feels everything has to come easily to her on the first try. If it doesn't, she can become very frustrated, pouty and want to stop trying whatever it is we are trying to learn or achieve.

Because I am a writer and love being creative, creativity, writing and story-telling are skills that I want to foster in my Sis. As a result, after finding Rory's Story Cubes on Amazon, I decided to buy the set called "Voyages." I found the price very reasonable, especially for something so well made! These are nice, SOLID dice that roll well in the hand. Substantial...and made to last. I can't tell yet if the printing of the various pictures on the dice will stay around for long, but the construction appears to be top notch.

Usually, when Little Sis and I go out to eat, we play games on my tablet while we wait for our food. Last weekend, I decided to introduce the Story Cubes as an alternative. I explained to her what they were and their purpose, and we began discussing what each image on each side of the die represented (I highly recommend doing this step first, because while many of the pictures are obvious, some are not).

Soon, we were each taking turns rolling out the set of dice and making up stories around whatever the dice showed. At first, she wanted to manipulate the dice to give her the options she wanted, but I discouraged this. Before you know it, we were making up stories left and right and laughing out loud! Off to a good start, I'd say! I've already recommended these to a neighbor who often hosts her large family, including children around (and younger than) my Little Sister's age.

Rory's Story Cubes come in individual sets and also in multiple sets, depending on how many kids you may be dealing with. I could definitely see investing in another set at some point down the line if my Little Sis continues to enjoy and be inspired by story-telling time!

UPDATE 6/29/15: I had to edit my review to note that my Little Sister now ASKS to bring the story cubes along when we go out to a restaurant for lunch, so that we can use them while waiting for our food. This is a kid who is deeply tied to electronic devices, and who usually wants to play on my Kindle Fire while waiting for food...so this is a HUGE development that I am VERY happy about! :)
review image
on November 29, 2013
Uhhhh I don't understand the high ratings... it's a great game for ten year olds, but the most fun I had with these was strategizing how to make them more fun for adults. We settled on this procedure:

(instructions for a group of 4 players)
1. One person rolls the dice.
2. This person, and the person to their left, both close their eyes while the other two players arrange the dice in whatever order they like, in a linear way. (One after another after another.)
3. The team opens their eyes and has to come up with a story collaboratively, the roller of the dice beginning, each person tag-teaming to construct a story based on each die. Example, if the first three dice are a flower, a screwdriver, and a clock, "Once upon a time, there was a flower growing in a vast desert." (push the flower die forward to indicate you've integrated it into the story, and to signal it's the next person's turn.) then the next person constructs the next part, "It was a flower that was pretty handy with tools, and it was often hired by other flora and fauna to put together Ikea furniture." (then push the screwdriver die forward, and so on).
4. While step 3 takes place, the non-team players set a timer for 1 minute. When the timer goes off, the storytellers have to stop.
5. The number of dice that the storytellers successfully integrated compromises part of their score. The other part of their score is determined by the non-storytellers based on quality & cohesiveness, they each assign a number 1 - 10 to indicate their impression of the overall quality.
6. Record the score on paper, with each person's name separately.
7. Then the 2nd person from the storytelling team becomes the dice-roller, and the person to their left assumes the storytelling role in combination with them. Repeat the above steps.

A full "round" means that each person at the table has been part of the storytelling team 2 times, once as the roller, and once as the supportive person. Determine how many rounds you want to play beforehand, and then total up the individual scores of each player to determine the winner.
on June 21, 2016
We bought these to go with the other two Story Cubes sets that we own. This "Voyages" set is a nice addition to "Actions" and the "Original" of 9-dice sets. While we do not use them all that frequently, I like that they are contained in a box, which is small. I've been known to put one or two of these in my bag to take with me if I think I'll be waiting with my kids somewhere, where we would have an opportunity for some play. My kids did NOT enjoy these as 4,5,6 year olds...rather, they are enjoying them as 8 year olds through teens.

This set "Voyages" contains a variety of pictures - most of which are clearly around travel of one form or another. Some of the pictures are head-scratchers regarding travel: dried beans, puzzle piece, eyeglasses, pill, amoeba, mushroom, sheriff star. But then again, that is the idea - creativity! These dice are etched then painted with a dark green paint. Combining them with other sets isn't a problem, as the other sets are etched and painted with other colors, so easy to regroup the sets later.

We go over the pictures briefly so they can start getting ideas and so that they are not confused about a picture. The pictures can be a bit generic, which is good - a musical note? - well, that can depict music, an instrument playing, a boombox, whatever... When we play, we either quietly pick out a dice without looking and place it down, or we roll the dice (if we are somewhere the noise of dice rolling is OK). It doesn't take too long to play - unless you have a very imaginative storyteller in your group. Easy to pick up and go.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 13, 2016
These are great! The kids and I sat down the other day and put these to use. I have to say, if your imagination is lacking, this won't be any fun. They are basically exactly what the description says. Nine cubes with six sides each, all with different pictures. I was picturing something a bit larger when ordering but they were close to the same size of your typical dice. The images are printed clearly, its easy to tell what each picture is, no problems with images rubbing off. Very satisfied.
on April 27, 2016
These are so awesome I just bought the other two sets! My 7 year old and I sat and played for over an hour just making up wacky stories. Bonding time, education time (we homeschool) with creative writing, and lots of laughs! I highly recommend these to any parent as they have so much value for something so simple! My story had an octopus who got a bunch of eyeballs from a scared guy named Murray and my son laughed and is still talking about it today!
on November 8, 2015
One of the best games ever! This one stays in my purse to always have handy to lighten up the mood. Great for killing time waiting for food in a restaurant, stuck at the doctors office or just sitting in a park. At a party and it's getting stale?pull out these cubes, roll the dice and start making up silly stories based on the pictures on the cube. Really no rules to it but have fun!
on February 3, 2017
My kid doesn't really need these to make up a story (wish I was like that) but he does love them. I found he plays with them better when I don't tell him what the pictures are on the dice. He enjoys being able to guess at what some of the pictures are and to him some of them are different each time he looks at them. We really only roll the dice when he comes to a block in his stories and even then he doesn't use all the dice to keep the story going. But he absolutely loves them and I think they are the cutest dice I've ever seen. Can't wait to get more!
on June 5, 2017
Great tool for therapy & really shows some of those key points, anxieties, fears/worries, understanding of family dynamics, social skills and much more.
on July 20, 2017
I'm a big fan of all the story cube sets. Easy to travel with or bring to restaurants. It encourages creative thinking and working together.
on July 11, 2013
My daughter simply loves all of the Rory's Story Cubes. We started with just the regular pack, then the next year "Santa" brought her the action cubes. I saw the price drop on these Voyages cubes and jumped at the chance to grab this set too. They are so awesome and now my daughter can combine all three sets and have an endless supply of stories to make up! I don't know why I hadn't though of it earlier but someone else on a review for the other sets mentioned using them as homeschool writing prompts...well DUH! I homeschool and how did I not think of that? I had my daughter come up with a story using them and write and re-write it (but this is a good way to get them to hate the cubes when it turns into work). I would buy these over again. Great small toy, easy to take with you anywhere (although we never have, can't think that far in advance!) Money well spent.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question