Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Garfield: Holiday Celebrations (Garfield's Halloween Adventure / Garfield's Thanksgiving / A Garfield Christmas)
Frequently bought together
Adventures of Garfield the cat, Odie the dog, and Jon their hapless owner.
Genre: Feature Film-Comedy
Release Date: 26-OCT-2004
Media Type: DVD
No one loves the cold months better than acerbic fat cat Garfield, who thrives on a bounty of junk food and traditional meals in the delightful collection of musical-comedy TV specials Garfield Holiday Celebrations. "Garfield's Halloween Adventure" finds the portly hero and airhead-sidekick Odie the dog scrounging through owner Jon's attic to find perfect costumes, then encountering ghosts and ghoulies that seem a tad authentic. "Garfield's Thanksgiving" is a screwball special in which Jon harasses veterinarian Liz into being his Turkey Day guest. Trouble is, Jon is clueless about how to cook a big bird; fortunately, starving Garfield has the good sense to call in Jon's spirited grandmother for a culinary rescue. Grandma shows up, too, in "A Garfield Christmas," about a family get-together that covers all the nice holiday stuff and, of course, lots of bickering, pouting, and jealousy. As long as Garfield gets his Yuletide lasagna, however, all is right with the world. --Tom Keogh
- Aspect Ratio : 1.33:1
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer : No
- MPAA rating : s_medNotRated Unrated (Not Rated)
- Product Dimensions : 7.5 x 5.5 x 0.75 inches; 2.56 Ounces
- Director : Bob Nesler, George Singer, Gerard Baldwin, John Sparey, Phil Roman
- Media Format : Closed-captioned, Color, Dubbed, Full Screen, NTSC, Subtitled
- Run time : 1 hour and 11 minutes
- Release date : October 26, 2004
- Actors : Lorenzo Music, Thom Huge, Gregg Berger, Pat Carroll, Pat Harrington Jr.
- Dubbed: : English, Spanish
- Subtitles: : English, Spanish
- Producers : Jay Poynor, Phil Roman
- Language : Unqualified, English (Dolby Digital 1.0), Spanish (Dolby Digital 1.0)
- Studio : 20th Century Fox
- ASIN : B0002PYS74
- Writers : Jim Davis, Kim Campbell
- Number of discs : 1
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Garfield's Halloween Adventure (1985) - I saw one reviewer mention a missing scene where the ghost pirates find Garfield and Odie. I don't remember it. I'll have to dig out my old VHS from when it originally aired in 1985. I don't doubt it because I have a comic strip version that includes that scene. It's a shame they left it out.
Other than the exclusion of that scene, it's a great Halloween special. I'd rate it second to only The Great Pumpkin. Maybe the fact that it's actually kind of creepy is why TV chooses not to air it anymore.
Garfield Thanksgiving Special (1989) - While my least favorite of the three, it's an amousing special. It's worth having especially since TV doesn't even want to acknowledge Thanksgiving anymore.
Garfield Christmas Special (1987) - I can still remember the first time this aired like it was yesterday. Has it really been 20 years? John, Odie, and Garfield go for an old fashioned Christmas down on the farm.
Filled with Garfield's usual dry humor. I think his line "Whoever thought of the idea of Christmas trees should be drug out into the street and shot" may be why we don't see this one on television anymore. Aren't we all so sensitive.
It even has a very touching scene with John's grandmother telling Garfield about her late husband.
This DVD is an essential purchase. And a nice price too.
I was always a huge fan of Garfield anyway, the cartoon was on at 7:00am my entire school career. (1st through 12th grade, no joke)I watched it nearly every morning while I ate my CAPN CRUNCH. It was always well written, great for any age... the specials were no exception.
THANKSGIVING: Also has Grandma in it. She takes charge when Jon is too wimpy to fire up a conversation with that hot veteranarian he was always after. Its hillarious, of course.
HALLOWEEN: When Garfield and Odie get mixed up with Ghost pirates. Man, I haven't seen those two in YEARS!
The CHRISTMAS one was the best though. We get to meet Jons family down on the farm. If you are trying to get some goods to view with the FAM this holiday Season... GARFIELD is way up there on the "classics" list.
But don't throw those old VHS copies away just yet - at least not the Christmas special. Although the Halloween and Thanksgiving shows are fine on DVD, the color is very uneven on the Christmas special and in some scenes looks like pre-final sketch work that has not been fully colored in at all. This is obvious when you compare it to the old VHS edition. That's really a shame and, unfortunately, not that uncommon (see some of the reviews of the DVD edition of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," which suffers from even worse color distortion).
- "Garfield's Halloween Adventure" is about Garfield and Odie going trick-or-treating for Halloween when they stumble into an old house that is haunted by ghostly pirates. I first saw this special when it was on TV about ten years ago as I post this review; it's as funny and good as I remembered.
- "Garfield's Thanksgiving" is about Jon inviting Liz (Garfield's vet) over to his house on Thanksgiving; unfortunately for Garfield, he is also put on a diet before the big day. This was the only Garfield holiday special I never got to see when it was on TV. Luckily for me, I was finally able to see it once I bought the DVD; it's just as humorous as I hoped it'd be.
- "A Garfield Christmas Special" is about Garfield and Odie spending Christmas with Jon at his family's house. I watched this one quite a few times when I was a kid, and I still enjoy it each time it's on.
If you are a big fan of Garfield like I am, I suggest you get this DVD before the holiday season ends. Just like the Peanuts gang, Garfield is another great comic character that knows how to star in television specials like these.
The Thanksgiving episode is just awkward and uncomfortable. Jon essentially gets a date for Thanksgiving by weedling. I know he's supposed to be a sad lonely guy but it made me feel really uncomfortable for everyone involved.
Top reviews from other countries
I only bought this for the Christmas special, but the Hallowe'en episode is also amazing. Was going to purchase in Dec, but the price was $129.00, waited until Feb and saved myself $100. You would be wise to do the same, you know you can you-tube it for free until the price drops.