Top critical review
9 people found this helpful
OK - There are better config options than this case
on June 10, 2012
I bought this for a Garmin eTrex 30.
What I like:
1. Neoprene material seems durable as does the piping on the edges.
2. Built in clip on the back works great and is sturdy
What I don't like:
1. The shape of the cover gives access to the navigation button on the front of the eTrex. At first I thought it was a bit awkward because the cover is right next to the button, but actually worked fine out in the wild. It fits reasonably well, though could be a bit tighter.
2. The hole at the bottom of the case does not line up with the lanyard loop on bottom of the eTrex. Again, nothing major, just a fit and finish detail.
3. The clear plastic screen cover will fog up if any water gets in (which happens frequently in the Pac NW). I typically have to pull it out of the case to see the screen clearly. This is annoying.
4. Velcro - the most overrated outdoor fastener. Eventually, like all Velcro/Hook & Loop fasteners, this one too will fray to the point of needing replacement.
Overall it gets the job done. In retrospect, probably would have purchased the Garmin hard platsic clip that attaches on back of the eTrex and get a screen protector film to avoid scratching the screen. The Garmin clip looks like it would have made for a lower profile, and would have avoided the whole screen fogging dilemma.
For notes on how I use the case: I keep a lanyard on my eTrex and hook it to a shoulder strap loop on my Camelback Fourteener. I swapped the lanyard from an old camera. It is about 8 inches long, which is perfect length to unhook for a quick bearing during a hike. I really like this setup so have included a photo for reference in the product detail page. Happy hiking!