Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

On my second hike with this protecting and attaching my Garmin eTrex 30x to my pack, I heard a muffled thump and THANKFULLY stopped to investigate! I found my ~$200 GPS and this case lying in the leaves, next to the trail. The black, metal ring on the back of the case, above the belt clip had pulled the material and stitches holding it to the case completely out, detaching it from the carabiner I had attaching it to my pack. No pressure or stress, other than the light weight (~5 oz?) of the GPS and it failed with less than 10 miles of hiking. The fit and function of this case were fine, but with no way to truly secure it to the pack (I am NOT trusting a belt clip to hold and keep it on my pack!) it seems to be a dangerous proposition for the longevity/retention of your device.
on June 10, 2012
I bought this for a Garmin eTrex 30.

What I like:
1. Neoprene material seems durable as does the piping on the edges.
2. Built in clip on the back works great and is sturdy

What I don't like:

1. The shape of the cover gives access to the navigation button on the front of the eTrex. At first I thought it was a bit awkward because the cover is right next to the button, but actually worked fine out in the wild. It fits reasonably well, though could be a bit tighter.
2. The hole at the bottom of the case does not line up with the lanyard loop on bottom of the eTrex. Again, nothing major, just a fit and finish detail.
3. The clear plastic screen cover will fog up if any water gets in (which happens frequently in the Pac NW). I typically have to pull it out of the case to see the screen clearly. This is annoying.
4. Velcro - the most overrated outdoor fastener. Eventually, like all Velcro/Hook & Loop fasteners, this one too will fray to the point of needing replacement.

Overall it gets the job done. In retrospect, probably would have purchased the Garmin hard platsic clip that attaches on back of the eTrex and get a screen protector film to avoid scratching the screen. The Garmin clip looks like it would have made for a lower profile, and would have avoided the whole screen fogging dilemma.

For notes on how I use the case: I keep a lanyard on my eTrex and hook it to a shoulder strap loop on my Camelback Fourteener. I swapped the lanyard from an old camera. It is about 8 inches long, which is perfect length to unhook for a quick bearing during a hike. I really like this setup so have included a photo for reference in the product detail page. Happy hiking!
review image
on October 18, 2014
Disappointing, thought since it was made by Garmin, it would be the best case for the etrex20. The fit is good and access to buttons are great but the point of a case is to protect your gps and chances are even if you drop it on the back or bottom of the device (which are protected) when it bounces or rolls the upper front or side will take a hit and for some reason their unprotected. If they just extended the top out to cover both upper corners you could still reach the controls and have almost full protection. I like the reflective strip Garmin put on the top but it doesn't make up for the lack of protection.

I bought the armorsuit screen cover (which is good since the plastic screen sticks out) and will end up buying the other case here on amazon costing twice as much but it think it will do a better job.
on September 22, 2017
The case does not fit eTrex 20x very well. It definitely is not form fitting. There is about 1/2 to 3/4" gap for the unit to slide up and down while in the case. In addition, the hole on the bottom of the case to allow the lanyard through, it does not line up with the lanyard attachment area of the gps unit. I would not trust the case to securely hold my unit. I will look for an off brand alternative, which I shouldn't have to do.
on March 12, 2011
I noticed several negitive reviews for this case that focused on a problem with the case apparently being too deep for the Vista, resulting in it covering over several of the operating control buttons on the GPS itself making the device difficult to use while cased. I have to say that either this reported problem has been corrected, or the reviewers commented on the wrong case. The vista HCx eTrax that I bought fits just right in this case.

I very much like the 'D' Ring on the back of the case. This allows the GPS to be lashed to an equipment loop on your backpack or some other convenient place. I would give this case a 5-star rating but for the fact that I do not much trust the belt hook provided on the case. Though it has not happen to me, I fear that the GPS could slide unnoticed off a belt and be lost if a backup means of attachment were not used.

The overall construction of the case appears to be sound. The case should provide adequate protection for the eTrax unless it is severly abused and beaten up beyond what one might expect from normal use, which does not include throwing it and having the dog retrieve it, or dunking it in a river to see how many times you can do that before it fails. You get the idea.

Anyway -- great product. Worth the money.
on September 3, 2017
This case is simply too big for the Garmin eTrex portable GPS unit making the areas for the display and buttons less-than-perfect lineup. After having used this case for a while I would not recommend this for the portable Garmin eTrex GPS unit.
on April 17, 2005
I got this holder mainly because I wanted to be able to keep my GPSr handy wile hiking, but out or the way and still recieveing. Here is the deal, I geocache, and I do it quite often. When I used to go out on longer hikes I would loop the leash on my GPSr around the strap on my pack, and then tuck my GPSr under the strap on my sholder where I couldn't see it, but it could see the sky, all that got me was a sore sholder and a GPSr dangeling by my waste not recieveing. Now with the holster I leash the holster to my pack, and clip the holster to my pack strar at about mid chest. I can see what I need to through the window of the holster, and if I need more detail I just pull the reciever out so I can see the screen better. This set up keeps my reciever close at hand, out of the way and recieveing when I don't need to see it, and protected from scratches (if you are a cacher, you know your GPSr has lots of scratches). As for the window that everyone complains about, I see it this way, I would rather have to take out my GPSr to read it better than have to replace my GPS because the window on it has gouges in it. Look at this holster as insurance with the benifit of keeping the GPS out of the way and it is a great bargain. Untill someone offers tore up GPS insurance this is the way to go.
on March 23, 2016
I bought this for the Garmin eTrex 10. It is a nice looking case and I feel it would protect the device inside a backpack. The clip seems flimsy, but I never had a chance to try it. My eTrex 10 didn't even fit into the case properly. The case is way to large, I can put my thumb into the gap between the top of the device and still velcro it closed. I don't blame Garmin though, my official Garmin packaging says it fits the eTrex H, eTrex Legend, eTrex Vista, eTrex Venture, and eTrex Summit.
on July 21, 2016
You can put the eTrex in the case and take it out one-handed, leaving the case on your belt. Mine is fraying and almost failed, but I've been using it daily (yes, I wear a GPS receiver everywhere) for almost 4 years.

Be careful that you get the case with the clip on the back that you can put the eTrex into, rather than the one that has a clip that attaches to the eTrex, Garmin 010-11734-00 eTrex Carrying Case. (I tried to buy another one of these and ended up with the external clip version; I don't remember if I decided to try that because I couldn't order this one, or if I thought I was ordering this and got the other.)
on December 10, 2012
The belt hook does not have a good catch, it would be easy to loose the GPS without noticing it happened. A slight change to the design could fix this issue (add a bit of a hook to the belt clip to snag on a belt or fabric). Secondly, the velcro flap is awkward. It would be easier to use if it went from the back, over the top, and attached to the front. This goes from the front, over the top, and hooks to the velcro on the back. Third, the button access is somewhat restricted. If a little more cut out for the buttons was there it would help a lot. Probably returning it. I have ordered something else that I think will work better. I like the quality of the construction over all. Final thought, I would rather not have the plastic window. If I were keeping it I think I would cut it out. It's too glossy and restricts the view of the screen.