Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Garmin eTrex Carrying Case
Size: one size|Change

on January 31, 2014
I sent the first one back thinking, "This can't be right." Got the replacement quickly (gotta love Amazon!) only to find that the first one wasn't defective; it's a badly designed lousy fit. First, the hook-and-loop closure attaches on the inside of the case instead of wrapping over the top and attaching on the back, reducing it's strength considerably. Furthermore, it leaves an half inch gap between the top of my eTrex 20 and the strap. I noticed on the package that it's sold to fit five different Garmin units, which suggests that maybe the one-size-fits-all approach isn't working in this case.
review imagereview image
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
On my second hike with this protecting and attaching my Garmin eTrex 30x to my pack, I heard a muffled thump and THANKFULLY stopped to investigate! I found my ~$200 GPS and this case lying in the leaves, next to the trail. The black, metal ring on the back of the case, above the belt clip had pulled the material and stitches holding it to the case completely out, detaching it from the carabiner I had attaching it to my pack. No pressure or stress, other than the light weight (~5 oz?) of the GPS and it failed with less than 10 miles of hiking. The fit and function of this case were fine, but with no way to truly secure it to the pack (I am NOT trusting a belt clip to hold and keep it on my pack!) it seems to be a dangerous proposition for the longevity/retention of your device.
on June 10, 2012
I bought this for a Garmin eTrex 30.

What I like:
1. Neoprene material seems durable as does the piping on the edges.
2. Built in clip on the back works great and is sturdy

What I don't like:

1. The shape of the cover gives access to the navigation button on the front of the eTrex. At first I thought it was a bit awkward because the cover is right next to the button, but actually worked fine out in the wild. It fits reasonably well, though could be a bit tighter.
2. The hole at the bottom of the case does not line up with the lanyard loop on bottom of the eTrex. Again, nothing major, just a fit and finish detail.
3. The clear plastic screen cover will fog up if any water gets in (which happens frequently in the Pac NW). I typically have to pull it out of the case to see the screen clearly. This is annoying.
4. Velcro - the most overrated outdoor fastener. Eventually, like all Velcro/Hook & Loop fasteners, this one too will fray to the point of needing replacement.

Overall it gets the job done. In retrospect, probably would have purchased the Garmin hard platsic clip that attaches on back of the eTrex and get a screen protector film to avoid scratching the screen. The Garmin clip looks like it would have made for a lower profile, and would have avoided the whole screen fogging dilemma.

For notes on how I use the case: I keep a lanyard on my eTrex and hook it to a shoulder strap loop on my Camelback Fourteener. I swapped the lanyard from an old camera. It is about 8 inches long, which is perfect length to unhook for a quick bearing during a hike. I really like this setup so have included a photo for reference in the product detail page. Happy hiking!
review image
on March 16, 2017
This product is a complete fraud. It does not fit the Garmin eTrex at all. I have no idea what it was made to fit but it most certainly was not the Garmin eTrex. I am shocked that Garmin allowed this piece of junk to be sold under their name and to carry their name on the packaging. I have used Garmin products for years and this is the first time I have seen Garmin sell garbage!
on September 22, 2017
The case does not fit eTrex 20x very well. It definitely is not form fitting. There is about 1/2 to 3/4" gap for the unit to slide up and down while in the case. In addition, the hole on the bottom of the case to allow the lanyard through, it does not line up with the lanyard attachment area of the gps unit. I would not trust the case to securely hold my unit. I will look for an off brand alternative, which I shouldn't have to do.
on April 30, 2013
I bought the case with the eTrex 30 unit, and when I first tried to fit the GPS into the case it doesn't even fill the case completely. When the Velcro is fastened there is about an extra half inch of space between the top of the unit and the top of the case. This allows for a lot of movement. The buttons on the side are easily reached, but also feel very exposed since the case doesn't cover the top corners of the device. The joystick on the front is pretty difficult to use as the case sits rights against it and it as thick as the joystick is tall. The belt clip has little to value for anything more active than walking since it can just slide around or fall off in lifted in any way. The wrist strap whole in the bottom of the case is usable, but almost a half inch from the actual attachment point for the wrist strap. The screen covers the enough of the top of the screen to be frustrating, but leaves more than a quarter of an inch for the Garmin logo to be displayed properly. It does provide good protection for the areas covered by the case, but I would not recommend this product for the eTrex 30 device.
on October 18, 2014
Disappointing, thought since it was made by Garmin, it would be the best case for the etrex20. The fit is good and access to buttons are great but the point of a case is to protect your gps and chances are even if you drop it on the back or bottom of the device (which are protected) when it bounces or rolls the upper front or side will take a hit and for some reason their unprotected. If they just extended the top out to cover both upper corners you could still reach the controls and have almost full protection. I like the reflective strip Garmin put on the top but it doesn't make up for the lack of protection.

I bought the armorsuit screen cover (which is good since the plastic screen sticks out) and will end up buying the other case here on amazon costing twice as much but it think it will do a better job.
on September 29, 2010
I bought this as a replacement for an older model of this item. This one is improved in terms of the design. The sides and bottom are stitched more "squared off", so it feels less bulky to hold. The one one was sort of roundish when the unit was inside, which made it bulky. It's still bulky compared to nothing, but the construction is better on this model. They also improved the screen cover part. Before, the screen would be slightly obstructed by the cover, but this model has a bigger area for the screen.

However, some of the same problems persist. To me, a snug fit is nice, but it's actually somewhat difficult to slide the unit into this. And repeated times going in and out can loosen the protective rubber sides of the actual Garmin unit. This happened with my previous case, and I've actually had to reglue the rubber on the unit. Also, the case comes very close to the small multi-directional button on the face of the unit. It's harder to use this button with the case coming so close to it. The case should probably have a larger cut-out area which leaves the button slightly more free to move. Lastly, I had to replace my old one because the stitching in the leather cover on the belt clip came undone. I did get a lot of use out of it, and the product is inexpensive, so it's not THAT big a deal. But I'll have to keep an eye on this for a similar problem

Overall, having this is better than nothing, even if it's not the greatest carrying case.

EDIT: I just had to buy my 3rd one (August 2013) since owning the GPS unit (2010). The problem is the stitching comes undone too easily on the clip, with repeated clips and unclips to a strap on my backpack. The strap is woven nylon, so it's a typical material one would think this would clip to, but after a year or so of clipping and unclipping to my bag, the stitching breaks and it makes the thing darn near impossible to use. For the price, it's ok, but it's not great quality.
on September 3, 2017
This case is simply too big for the Garmin eTrex portable GPS unit making the areas for the display and buttons less-than-perfect lineup. After having used this case for a while I would not recommend this for the portable Garmin eTrex GPS unit.
on March 12, 2011
I noticed several negitive reviews for this case that focused on a problem with the case apparently being too deep for the Vista, resulting in it covering over several of the operating control buttons on the GPS itself making the device difficult to use while cased. I have to say that either this reported problem has been corrected, or the reviewers commented on the wrong case. The vista HCx eTrax that I bought fits just right in this case.

I very much like the 'D' Ring on the back of the case. This allows the GPS to be lashed to an equipment loop on your backpack or some other convenient place. I would give this case a 5-star rating but for the fact that I do not much trust the belt hook provided on the case. Though it has not happen to me, I fear that the GPS could slide unnoticed off a belt and be lost if a backup means of attachment were not used.

The overall construction of the case appears to be sound. The case should provide adequate protection for the eTrax unless it is severly abused and beaten up beyond what one might expect from normal use, which does not include throwing it and having the dog retrieve it, or dunking it in a river to see how many times you can do that before it fails. You get the idea.

Anyway -- great product. Worth the money.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.