Garmin nüvi 42LM 4.3-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps (US) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
This item at this price, sold by Amazon.com, is currently reserved exclusively for Prime members.Prime free trial and invitee customers: We will automatically apply an Amazon.com Gift Card to your Gift Card Balance in the amount equal to the Prime exclusive discount after you become a paid Prime member. If you cancel your paid Prime membership or return the qualifying smartphone within the first 3 months of your paid Prime membership, we may void your Gift Card or charge you in the amount of the Gift Card. Terms and Conditions apply.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Detailed maps of Lower 49 States includes Hawaii, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, The Bahamas, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Barthemelemy, Jamaca (Excludes Alaska). Free lifetime map updates up to 4 times per year
- Millions of points of interest, including hotels, restaurants, parking, entertainment, fuel, shopping and more. 4.3-inch (480 x 272 pixels) display with white backlight
- Features include Lane Assist with Junction View, Route Avoidance and Where am I
- Not Bluetooth compatible.
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||$4.82|
|Sold By||heartland trading company||NaviClub||Amazon.com||Dream Deal|
|Battery Average Life||2 hours||2.5 hours||3 hours||2 hours|
|Screen Size||4.3 in||5 in||5 in||5 in|
|Display Type||WQVGA||WQVGA||TFT LCD||TFT LCD|
|Item Dimensions||0.8 x 3.1 x 4.9 in||0.76 x 3.3 x 5.4 in||5.3 x 1.3 x 3.7 in||0.7 x 5.5 x 3.4 in|
|Item Weight||5.3 ounces||6.6 ounces||7.7 ounces||6.3 ounces|
|Map Types||street, City Tour, north-america||street, City Tour, north-america||North America||US|
|Native Resolution||—||480 x 272 pixels||—||—|
|Additional Features||Portable||Touch Sensitive Screen||includes_lifetime_map_updates||Voice Prompts|
Dependable, Easy-to-use Guidance
With its bright 4.3” display, spoken turn-by-turn directions and many innovative features, the sleek nüvi 42LM offers dependable, easy-to-use driving guidance.
Detailed Maps with Free Lifetime Updates
Maps of the lower 49 states, plus free lifetime¹ map updates, let you easily find addresses and millions of points of interest.
Lane assist with junction view indicates the proper lane for a turn or exit with brightly colored arrows and detailed images. nüvi 42LM also displays speed limit, current speed and accurate arrival time.
One-stop Device Management
Use Garmin Express to keep your nüvi up-to-date. Garmin Express makes it easy to update maps and software, transfer favorites to and from devices, and install free custom vehicles and voices.
What's in the Box:
- nüvi 42LM
- Preloaded with City Navigator® NT North America - Lower 49 States
- Lifetime maps¹ (indicated by “LM” after model number on the box)
- Vehicle power cable
- Vehicle suction cup mount
- USB cable
- Quick start manual
¹If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to 4 map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for 1 compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic map data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™/SD™ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another Garmin product.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
* It is really fast to acquire a GPS satellite. Most of the time in less than a couple of seconds. I took this GPS on a trip to Myrtle Beach from Pittsburgh and it has always been fast in acquiring satellites.
Screen and screen navigation:
* I went with the 4.3 inch over the 5 inch version because I dont really see a reason to pay the extra $20 for an additional 0.7".
* The screen is not as good as the current smart phones but very responsive for a GPS. It is much better compared to my 885.
* The GPS is fast and very responsive. No lags when moving across different screens.
* The map updates are pretty good. I have updated it once now and the process was very smooth.
* This is my first GPS with lifetime maps. I have read reviews of other GPS where people complain about space issues when updating maps. This has 4GB space and the maps take about 2GB so lot of free space for future updates.
Compatibility with garmin mount:
* I had the garmin friction dash mount that I bought for my old GPS and it works perfectly with that. The dash mount is awesome and you can find it here:
Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging
An excellent GPS for the price.
The not so good: Very frustrating out of the box. No manual with the device, of course. When I plugged it in and registered the device, I assumed there would be a link right there to the manual for the device I was registering (wouldn't that make sense?). But no. I found a place to search for manuals on the Garmin web site, but it didn't provide one for my device. Eventually figured out by trial and error how to download and open up the Garmin Express program on my computer, which as it turns out, is where you find a way to download a manual. And once you open up the manual--guess what--there are instructions on how to do what I had just had to figure out how to do by myself to get to the manual. What is wrong with people who design and sell products? Do they want their customers' first experience with their products to be a frustrating waste of time? Does it ever occur to them to hand the box with their product to someone outside the company and say, "here, use this," and see what happens?
One glitch with the actual operation of the GPS: Three times when I have not taken the turn I was instructed to take, the GPS has tried to direct me to turn into a one-way street going the wrong way. Ooops.
But, overall I'm happy with the product.