Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Color: Black/Red|Style Name: With Heart Rate Monitor|Change

Showing 1-10 of 971 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,092 reviews
on October 23, 2014
Love this watch. My old Garmin died and I am loving this one even more. Picks up satellites super fast. Love the live tracking feature when I have my iPhone. Hubby can see where I am along my route. Also like that when in vicinity of phone, automatically uploads to Garmin Connect. After completing a run, tells you what "records" you just beat. (Longest run, fastest mile, fastest 5k) Easy to use and navigate the screens. My photo shows the summary screen at end of run.
review image
33 comments| 295 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2013
Pros:
- Thinner and lighter than the FR210
- Color display with better resolution
- GPS signal works well, even in midtown Manhattan, where it's densely populated and loaded with skyscrapers (average satellite lock time: 5-6 seconds for me)
- GPS is accurate and reliable. I have yet to experience problems. Will update if this changes.
- Heart rate monitor (bought as a package) and Bluetooth to iPhone work well
- Waterproof so I don't have problems with sweat or wearing it when I shower
- Variety of screens you can choose from to display data during your run
- Can transfer data via Bluetooth to my iPhone app (which is linked to Garmin Connect) or through the cable provided
- Garmin Connect is actually quite useful in detecting patterns in your training, monitoring the physiological responses you have during various types of workouts, and sending training plans to your watch
- Functions and buttons are very intuitive; I spent less than 3 minutes looking at the manual before mastering the watch

Con:
- Wish there were more color combos (like all black)
- GPS takes forever to establish connection with the satellite for the first time (but it is very quick after)
- The Garmin Connect app on the iPhone is a bit glitchy, but tech support said they are already working on updates
- Battery life was very average in this day and age

This watch is probably one of the best I've seen in the market for a while. The $250 (or $300 if you get the heart rate monitor with it) is well worth it if you actually use it/serious about running. This little device will tell you everything you need and want to know about your body and your training. If running is a hobby, then I suggest just using mapmyrun.com and/or just getting a simple wrist watch. The value lies in being able to train on heart rate and logging decently accurate mileage (not accurate enough for tracks) without having to map it out beforehand.

As a competitive runner logging 60 to 80 miles per week, I would recommend this watch to runners who are serious and want to be scientific with their training.
55 comments| 366 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2014
My sole purpose in buying a GPS watch was to train myself for a Boston Qualifying marathon (thus needing to know how fast I go when I run to better know how prepared I am for it). I purchased the Forerunner 220 (Black/Red) without a heart rate monitor instead of the Forerunner 110 due to some of its added capabilities (which really aren't too many).

PROs:

- Getting started with this watch is a breeze. Press the run button twice and off you go. Satellites are picked up quickly after the first time you take it out of the box (and the first time only takes a few minutes), meaning you don't have to fuss at all.
- Small wrist? No problem! This watch fits on virtually anyone's wrist. I have ridiculously small wrists and there are still a dozen more holes to make it tighter. The watch is also very small and unobtrusive which feels like a normal watch.
- The screen is extremely readable and the button inputs help to easily navigate. It doesn't require rocket science to change settings or go for a jog.
- While running you can view your current pace, lap pace, distance traveled, current time, running cadence, etc. If you want to keep running at a 7:00 mile pace you can even get an alarm that alerts you when you aren't going at the proper speed.
- The auto-lap feature can be configured so that you can get updates on your pace and lap splits at set distances (I normally keep this to update me every mile). You can set it to chime, vibrate, or both to let you know to look at your wrist and see how you're doing. This helps to understand if you are slowing down or speeding up in a workout.
- Garmin Connect has training plans for various distances. As I'm training for a marathon, I've been loosely following their Level II marathon plan. You can transfer the training calendar to your watch to let you know what workout to do. Custom workouts like Fartleks are easy as reoccurring alarms can let you know when to speed up or slow down. You can follow the premade workout plans or make up your own entirely.

CONs:

- Garmin Connect has an app for smartphones, but the selection of compatible smartphones is seriously lacking. My LG G2 can't connect with the Bluetooth from the watch, meaning that I need to physically plug my watch into my computer to upload data (wireless connectivity is one of the 220's selling points). I feel like any phone with bluetooth compatability should be easily supported, but that's just me.
- The (Android) app is also minimalistic and not particularly user friendly. It feels to me like Garmin wanted to tell folks it has an app but then never supports it.
- The autolap feature I enjoy so much doesn't work in custom workouts. This means if I create a workout that tells me to run for an hour and a half it won't give me the update chime and display every mile. That feature only works for the normal "run".

SUMMARY:

If you really want to have pace alerts, custom workouts, and the ability to set interval training (like Fartleks), the 220 is the watch to have. If you aren't using this watch for anything complicated, I'd strongly recommend the 110 and save yourself some money. The Forerunner 220 is a great running watch, but may be a bit much if you don't need to keep track of a lot of metrics or if you aren't using a complicated workout plan.
22 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2015
I just started regular running few weeks ago (3-4 time per week, 25 miles weekly total as of now), so I consider myself a novice runner and don't need all bells and whistles in a running watch that a seasoned runner may need. This watch serves the purpuse for me quite well.

What I like:
- it's a lightweight watch, there is no bulk on my wrist, which would've been an issue during longer runs
- display is clearly visible even under direct sunlight
- the watch has necessary data for me - such as heart rate, cadence, pace, speed, distance, etc. It has two custom screens so I can organize my data as I want
- I can program workouts on the Garmin Connect, and then push those workouts to the watch. The workouts can be programmed for intervals, distance, time, pace or heart rate. Then, when I'm out running, the watch would keep me in the pre-defined zone and would alert if I, for instance, run slower/faster, or if my heart rate is outside of the zone. Really nice feature.
- Garmin Connect stores all data from my runs (if I upload it from the watch; and I can upload the data via my smartphone), the data can later be reviewed/analyzed.

There is nothing that I really dislike, but couple of things I think worth pointing out:
- sometime it takes a few minutes before the watch locks the satellites, I mean 5-7 minutes, even if I ran with it the day before
- there are only three parameters that can be displayed on each custom screen. So, if I wanted to simultaneously see, let's say, pace, distance, cadence and heart rate, I have to switch between screens. This is not a big issue, however, but rather an inconvenience.

In summary, I realy like this watch, it helps me better organize my training, and later I can analyze how I'm doing

UPDATE: Dropping one star off. Just ran with this watch on a cloudy day. Well, the watch dropped signal quite frequently at the beginning of my run, then it seemed to be okay, but when I downloaded the data after workout, it looked like for about 40-50 minutes there was no elevation changes nor pace, and I was running up all that time - it didn't record data properly or something?

UPDATE 2: If anyone is interested, this watch and the chest sensor just survived a (accidental) wash in washing machine. Still working (tried them on a run after the accident)
on March 4, 2017
I have owned this watch for 18 months, I run 10 miles a day and it has performed extremely well. It measures distance extremely accurately, down to the hundredth of a mile (I test it multiple times per training run and it's spot on), it measures heart rate very accurately, I've tested it against another electronic device, it calculates the average time time per mile down to the second (and is correct every time) and it calculates your current pace. This last metric is measured extremely well, but can at times bounce the current pace time by 15 seconds either way from time to time, but it doesn't happen enough for me to be concerned. It does not lose the connection to the satellite ever. Being this is an expensive item I would encourage buying the extended warranty as a back up. If you're a walker or runner, you won't be disappointed.
on April 11, 2014
Great product, website works well, easy, user friendly... but... the chest band don't work when swimming, i checked three times, when i get out of the pool it immediately begin reading my heart rate (somehow lesser then the actual for the first few secs) when i submerge again the display was null again.. i think the excess of water creates a kind of short circuit on the band. I never had the same experience with my older polar. But this is a great product for running outdoors, walking.. weaker indoors gym training.. very lightweight, adorable to wear.. I liked it...
on August 22, 2015
I had a forerunner 210 that died on me so I sought a replacement that would be a step up. The 220 it's my choice and I'm extremely satisfied with my choice. It does everything the description says, and as others have said, it's crazy quick when getting a SAT signal, a welcome change from the 210 that would sometimes take upto 5 mins. You can set up 2 data screens to see during a run; three fields per and you can change them around to your desire... nice. Another nice upgrade, battery lasts longer, I ran 17 miles over a 5 day span and my charge was still over 50% before I recharged it; I also use it as a watch so I think the battery power is a definite plus. The Bluetooth allows you to upload to connect as soon as you're close to the linked smartphone, and if nike+ is your app, connect will link to connect. Overall, a good choice for the runner that just has to know how long they are along their run and later look at the route to make future route decisions.
on December 18, 2014
The watch is accurate and easy but it doesn't stand up to an active lifestyle. The "glass" on the watch showed scratches early and often, then broke after 6 months of use. When I contacted garmin customer support they wanted almost $90 to fix it.
on March 19, 2017
Great, great watch. Light, great battery life, has everything you'd ever need in a running watch. My wrist does get pretty sweaty while running with it, but whatever, that's why we run. GPS seems to be about as accurate as it gets, and syncing to my phone and laptop is a breeze. Generally finds satellite signal within a couple minutes so I don't have to wait all that long to start my run. Sometimes it does take a little longer which is slightly annoying
on October 31, 2014
This watch is very accurate and easy to program/use. The Garmin software for iPad leaves something to be desired, but the watch itself is top notch. When you're not running, the watch battery will last a long time, but you get maybe 10 hours of running on a single charge. This isn't a problem for me since charging is very fast and easy with the supplied adapter and USB cable. I have not used other GPS watches, but I am very pleased with the Forerunner 220.