Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

16,760
Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 15,228 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 16,760 reviews
on February 1, 2017
This thing is great. I rely on the voice assist on my GPS to help me avoid looking down while driving, but sometimes it can't be avoided. I've tried many different GPS mounts with different vehicles over the years and this is by far my favorite. It is very well weighted and stays on the top of my dashboard while driving. A quick glance and I can read the GPS.

Another advantage of this is that once the mounting bar is in place, you can either lock it in place (so you would have to move the whole thing around to change the angle) or leave it unlocked and it will turn 360 degrees horizontally as needed. The mounting bar doesn't turn without assistance so I will probably never lock it.

I have one of those dashboard compartments so if it is particularly sunny or I am on a bumpy road, I can place it in there to help shade it and keep it in place.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2007
My Prius has a rough dashboard and a windshield that slopes very sharply. Thus, the suction cup mounts are not good solutions. Fortunately, the friction mount is a great solution. It works much better than I expected. Very stable, does not slide, and lets me adjust my Nuvi to a variety of different angles. I can place the GPS anywhere on the dash or even on the center console. Also works great when transferred to my wife's Ford.

Only downside to the device is that it has a rather large footprint, but not prohibitively large. I like the fact that I can easily use this in both of our family vehicles depending on where we need the GPS.

UPDATE: Now that I have used this mount regularly since May, I have to say this is the best mounting solution I've found for a GPS or any other device for my car. It hasn't slid out of place once!! Given the rise in GPS units being stolen from cars, this mount allows you to easily stash your GPS Unit and mount out of sight and then put it back into position with ease.

2009 Update: Still using this in my Prius and my wife has one too. It's held up quite well. It IS a bit bulky to store out of the way when not in use, but still a good solution. I usually remove my GPS from the mount (a simple process) and then place the mount as far under the seat as it will go. Not perfect, but the best solution I've found to date.
3333 comments| 2,288 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2015
This is an excellent product. I purchased the frustration free option and it came in a nice box. The item has the original Garmin label and it is easy enough to see a good quality. It is heavy, but I guess this is part of the friction mount technology. I am looking forward to try it in my car.

The very good feature is that the arm connected to the GPS can be easily detached with a single click. This is perfect for removing and putting back the GPS when you drive etc. This is a great accessory and I will definitely use it every day. It also helps me to have a better vision of the GPS Nuvi 5" when I am driving. In fact, having the GPS on the windshield makes the vision more difficult and less pleasant than having it on the dashboard.

Now I can go anywhere with my Jarvis and my batmobile (definitely older and uglier than the real batmobile).
on September 1, 2017
With my new ceramic windshield film installation it was recommended rhat I find another way to mount my Garmin GPS. I had one of these friction mounts a while back and it really didn't work well at all. Time has brought with it much improvement. This mount doesn't move at all and in fact it allows the GPS to be closer to me for the occasional touch it may need (it's a Voice Command model).I'm fairly sure the type of dash board you have will make a difference but this mount and my Prius's dash get along just fine togerher.
I just drove my brother's car, a Camry, for the last few days because he flew out with his family to Texas for a short vacation. He has the exact same GPS as me but his dashboard mount was round with a shorter radius than this one. I didn't check the make of his mount but, regardless, I prefer this one! A LOT!! Why? Well, the 4-way weights add stability for adjusting the GPS in the socket w/o turning the whole thing on the dash. And I can easily grab the unit and pull it close to press a button or whatever and then just shove it back. Excellent friction quotient. Just the right weight. My car is a Saturn Astra so with the somewhat smaller dashboard, it works great. Highly recommended.

(I'm completely confused that I purchased the "Frustration Free Packaging" vs. the regular packaging. I'm an AVP with the first but not the second and I have no clue what was particularly so much less frustrating about the packaging. The cost is the same. I hope everyone who got the "Frustration Packaging" didn't really have that much.)
on August 4, 2017
This worked well with my old nuvi, although it could occasionally end up on the floor when the dash was slippery enough and a turn sharp enough. Good to bring along for rental cars and such. HOWEVER, this apparently does not work with the DriveAssist 51, despite that model's being listed on the Garmin compatibility page. The DriveAssist mounts fine, and its clip is reversible, but I find no setting for reversing the orientation of the screen image. Stupid.

Edit: There turns out to be a permutation when mounting the DriveAssist that I (and others!) didn't try, demonstrated in a Garmin support video. Clip catch is mounted pointing UP on the DriveAssist.

I'll also be trying another commenter's suggestion to coat the bottom with some RTV silicone: could be helpful.
on July 31, 2017
We have purchased a few of these over the years for our GPS units and love them! The unit easily pops on/off, is adjustable and will sit right upon the top of your dashboard. No sliding around either. Also, it is easy to move from onto the floor when you leave the car – a great security feature! The bottom of the unit does break down overt ime causing it to slide around but I consider this normal wear and tear. I have gladly purchased a new unit after a few years and have never been unhappy.
on July 22, 2016
We have one of those cars that has a aircraft landing field for a dash. I wanted the GPS much closer than the windshield so I could actually use it. This friction mount has worked great. their is a hair of vibration when driving but not enough to bother me. I would absolutely purchase another if needed. Over time it will migrate on the dash but very very slowly, not enough to actually bother you.
on September 29, 2015
I needed to get something to replace a GPS windshield mount that I had bought on eBay for my Garmin Nuvi. I saw this item listed on Amazon, and I have to admit that I was skeptical about it, but decided to order it anyway. After using it for over a month now, I can honestly say that this is one amazing product! The mount in the center can rotate left or right to your desired position, and then you can lock it in place so it doesn't turn any more. Once you attach your GPS to the mount, you can still adjust the angle for best viewing.
The beanbag type base holds to my dashboard remarkably well. I've tried using it over on the left corner of my dash and on the flat surface in the center of my dash and it has not shifted position once, even when making turns.
The only downside is that it's somewhat large, and if you have a lot of stuff in your glovebox, you probably won't be able to fit it in there for storage when you're not using it. I keep mine on the floor just in front of the driver's seat when it's not in use.
on May 30, 2017
This thing works very well. I recommend moving it every once in awhile​. Especially if living in hot weather. The bottom sticky part tend to leave black residue if not moved. I recommend moving and cleaning the area after a couple of weeks. The product works well and keeps the GPS in place