Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

17,030
Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging
Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on February 1, 2017
This thing is great. I rely on the voice assist on my GPS to help me avoid looking down while driving, but sometimes it can't be avoided. I've tried many different GPS mounts with different vehicles over the years and this is by far my favorite. It is very well weighted and stays on the top of my dashboard while driving. A quick glance and I can read the GPS.

Another advantage of this is that once the mounting bar is in place, you can either lock it in place (so you would have to move the whole thing around to change the angle) or leave it unlocked and it will turn 360 degrees horizontally as needed. The mounting bar doesn't turn without assistance so I will probably never lock it.

I have one of those dashboard compartments so if it is particularly sunny or I am on a bumpy road, I can place it in there to help shade it and keep it in place.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
75 helpful votes
76 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on June 1, 2007
My Prius has a rough dashboard and a windshield that slopes very sharply. Thus, the suction cup mounts are not good solutions. Fortunately, the friction mount is a great solution. It works much better than I expected. Very stable, does not slide, and lets me adjust my Nuvi to a variety of different angles. I can place the GPS anywhere on the dash or even on the center console. Also works great when transferred to my wife's Ford.

Only downside to the device is that it has a rather large footprint, but not prohibitively large. I like the fact that I can easily use this in both of our family vehicles depending on where we need the GPS.

UPDATE: Now that I have used this mount regularly since May, I have to say this is the best mounting solution I've found for a GPS or any other device for my car. It hasn't slid out of place once!! Given the rise in GPS units being stolen from cars, this mount allows you to easily stash your GPS Unit and mount out of sight and then put it back into position with ease.

2009 Update: Still using this in my Prius and my wife has one too. It's held up quite well. It IS a bit bulky to store out of the way when not in use, but still a good solution. I usually remove my GPS from the mount (a simple process) and then place the mount as far under the seat as it will go. Not perfect, but the best solution I've found to date.
2,290 helpful votes
2,291 helpful votes
3333 comments|Report abuse
on October 16, 2017
I purchased this Garmin Friction Mount in September 2017. It mimics the one that came with my Nuvi 2595 back in November 2013, but is not quite the same. 4 years of relentless cost reduction took a toll on its functionality. (1) The pad does not slide on the curved dashboard as other reviewers noted. Just bend the center metal legs slightly to conform to the surface and it will sit solid. This is the only feature that still works. (2) The filler beads in the four peripheral pouches have grown in size in 4 years. Not only they now cheerfully rattle on bumps and potholes, but also bulge and obstruct the lock button that releases the ball arm. I had to take the pad off the dash, let the bead pouch droop, and only then push the lock down. It’s awkward, but still not nerve breaking. And finally… (3) A rather light nuvi 2595 FALLS OFF THE BALL if I touch it, even lightly, for adjustment. First I thought I did not push the ball all the way in, but nope, the ball is teensy bit small. How else to explain that the old 2013 pad effortlessly supports a bigger and heavier nuviCam , but the new 2017 one cannot handle even a lighter nuvi 2595? The old one works perfectly for both! The new one does for neither of them.
on July 31, 2017
We have purchased a few of these over the years for our GPS units and love them! The unit easily pops on/off, is adjustable and will sit right upon the top of your dashboard. No sliding around either. Also, it is easy to move from onto the floor when you leave the car – a great security feature! The bottom of the unit does break down overt ime causing it to slide around but I consider this normal wear and tear. I have gladly purchased a new unit after a few years and have never been unhappy.
on July 22, 2016
We have one of those cars that has a aircraft landing field for a dash. I wanted the GPS much closer than the windshield so I could actually use it. This friction mount has worked great. their is a hair of vibration when driving but not enough to bother me. I would absolutely purchase another if needed. Over time it will migrate on the dash but very very slowly, not enough to actually bother you.
2 helpful votes
on October 30, 2017
I got this since I was traveling to California and I read that you are not allowed to mount anything on the windshield in that state. It worked great and I actually like it better than the suction cup windshield mount. It doesn't slide around and allows you more flexibility in placeing the device. Being on the dash provides less obstruction to your view as well. It also doesn't leave a ring on the windshield like suction cups do to alert someone that there might be a portable GPS stored in the vehicle. Well worth the price.
on May 30, 2017
This thing works very well. I recommend moving it every once in awhile​. Especially if living in hot weather. The bottom sticky part tend to leave black residue if not moved. I recommend moving and cleaning the area after a couple of weeks. The product works well and keeps the GPS in place
2 helpful votes
on October 30, 2017
This is a necessity for a GPS. I purchased the large screen Garmin GPS. It sets perfectly on this Friction Mount. I used it on my trip and it reduced my anxiety from always getting lost. It fit on the dash and did not move or sway when I was driving. It is balanced and holds the GPS securely. This Friction Mount is easy to fold and store. I would definitely recommend it as a NEEDED accessory for your GPS. Great Aide for someone who stresses when driving.
on August 24, 2017
This works great for my Trailblazer, which has a fairly flat dash. My Toyota Yaris has a center mount dash instrument panel and the sides are fairly steep. Even vibration from paved roads will allow the holder to very slowly slide off the dash. In all fairness, the angle of the Yaris dash is very steep. All considered, it's a good buy for the majority of cars. I just can't swap my Garmin GPS between vehicles as I had hoped.
on June 11, 2017
for gps useage in car with a deep dash board. this allows me to set the gps on the passenger seat when doing appraisal field inspections. The 08 civic I drive has a very deep dash so windshield mount would not work. when I need to enter multiple addresses the reach is impossible. This lets me set the unit on passenger seat and program as many as I want with gps in easy reach. Very helpful and puts gps in easy reach.