Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 970 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,078 reviews
on February 10, 2017
Bought this to supplement my new Garmin Forerunner 230. Initial setup took about 5 minutes and 2 tries, but now it connects to my Forerunner immediately when I am about to head out for a run. I do wet the sensors (with a drop of spit, honestly) but I sweat so much during my runs that it's probably not even necessary. Heart rate seems accurate but my running coach has cautioned me against worrying about "zones" and "max HR" without an actual treadmill/bike test with a cardiologist. I use it more so for calorie calculations and seeing how much my HR goes up on hills or during speed work.
on December 17, 2016
This Heart Rate Monitor works well with the Garmin Vivoactive watch. It paired with the watch without issue and after that the watch has had no problems recognizing the monitor.

I've only three times so far, but it works as advertised. I haven't experienced any chaffing yet, but 5 miles has been my longest run.

If your compatible watch doesn't have a built in (wrist) heart rate monitor or if you're looking for more accuracy than the wrist monitor can provide this is a great option. This heart rate monitor uses the ant+ connectivity and not Bluetooth so make sure you device is compatible.
on September 8, 2016
Works great with my Vivofit, I just had to enable the heart HR screen in the Garmin app. What I find works best is if I put it on and then splash a little water on my skin where the sensors are located. It usually connects and updates right away if I do this. If I don't do this, it might take a minute or more to give me a reliable hr. Should have bought one long ago. It takes the guesswork out of exercising.

Update, after exercise I take this in the shower with me and let it drip dry. If you don't do this, the cloth might start smelling from the sweat.
on March 7, 2017
I actually like this heart rate monitor better than Garmin's "Premium" soft strap model for several reasons:

1. It costs $18 less.
2. The battery is much easier to change.
3. The "soft" straps on the more expensive "Premium" model don't stay flat, and easily twist.
on June 14, 2014
Heart strap has been almost perfect in operation, only a few drop outs while running. The key is to wet your skin with water and the sensor pads before starting the workout. I've only had to re-apply a few times during longer work outs. I get a constant and accurate read-out into my Endomondo Sports Tracker app every day. Highly recommended.

This Garmin HR strap use the ANT+ protocol, not Bluetooth. Please make sure your smartphone supports it. Newer Samsung devices such as S4 and Note3 as I have both of them. ANT+ is better than BT in my opinion because it is very lower power consumption. Additionally your smartphone application has to be able to read the ANT+ API which is a developer support issues. I believe they sell an ANT+ to BT adapter for some devices if you are really want to use this strap.

Update 8/13 (4 months later):

When your Garmin strap fails, and *IT WILL* no matter how much you take care of it. Don't despair, get this replacement band (Polar Soft Strap Set for less $20) and attach your Garmin ANT+ device to it. The Polar strap is just the strap, not the Polar device+strap unit. Garmin unit works like and charm, and the Polar strap has much better build quality and sensor pads than the original Garmin.
on January 15, 2017
This is a nice ANT+ HR monitor. It senses well, fits comfortably on me, and has held up to repeated use & wash. I'm still on the original battery after about 90 hours of use.

The fancier/nicer Garmin HR-RUN/TRI (red or blue units) sensors don't seem to work with the Concept2 rower, as it won't detect them.
This one is just basic HR, and pairs just fine.
It has no problem providing HR data to multiple receivers simultaneously. The replacement elastic straps are cheap enough to replace as needed.
on April 8, 2013
This unit is wrought with errors and failures. For one moment it is reporting a heart rate consistent with my effort. Then the unit reports values significantly below or above with no appreciable change in effort. This is typically followed by a zero reading or unit cannot be found error. I then attempt a series of recoveries: i.e., I try a repositioning, I try spitting on my fingers and rewetting the the strap contacts, I try unsnapping & re-snapping the transmitter, I've tried hand washing it after each use, One last thing left to try, and that is electrode cream. I hope that works and even if it does, it is an extra step that I shouldn't have to make. Garmin needs to get it together, because it is dangerous for me to try an execute the aforementioned recoveries, with limited or intermittent success, while riding at average speeds of 20+.

I bought an inexpensive timex Heart Rate Monitor watch and strap setup for running and lately I've been wearing them both and the timex is reliable but it will not interface with either my Garmin Edge 510 nor my Bontrager Node 2.

So for what it is worth, the one Garmin that I have is a dangerous and unreliable device. Garmin must do better or get out of the business claiming to provide products that can provide this service. Maybe we'd all be better served if Garmin would open up their units to accept connection from other devices such as the Zephyr, Timex, Polar, Bontrager or any other reliable device
on November 11, 2011
This strap worked great for a few months but now tells me my heart is racing well over 200 bpm. It will stay up there for a while, then come back down to earth for a bit, before giving me bogus readings all over again. I have seen similar stories are all over the net.

Updated 11/17/2011 - I am seeing more reliable signals using the Garmin watch with this strap now. I had to tighten the strap and wet it more thoroughly than I used to - Not sure why? Maybe a conductive coating begins to wear? So I raised the rating back to a 4. On a parallel note, one thing my running partner and I have discovered is that we are cross-contaminating our readings. Like me, he has the iPhone 4, Wahoo ANT+ sensor, and this strap. In addition, I also have the Garmin 610 watch. We're both really watching our heartrates to concentrate training in our aerobic zones. What we are discovering is that even though we've been careful to pair things properly, we will end up picking up each other's signals in the iPhone Runkeeper app, so some of the craziness we've been seeing may be related to cross pairing. iSmoothRun, another iPhone app, displays the serial number of the strap where Runkeeper does not. We're going to test and see if Runkeeper is "dynamic pairing" on the fly at start-up with whatever sensor it sees, while iSmoothRun may be persisting the serial number and staying paired with your strap. We will let you know as it may help some of you with similar configurations.

Updated 12/16/2011 - Well, the strap is officially bad. I believe that when it gets slightly wet after hand-washing just the strap, even after drying it, you'll get bogus readings of 200+. I am sending it back to Garmin for replacement. I would recommend the Timex ANT+ soft-strap instead. It has worked flawlessly for me now after a month of heavy use and I find it more comfortable than the Garmin strap which tends to roll in on itself. I lowered the Garmin rating down to a 2.
on March 6, 2017
Slides around a bit more than the polar strap I used for years but seems to keep the beat. I use it during XC skate skiing, running and cycling; takes a bit to get used to the feel but chest straps are the most accurate way to get your heart rate especially if you are doing interval training.
on March 3, 2017
This is my second Garmin Heart Rate Monitor. The first one was great, but I left it on the bed one morning and Horatio decided it looked a lot like a chew toy. I took the opportunity to look at other options, but this just fits my life. I use it in conjunction with my Samsung S Health app.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.