Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap)
Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Happy Belly Snacks Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,477 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on May 26, 2013
After going thru 2 versions of Garmin and a Polar HRM&strap, this one finally works! I had been fed up with intermittent and erroneous heart rates, and no matter what I did (wet the pads, use electrode gel, etc.) there always would be crazy readings of 22 and even 222. This one worked fine right from the start. What's the difference between them all? This one has a shielding layer which mitigates the static electricity and interference that seemed to upset the other straps. It also has a 'polarity' - where you have the Right and Left side indicated as well as the shielding layer making contact to the skin. Garmin recommends to remove the transmitter module and wash in a regular washing machine after 7 uses, it would appear that a build up of sweat 'shorts out' the sensor pads and machine washing cleans up the salty sweat.
55 comments| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2015
This unit works very well until it flakes out and fails. I've had two of them. The first started to lose contact with my Garmin 510 after about a year. Replacing the battery helped only marginally so I bought a new one. After only three months it is starting to fail, which leads me to my second complaint. Of course the first thing you do when the unit starts to fail is replace the battery! But this is tremendously tedious and error-prone. Rather than use something reasonable like a tiny hex-head screw, the unit has miniature philips-head screws, so tiny that even a #0 driver doesn't fit. I end up using jewelers tools, but the screws are in so tight, the only way to get them out is to clamp a vise-grip on the tiny screwdriver and wrestle it into submission. Here's hoping that the battery is the problem this time.
review image
66 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2014
(updated review below)

Original review: While this has a nice strap and a low profile sensor, the 4 Phillips screws that hold the battery cover in place are very small and very soft. The first thing I did when I received this from Amazon was check the battery, which requires removing the 4 screws on the back of the unit. I used a jewelers screwdriver and 3 of the 4 small screws came out relatively easily, but the 4th stripped the head and now can't be removed. Low quality screws with soft metal tend to do this, or the screw may have been over-tightened. Either way, this HRM will only be usable until the battery dies, which will be within a year. This is a very poor design or materials choice. I hope most units aren't like this, but you won't know until it's time to replace the battery. The unit will be out of warranty and then the user will be out another $50 because they'll need to buy a replacement HRM.

Other brands have a more sensible and easier to access battery door (e.g. coin twist door on the Cateye). Garmin is smarter that this and they should produce a higher quality product using better quality screws or design it in a way that doesn't require such small screws to be used. I'm very disappointed with them on this. I will be returning this HRM and looking for one that will last through multiple battery changes.

Update 3/31/14: I'm upping my review to 3 stars from 1. I prefer the slimmer design of this unit over some of the other brands I looked at, so I decided to give it another chance and ordered another one. I checked the screws on the back of the new unit to see if also had the same problem (soft/defective or stuck screw). This second one was fine and the screws all came out and went back in without any problem or damage. I've returned the 1st one as defective and will keep this second one. I still stand by my assertion that the design choice to use 4 tiny screws to hold the battery cover is bad. Perhaps my first one just had a defective screw? I recommend that if you purchase this HRM, check the screws to make sure you can get them out (to eventually replace the battery) before you get outside the return/exchange window (30 days).
1313 comments| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2013
This is my third Garmin Heart Rate Monitor. I own the "old" style hard strap which came with my forerunner ages ago, and while it still works I've always found it a bit uncomfortable. The Premium strap which came with my 310XT was more comfortable, but it suffered from the heart rate spikes that so many people have complained about. I misplaced/lost that strap while travelling about a year ago, and have been making do with the old-style hard strap.

With the purchase of a Concept 2 erg and its PM4, it was time to find something comfortable again. I wavered between buying a the newest version of the Premium HRM strap and sensor or just going with the sensor and buying the Polar wearlink strap (a la DCRainmaker). I obviously went with the whole Garmin package, and I'm very happy. The strap is very comfortable and I have had no issues with it communicating with my 310XT or the PM4 on my Concept 2. I think the re-design with the silver fabric has helped solve the heart rate spiking problem.

If you've had issues with Garmin's older premium soft strap, are still committed to Garmin HRM products and ANT+, are in the market for a new one, I recommend this updated version.
22 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2016
This is HRM3 vs HRM1 (which ships with vivofit2 bundle (as of 5/2016),
Each take same cr2032 replacement battery but have completely different locking mechanism for battery compartment..
THIS HRM3 uses 4 tiny screws vs the coin-twist convenience of the HRM1..
on September 8, 2015
Love it! I hook it up to map my fitness and I love having the data it provides my workouts!
on August 16, 2014
Not exactly sure why these straps keep failing, but this one did the same as the last one. Works perfectly for a few months then starts to work intermittently and then not at all. I have rinsed the strap regularly, changed batteries, tried to make sure contact areas were clear (of hair), and finally gave up. I will not replace with a Garmin product again but may look for alternative Ant+ so it feeds my bike computer. Expensive. Unreliable.
on March 12, 2016
Would not pair with my new garmin edge 500. It after a few attempts it would see the heart rate monitor id on the garmin but listed as not connected and no data. Sending back.. will try with a new one

Update - got a replacement and it also didn't pair at first. There are a few contributing factors here.

1. Garmin documentation is a trash fire. No where in the edge 500 or the heart rate documentation does it say you need to get your heart rate up to pair, but I did find this link on the garmin site that suggests it is necessary . sense that something needs to activate the sensor since there is no on/off switch.[...]

2. I have a low resting heart rate of 40bpm so maybe that's too low to activate the sensor and perhaps most people never run into pairing issues.

The setup with the edge is a bit odd. You wade through the menu until you get to heart rate and then hit the "search" option. This exits immediately in my case, no "sensor not found" or any sort of timeout message, nothing!

Here's my advice, if you have problems pairing. Wet the band as instructions indicate, activate the search-for-heartrate monitor in edge settings then just go for a short spin and get your heart rate up if necessary. The garmin will display a message when it pairs and then it will be awesome from then on, presumably.
on March 8, 2015
Avoid this product! As mentioned by others, the battery cannot be removed because the screws are in too tight. Formerly you could open these devices with a penny; now four screws indicates the cheapest assembler in China now has the business. I have bought several of these devices and none is as poorly designed as this one. Second, the strap that Garmin sent me is *not* adjustable; so now that it has stretched, it no longer holds its position and doesn't work. Cheap, shoddy, overpriced and now, mine is useless. Go elsewhere for a heart rate monitor.
review image
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2014
I thought that they had reworked the strap, but this thing still is no where close to the Polar strap.
Will use it until it does not work anymore and than switch back to a Polar
(you have to use the Garmin HR pod with the Polar Strap, the Polar HR pod does of course not work for the Garmin. read dcraimaker.com for reviews and advice I learned a lot from him)

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.