Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,713 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,778 reviews
on August 5, 2015
This unit works very well until it flakes out and fails. I've had two of them. The first started to lose contact with my Garmin 510 after about a year. Replacing the battery helped only marginally so I bought a new one. After only three months it is starting to fail, which leads me to my second complaint. Of course the first thing you do when the unit starts to fail is replace the battery! But this is tremendously tedious and error-prone. Rather than use something reasonable like a tiny hex-head screw, the unit has miniature philips-head screws, so tiny that even a #0 driver doesn't fit. I end up using jewelers tools, but the screws are in so tight, the only way to get them out is to clamp a vise-grip on the tiny screwdriver and wrestle it into submission. Here's hoping that the battery is the problem this time.
review image
1212 comments| 192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2017
So this does what I expected - it tracks HR. But as a bonus with my Felix 3 watch, it also seems to improve accuracy on calories burned and all kinds of other useful info, and it's super handy to get an accurate read on HR when working out. This is the first strap I've used, and I like it! It's comfortable and seems easy enough to maintain.
on April 24, 2016
NO MORE HEART RATE SPIKES!!!!!!! I have tried all the Garmin heart rate straps, from the original plastic one to two different versions of the soft strap. No matter what, I would often get heart rate spikes when going fast downhill or on windy days. This strap is made very differently, with extra sensors and a directionallity to the strap (and sending unit). Cold rides, hot rides, vest, no vest - it hasn't mattered. Since getting this strap I have not had a single heart rate spike. 100% awesome! 5 of 5 stars for the strap part.
The down side is the sending unit does indeed have a crummy design in terms of getting to the battery. The screws are tiny and easy to strip (or lose). You just need a very good small Phillips screwdriver, push down hard, and turn slowly. It actually works with a high quality screwdriver that is a little bigger than what you would expect (the tiny screwdriver made for glasses doesn't engage as well). With the right screwdriver, I was able to open the back to confirm the battery voltage on arrival without any issues. (Mine had a good battery when it came; some people have reported getting it with a worn battery). I'll take having it be a pain to replace the battery once a year over the frequent HR spikes any day, but wish they had done a better job with that part of the design, thus 4 of 5 stars.
Last thing: the strap has a L and a R, and it has an arrow that has to line up with an arrow on the sending unit. Therefore, I'm not sure whether this would work well with the sending unit from the old soft straps even though they look similar (those units were not directional). That said, the price on Amazon is so cheap, it's no big deal to be buying the strap and unit together for $40.
on October 14, 2016
I 've been a loyal fan of Garmin watches since the ¨Forerunner 10 to the 920, but the HRM's are really letting me down. Today I ordered the 3rd one in 14 months (going back to the original all plastic one), which at least lasted a bit more than one year. This Premium HRM lasted 4 months. There is really an issue with this monitors because it is not just bad luck, On my tri team at least 3 other people are going thru the same experience. Too bad we spend so much money on a watch to be dissapointed with its cheapest component.
on May 28, 2015
I run frequently but just recently got into the data around my runs. I bought a Garmin Forerunner 15 a few weeks back, and love the data it gives me. I wanted to add to that by utilizing the heart rate monitor. I'm glad I got the "Premium," my understanding is that it has the wider strap. I say get the premium. My average run is about 6 miles, and I can't imagine having a smaller strap. This strap keeps it in place and I can hardly tell it's there. It linked to my watch automatically once I hit the button to stat a run. Great product and fun data!
on April 6, 2017
I have had two of these devices and both failed to work as advertised. I did every thing suggested to get them to work to no avail. Very erratic at times, drop outs lasting minutes, failing to start at all, etc. Very disappointed in Garmin at this point. Going to try the Wahoo strap.
I purchased the Wahoo HR device and am totally satisfied with its performance. The response is immediate and no drop outs yet. Can't return the Garmin so I'm stuck with a 45 dollar device that is worthless to me. Live and learn.
on June 8, 2017
While I wear a "watch" with an HR monitor in it, those are not nearly as accurate as the chest straps like this. You'll find the chest strap HR monitor to be the most accurate method of measuring Heart Rate. The Garmin unit is of good quality, mine has lasted well now for 3 years paired with multiple devices. Reliability and pairing is generally very good, but could be slightly better (hence the reason for a 1 star deduction), but overall a very good HR chest strap for the money.
on April 2, 2017
When product arrived, it would not connect to my garmin watch. Screws were so tight that I could not open the cover to the battery set. I ordered a jewelers screwdriver set so that I could open it on my own. Even with a jewelers screwdriver set, the screws were balding and I couldn't open it. I took the product to a watch review shop to get it open. When I finally was able to deal with this, I tried replacing the battery. A new battery didn't fix the problem and now it is outside of the return window so I can't even get my money back.

Was not a problem with my garmin watch, because it connects to other HR monitors.
on November 6, 2015
This strap failed as quickly as the original one that came with my Forefunner. After troubleshooting for a while and reading online reviews of Garmin heart rate monitors I am ready to give up on the company. The monitoring drops out for no apparent reason during an activity and the data is useless. If there is a noticeable improvement in future Garmin heart rate monitoring products or software I might consider trying a new one, but for now I do not recommend this strap if heart rate monitoring is an important part of your training.
on July 3, 2017
I am so happy with this product. I burn through HRMs. I train hard and sweat like crazy and drown HRMs. I used to burn through one every 1-5 months until I got my Garmin Forerunner 210. We had been going strong for 3 years until my strap stopped communicating. I was worried I'd need a new expensive HRM. I wasn't confident that a new product would work as well as my old trusty 210. This straps was $37 it self-paired to my Garmin and my old trusty HRM is as good as new. Fingers crossed that I get 3 more years out of it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.