Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 2, 2016
I know many of us are going crazy trying to figure out which of the latest Truckers GPS units is the best value. I have it down to two for many reasons. I will go into why in another review when I make my final decision. No one has written anything (that is no users) about the Rand McNally TND-710. But I will because I just ordered it. I have been using this one (The Garmin dezl-560 LMT) LMT just means included free lifetime maps and traffic updates. The LT will cost you to update the NuMaps (thats the mapping co) after 60 days from purchase. Its worth getting the LMT model for the lifetime updates of maps. Don't get that confused with software updates to fix glitches... they are always free. Now about the lifetime traffic. Well the receiver it comes with that is built into the power cable is free because it throws up advertisements at you now and then. I hate advertisements! I called Garmin which has excellent support as does RM and they said the non-ad power (the traffic receiver is built into the power cable) cable will cost an extra $120.00 and if you want premium traffic and construction service add $49.00 to that. WOW the only thing I can say good about that is its a one time fee. Now to add traffic and speed camera updates thats $25.00 per year. Lets add this up. I paid $459.00 for the unit (560LMT)on Amazon. $70.00 for accessories (Micro SD, Case, Windshield mount, Dash mount)$170.00 for traffic receiver power cord with prem software and $25.00 for the first year of camera warnings. Thats $724.00 all together if you want all the bells and whistles as I always do. By the way all that ado about getting add-free traffic...It sucks anyway. The traffic predictably is poor at best. Just turn it off so you don't see the advertisement. Save the $170.00. Maybe it will get better. Its a 3rd part co so its hard to say. RM (Rand McNally) Says it will offer a similar traffic receiver and service in June when there external antenna, case and other accessories come out. Right now RM only offers map updates for one year so its hard to say what the end cost of this unit will be. I WANT THE BEST! ...So I am spending alot to find out. DieselBoss is the only retailer I could find that was taking the time to compare these two units. Check it out. [...] The info is still coming in about the garmin but I agree with what they say about the Garmin so far.. I bought the Garmin here on Amazon...Best price.

I have owned or used 5 other GPSs to date.

Garmin dezl 560LMT (same as LT but no lifetime traffic)

PRO... *Starts,routes and re-routes fast 10-30sec, no lockup yet *(GREAT ROUTING SO FAR...This is the MOST IMPORTANT feature about any TRUCK GPS.) *Shows the posted truck speed of most roads next to your speed that turns red when you go over. *(Garmin has an unbelievable database) Every address I entered it had. This is not true of Google or even my Co-Pilot (PC-Miler).*Loud Speaker. *Quick access to brightness control. Easy snap-in mounting (No USB plug to plug in every time which can break) * Lane asst ...yea...love that.* Lots of fun stuff and voices you can add from the garmin AND 3rd party websites.

CON...*5" I WANT 7". *Does not show the names of cross streets as you pass them. *You can not just pan & zoom on the nav map. You have to go to a special map screen. * ETA does not adjust or work well at all...but its so bad i'm sure they will fix the software soon. My Co-Pilot ETA works perfectly. * You cannot show ETA and MTD (miles to destination) at the same time. Booo...I want both!. * The graphics could be better. Co-Pilots is Sweet Looking. Sounds like I'm working up Co-Pilot...lol...I'M NOT. POOR POOR Truck mapping almost every time with Co-Pilot...DON"T BUY.

Over View... The Hardware is rock solid, no freezes here and it re-routes you fast if you miss a turn but I wish they had a 7'. *The Software is very good for truck mapping and address thanks to garmins extensive data base but needs improvements on the stuff thats not as important but convenient.

I will update this as I learn, use and remember more. Going on 3 day trip tomorrow. MD-IN-NJ-DC-MD

Lets see what Rand McNally brings to the table with the TND710. I can't wait to get it.
on March 29, 2011

I have owned or used 5 other GPSs to date.

Garmin dezl 560LMT (same as LT but no lifetime traffic)

2626 comments| 266 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2012
I have 3 other Garmin's, all with lifetime maps and traffic. The updated maps are a mammoth download and for us with limited bandwidth it causes us to go over our allotted allowance, or the download stops and has to start all over again. The Garmin Updater is a pain and I would like to go back to downloading just the US and not the whole North America map as we don't travel outside of the US. As for the Garmin's themselves they are usually spot on, and the dezl 560 LMT was as good as the 1450 LMT and the two 1350 LMT's. Acquiring satellites is quick with the dezl and 1450, but one 1350 is slow to acquire. The dezl also requires you to set up a profile of your vehicle and for someone who slip seats this can be tedious. The cradle for the dezl 560 also eliminates the plug for power and the traffic cord, as it is incorporated into the cradle itself. Grab it and drop it in your pocket at a truck stop if you want to keep your Garmin.
The dezl also came with a bean bag like base which works pretty good unless your in a single axle day-cab... then get yourself some Velcro.
on April 2, 2011
I love that you can switch between car, pedestrian and large truck. Easy enough to use with fast reaction time. I like the fact that any point of interest on the unit gives not only the address but also a phone number for that place (Repair shops, truck stops, wal-mart, etc.) I would definately get the Lifetime Map Updated unit again. I had several others but did not have the L.M.T. and at $150 update every year you might as well buy a new unit. I definately liked my Garmin Nuvi 760 (NOT 765) alot better as far as map detail and features. My 760 displayed the crossroad ahead when you did not have the unit in route to a location. That was one of the best features ever. I cant believe Garmin got rid of that. I left that GPS in my smaller local delivery straight truck for the current driver as it was definately a saver on the brakes. Not really sure how the height thing works cause I have a flat-top with low loads on the flat all the time so I don't really run into height restrictions. The bridge weight thing works on the big road but not really all that well out in the sticks. I recently ran across a 2 mile wooden bridge rated for 40 ton but I was at 50 ton. GPS did not catch that nor did the county realize it should have been rated for 500 lbs and for bicycles not motor vehicles, 10' wide and scary as hell for the longest 2 miles I ever drove. There seems to be an abundance of points of interest for heavy trucks (even many off the beaten path but not all). I don't have any other Trucking GPS to compare it to but all in all I am glad I purchased this unit. Also, don't forget to buy a screen protector right away and maybe a windshield mount. The cheap screen protectors are junk you have to push so hard on the face to get the GPS to respond youd swear your finger is going to go through to back of the unit, and they scratch easier as well.
33 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2016
Biggest piece of crap ever! Had a Rand McNally before this. Will be going back to it. Always took the longest out of the way route no matter what setting I had it on. Makes my boyfriend not want to go on long hauls because he knows it will get him lost on the back roads of nowehere where semi trucks are not meant to be!
on January 1, 2014
I transferred saved locations from my previous Garmin non-truck gps (although the instructions and process was a little confusing at times, just stay with it) and updated the maps (took about 40 mins with a broadband connection). So far routing has been OK (but with the same mis-routes from the old Garmin), I have noticed a few changes since I input the truck dimensions and weight. I run mostly the same routes with occasional different destinations, so we'll see how that plays out.

I do like: Speed limit on current road displayed and warning when above that. Curvy roads and steep hill warnings. Split screen pops up when near route intersections directing to proper lane. I have the 5" screen which is nice, I've seen the 7" and it seems pretty big. Truck stops showing services, showers and food. Comes only with dashboard friction mount, but I reused suction cup windshield mount from the old one and it works ok. Power now plugs into and runs through the bracket so you can't reuse that.

Has HOS program, very similar to elec logs, trip data, traffic hints (not really reports). All in all a good value at a decent price for a truck gps. I like it so far
on February 13, 2014
We purchased this so we would no longer be taken on rabbit trails when pulling our 35' fifth wheel RV.(We had a Tom Tom previously, which we liked except for ending up in places where you shouldn't have a 50' rig.) It can be set up for truck driving (18 wheeler), RV, car or pedestrian. It allows you to define your type of RV. We've had it only a short time, but it seems to be what we were looking for in a GPS.

The map while traveling is much easier to read and follow than the Tom Tom, even if you have the Tom Tom set to a similar style screen. It is a bit difficult to search for a point of interest, such as a restaurant, in a city where you are not currently located, but we're adjusting to this. It is a bit cumbersome to make such a search, but that may ease as we become more familiar with the unit.

One complaint we have is the display which shows time of arrival, time, distance to destination and such. You are limited to what you can have displayed. With the Tom Tom, you can have all of the above as well as other useful items. With Garmin, you can select time to destination OR time of arrival, not both. While these things are easy to calculate, we are spoiled to seeing them as on the Tom Tom screen.

We tried the Rand McNally GPS, but returned it after a 500 mile trip. It was not easy to use or learn to use. The "non-glare" screen was almost impossible to see if the sun was shining anywhere in the vehicle. The Garmin is more intuitive than the Rand McNally in regard to the learning curve, but this may be due to being familiar with the Tom Tom. They are similar where the Rand McNally is not like any other GPS we've researched or owned.

We opted for the 5-inch rather than the 7-inch because the 7-inch Rand McNally we tried was too large our our F-250 dash. If you have an 18 wheeler or a motor home, the 7-inch might be preferred because you have much more dash area than on a pickup truck.
on July 3, 2014
This was bought to replace another older (and more expensive) Garmin 1690 that was lost and/or destroyed* when a passenger vehicle forced my father's 18 wheeler off the road and it slid on it's side 496 ft before coming to a full stop. This is Truck specific and he had voiced some complaints about the previous model because it had not been. While there are functional differences, operation is almost identical and seemed to prove no obstacle to him using this new device. Updates are a little long but install easily. The only complaint I've heard from him so far is the same as any other GPS he's ever used, and that's he doesn't always agree with the routing they choose. (The voice constantly updating you on your progression seriously irritates him, but that has nothing to do with the units function. He just simply finds it irritating...)

*The GPS was never found, unlike his Samsung Rugby III cell phone he had been wearing. Discovered over 100 ft away from the truck, reduced to a smashed and horribly scarred 3mm thick circuit board. Oddly, both power cable and mount for the 1690 were still inside the cab.
on July 19, 2013
This 560 dezl by Garmin is a HUGE improvement over the Rand MacNally 7710RVND its replacing but, still leaves some things to be desired.
Pros: Hardware starts up fast; quickly finds satellites, VERY good screen, good resolution & easy to see on a bright day; quickly responds to touch input
Cons: When I tried to access highway exit services, it said they hadn't been installed yet! When I first got the 560 dezl, I connected it to my MacBook Pro and logged in at Garmin. I was told it was up to date. Exit services ONLY work if you're on a limited access highway so, it will be awhile before I can check to see if I somehow got this important feature installed. It took multiple attempts to get the Garmin Connection Plug In installed on my Mac (Chrome Browser). I have no idea why this was so difficult (late 2011, 17" MBP, OS 10.8.4, 16GB RAM). RE; PROPANE. There was NO option to select propane, only "compressed gasses" in the HazMat tab. This is a CRITICAL flaw for RVers. On a few occasions, the 560dezl has routed me a mile or more out of my way. This makes me wonder how I'm being routed in areas I'm not familiar with (sadly, this is fairly common with most / all GPS units IMO). The default voice is much better that my old unit but some pronunciations could be better (I downloaded another voice to try). I'm not happy that the 560dezl MUST be in a cradle which is then snapped onto whatever mount you're going to use. It just seem like an extra part. There was no AC adapter; you use the included USB cable to charge via a USB port when not in a vehicle. There was only a beanbag mount, I had to find and buy a windshield mount on my own (the beanbag mount would slide forward out of reach in my Sprinter van). The box I received was missing the post that the cradle snaps onto and then slides into the beanbag. The seller, GPS Nation was VERY responsive and got one to me quickly. In summary, I bought the 560dezl to replace a terrible Rand MacNally 7710 (on which I wasted almost $400). I was gun shy to risk another $400 on a Garmin 760dezl so, I hedged and bought the 560dezl. This is the first Garmin GPS I've owned. Knowing what I now know, if I could go back, I'd take a chance and buy the 760dezl .
on June 20, 2012
I've been using one for the past couple of months now. I was able to directly compare it against a Cobra GPSM 5550. This Garmin Dezl model does well in most of the US. However in congested areas like New Jersey it can go on a very inefficient route and the route may not really be a good route for a truck. I see the warning on the GPS telling me than a chosen road may not be the best route recommended for a truck. It doesn't make sense. It's suppose to find the truck routes. Another complaint is the inaccurate ETA time for arrival. The estimated time of arrival could be off by almost 4-5 hours at times when the drive is over 2500 miles. Finally I realized that the miles calculated by the GPS is short by a few hundred miles. Even now when choosing Newark,NJ and my home town the mileage is short by 300 miles when compared to Google and this was confirmed by the actual measured milage. This shouldn't be happening at all in my opinion.
The good points with this GPS is that it can recalculate quicker than the Cobra when changing routes. It does avoid tolls routes when it is asked to do so. For me the menu system works quicker for me since I'm familiar with the Garmin way of doing things. As I mentioned earlier this unit does the job right for most of the US. It's just the crowded cities that it seems to have problems with.
I had debated giving it two stars but I may take away a star as I use this GPS more.

Nov3- I was able to acquire a Rand McNally TND 720 GPS and it seems like a blend of Cobra and Garmin. The TND 720 offers plenty of information that is quickly accessed, quick recalculations and at times better routing through crowded Eastern cities like Boston. The Garmin seems to be missing quite a few truck stops when going to the Points of Interest icon. The NTTS icon information seems to offer much more. Garmin should use only one icon and put the fuel stop icon first from the NTTS icon. Overall all the Garmin Dezl is decent. Its main issues for me are the missing truck stops, bad routing at times through crowded cities and the horribly inaccurate ETA. I know it can be done better.

March 14, 2013- Another problem with this unit. The memory in it can fill up when ever I'm trying out different routes to the same destination. It seems like the unit is saving the routes so it can recalculate quicker. But the problem is that I will end up with a message telling me that it can't calculate the route. Not good. I clear it out of memory by unplugging the unit and shutting it off for a minute to clear the memory. I would recommend that when you download and install system or map updates that you do a master reset. Do this by placing your thumb or finger on the lower right hand corner of the screen while turning on the unit. You will get a message asking if you want to erase all information. Click yes. Make sure you write down all the addresses for your saved favorites as they will be erased.

April 8,2013-WHAT HAPPENED? I have to knock this unit down to 1 star. Since I did a map update back a couple of months ago this DEZL 560 can send me off on a different route to avoid certain roads. The best example is when going East in I80 at about exit 257 in Nebraska.
It will route me around to avoid that part of I80 for several miles. When driving through that section of I80 the interstate is marked with crosses warning me that the route may not accommodate the weight of the vehicle. Not I have the same problem heading from North on I74 from Hebron, Kentucky. I've also had the same problem in the New England, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. I'm sorry that I didn't write the exact highway and exit number. Garmin needs to take of this as one side route in New Jersey took me off the interstate and through a neighborhood with a low bridge! The GPS is right most of the time but I've started to run into these areas where a bypass is being done and it might be like that one on I80 in Nebraska. To me either a employee who was driving the car around while mapping roads didn't pay attention to a setting or there is a disgruntled ex-employee. Garmin or the mapping company needs to spend the money correcting these errors. Tough if they complain about the tens of thousands of miles. Also it can at times take a terrible route to get to a truck stop. Might be due to the problem I mentioned about it wanting to avoid a truck restricted route.
I'll put some stars back on when I see the bad routing is corrected on these interstates.

April 26, 2013- Well I downloaded a software update today. I tested the routing by going through that I80 section I mentioned. I had the weight set at 10 tons and the route will turn off at exit 257 in NE and take a scenic route. I didn't take the time to test out different weights so I just set it back to 1 ton to avoid getting routed around that section. Oh well maybe next time.

Nov 25, 2013- The latest update seems to have fixed a couple of the re-routing directions that were incorrect. The one on I80 in Nebraska and another one going north from Hebron, KY are good now. There's another one going west on I95 in NJ I believe that I haven't tried yet. I'm curious as this one wants to divert the truck because the GPS thinks there is a low bridge on I95 and it wants to route me into town where it wanted to go under a low bridge. Garmin needs to find out why so many of the Loves truck stops are missing. I'll give it three stars for now.

March 22,2014- With the last update the problem on I80 going through Nebraska shows up again. Not good. I know this only because I kept on driving on I80 and I can see the hash marks on the road that delineates that part of the road as being unsuitable for trucks. Garmin needs to fix this. They need to get on the mapping company about this problem. I imagine there are other bad locations but many of them may not be found out since the GPS routes around bad sections. Another problem is that there are missing road sections in Dallas and St. Louis. Come on now these are large cities that should be regularly updated. No excuses. So it's back to a one star rating due to the lack of progress in correcting this problem.

Oct 17,2014- At some exits the name of the street is used instead of the exit number. It started doing this recently after a recent update.