Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 41 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 99 reviews
on January 13, 2017
Awkward controls. Screen adequate. Would not reliably connect with satellites, and took five or more minutes for each connection. Disappointed, would not recommend on any level.
on November 11, 2007
I love my eTrex. It works for everything. I use it for hiking, mountain biking and road biking. It will run on 2 AA batteries for a long time if you turn off the map and just run the "computer" (speed/distance) screen. I've used it on a week long bike tour and only changed batteries after about 4 days.
With the add in microSD card (mine is 1 gig) I'm able to load up almost the entire U.S. for maps.
Much better that the special Edge bike computers since this is much for versatile. But if you are just a biker and you only need about 6 hours of battery live the Edge 305 is a decent way to get GPS data from your rides. The eTrex however can get you directions and real maps which is much better than the Edge.
on August 23, 2007
For a road motorcycle driver, or anyone who must use it in his puckett, it's size is as great as it's reception, even with it's small screen you can always see and follow what you're looking for. I would recomend about the base for bicycles, not to use this for motorcycles cause it's vibrations turn it damaged as happened to my GPS before, a real good Legend, the blue one. I'd sugest to Garmin, if they didn't do it yet, to designe as I did for my bike, a paded stand for it in order that it absorves the motor's vibrations and keep the GPS working right, and in the fotos they show from customers, not to show the one with the GPS attached to a motorcycle's handle bar, it is only for bicycles use, without vibrations.
on July 2, 2007
Product worked fine and was relatively straightforward to setup. Features work as advertised although initial time required to lock onto satellites seems overly long. My primary issue is with the additional maps that are required - you need to buy both topographic and road maps [at about $100 a pop] if you plan to use offroad and on-road. Plus the topo maps are over 20 years out-of-date for my town making me wonder if they have any accuracy or relevancy at all. In retrospect, I wish I had looked more closely at the Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 as it comes bundled with map software that promises both up-to-date coverage of both topo and roads.
VINE VOICEon May 23, 2007
I purchased this GPS to replace a Garmin 12 whose memory battery had died (a crucial element that's not mentioned anywhere in their manuals). What an upgrade! Not only does the Vista GPS allow you to log waypoints and figure out where you are, but it does a few dozen other things as well. Like download maps (expensive) onto a memory chip, and store geocaching information, or even play games. It's fully waterproof, and the interface is designed so that you can use the unit one-handed. There are many accessories available so that you can mount your GPS in a car or on bicycle, or wear it on your belt.

The reception of the Vista is a lot better than we ever had with the Garmin 12. Standing still in deep woods? No problem--the Vista can still find the satellites. It has so many bells and whistles, however, that it took us a while, and quite a few consultations with the manual, to figure out how to use it. That big button that sticks out on front--it works like a game stick-shift. Sure wish someone had told us that before we fought with the device for half an hour trying to figure out how to scroll up and down all those menus. Basically, the Vista seems reliable and very powerful, although it requires a bit of learning at first because it has so many features. Best of all, it doesn't have that horrid memory battery whose failure killed our last unit.
on January 26, 2014
Put it in the shopping cart. Solid performance, easy to carry, decent battery life. The screen could be a bit bigger. I used it for hiking, camping and fishing and it did well in all those uses.
on April 12, 2007
This works excellent for geo-caching. With the built-in compass and excellent satellite reception, it almost feels like you're cheating. Street navigation is excellent with purchase of additional software. The altimeter works very well for tracking vertical profiles. Because in reality this is a precision barometer, it works best when the weather is steady. If you want to know the exact altitude above sea level, a topo map is still the best choice.

Here's why I only gave it a four-stars: If you plan to do street navigating, plan to spend another $100 or so on "city navigator North America". The software "trip and waypoint manager" included with the unit is sketchy and low detail. You also need to purchase larger micro flash memory.
on August 6, 2015
Great product! Garmin seems to be the leader in this market.
on March 13, 2015
Great GPS. Replaces an older version and I like the updated features.
on December 25, 2006
This unit is top notch. I'm not sure what they're trying to pull with the Venture model, as it's very stripped down for not much of a price difference. You get a USB cable included which you can connect the unit to your computer and transfer maps, way points, etc back and forth. It also includes a 64 meg mini sd card which isn't all that bad. I bought a 512MB card which i haven't even really needed. I put the 64 meg in the drawer and have just been using it. So far, I put the US top map for Yosemite on it and metro guide maps for Sacramento to Fresno and some of the surrounding areas and still haven't passed 64 megs yet. But, it's good to have the extra space.

One more note of advice, be sure to put the usb cable in snugly. You may think it's all the way in but it's not. There's a good bit of resistance the first few times you put it in. I had thought it was in all the way and it wasn't. The computer acted like it was in, but couldn't identify it and was throwing errors at me. After messing around with it I realized it wasn't in all the way.