Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Garnier Herbashine Haircolor, 200 Soft Black
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

Size: 1 application|Color: 200 Soft Black|Change
Price:$3.77 - $24.99

on June 27, 2014
I had a problem rating this product and here is why:
Born in Paris, I was introduced to Garnier hair care products at age 18. They were excellent but I used the coloring version only twice at that time. Then they disappeared from retailers. A couple of years ago, I started seeing the color version being sold in local US pharmacies so I was glad to use them again. I found the result very good for color and hair quality.
Then they disappeared from the shelves again. When I found them for sale on Amazon I bought a large number of packs. It never crossed my mind to study the ingredients in detail; it was an old and trusted product. Because I received an email this morning asking me to rate it, I decided to do the job properly by checking the ingredient list on Google. I was certain that it would be good. I stand corrected.
It is not as good as I believed.
There are two ingredients that I would prefer not to use again. I have listed them first at the top of the list with my own (negative) star rating. That explains to me now why this coloring shampoo is being phased out. What baffles me is why manufacturers are so stupidly greedy. These two ingredients can be substituted by others non-toxic and YES, costing more, but at individual pack level the increase in price would have been minimal. I worked in research all my life, I should know!
Another thing that I did not like was that, as per official reports, many of these ingredients were tested on animal models. I hate this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List of Ingredients:

***Resorcinol
Resorcinol s known to be a highly toxic skin irritant and is severely damaging to the immune system. It is also a frequent cause of hair dye allergy. Resorcinol is known to disrupt thyroid hormone synthesis and produce goitrogenic effects which can permanently damage the thyroid gland and lead to significant difficulties in regulating metabolism, boy weight, and temperature. The federal government regulates exposures to resorcinol in the workplace, but there are no regulations limiting amounts of resorcinol in hair products or cosmetics.
Resorcinol provides an inexpensive color coupler that oxidize with hydrogen peroxide to provide a permanent color effect. Many of the other non-toxic ingredients listed above can be used as a highly effect and very safe substitute for resorcinol in hair color, but are often not used because these non-toxic substitutes are generally much more expensive, difficult to procure and stabilize.
In Canada PPD is not authorized to be used in make-up but it is a common ingredient in capillary dyeings.

**Toluene-2.5-diamine m-aminophenol
Based on the low Margin of Safety using the conventional risk assessment approach,
toluene-2,5-diamine and its sulfate salt cannot be considered safe for use as an oxidative
hair dye with a concentration on-head of maximum 4.0% (calculated as free base) or 7.2%
Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety – CCS - OPINION ON PDF Document –

Hexadimethrinechloride
Function(s): Antistatic Agent - No information available used by Garnier - L'Oreal - Movida - Purology

Sodium metasilicate
Classified as irritant

Silica dimethyl silylate
The Cosmetics Database finds Silica Dimethyl Silylate to be 100% safe for use in cosmetics and beauty products

Polyquaternum-6
Health Concerns of the Ingredient: LOW concerns

p-aminophenol
Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful. Restricted in cosmetics (recommendations or requirements) - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions –

Carbomer
The Carbomers help to distribute or suspend an insoluble solid in a liquid. They are also used to keep emulsions from separating into their oil and liquid components. Carbomer has been assessed by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review and it concluded that Carbomer polymers were safe as ingredients in cosmetics and personal care products.

m-aminophenol
On the basis of the available animal and clinical data presented in this report it is concluded that p-, m-, and o-Aminophenols are safe as cosmetic ingredients in the present practices of use and concentrations.

Mica
is a naturally occurring group of silicate minerals. In cosmetics mica is used in the formulation of a wide variety of product types, including nail products and skin care products. Mica imparts a sparkly white appearance to cosmetics. The levels of heavy metals in Mica are regulated by the FDA, and the small amounts that may eventually be in cosmetic or personal care products do not pose a risk to human health.

2-methyl-5-hydroxy-ethylaminophenol
The SCCP is of the opinion that the use of 2-methyl-5-hydroxyethylaminophenol itself as an
oxidative hair dye at a maximum concentration of 1.5 % in the finished cosmetic product (after
mixing with hydrogen peroxide) does not pose a risk to the health of the consumer.
2-methylresorcinol: Determined safe for use in cosmetics, subject to concentration or use limitations – Classified as not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful
Titanium dioxide: is the most widely used white pigment because of its brightness and very high refractive index, (add shine)
Chlorhexidine: is a synthetic preservative and antiseptic. Health Concerns of the Ingredient: Low
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
33 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2010
HerbaShine number 700 Dark Natural Blonde is an excellent replacement for Garnier Nutrisse Dark Natural Blonde number 70. This particular shade of HerbaShine has a very similar colour and slightly cheaper price. In my experience HerbaShine is clearly superior in many ways to the Nutrisse shade.

PROS:

* HerbaShine contains no ammonia with no choking, eye watering clouds of chemical vapor. My scalp did not turn red or feel irritated.
* The product has a very pleasant smell and is much improved over the Nutrisse line.
* The colour is fantastically vibrant with remarkable shine and vitality that beats Nutrisse hands down.
* Treatment time is stated to be 10 minutes. 5 more minutes were added for tint application on 'hard to cover' grey areas.
* Grey coverage was 100% (even hard to treat areas at temples and crown).
* After tint application and blow drying, texture of hair was shiny and manageable with no dryness.

CONS:

* The manufacturer states that the colour will last through 28 washings. After 21 days the vibrancy and depth of the shade was beginning to ebb. The colour was reduced on areas of grey hair. Your results may differ, especially if you have no grey hair. On areas of my hair that have no grey hair, the colour was still quite good after the full 28 days of washing.

NOTE:

* I applied some of the product to my crown and temples first, as they are the greyest and left the mixture on for 5 minutes. Then I applied more product to under parts of my hair that needed touchup and left the mixture on for an additional 5 minutes. Finally, after the initial 10 minute interval, I applied the product to the rest of my hair for another 5 minutes. The whole application process was a total of 15 minutes. If your hair does not have as much resistant grey hair, a total of 10 minutes may suffice.

TO SUM UP:

* HerbaShine number 700 Dark Natural Blonde was very easy to apply, had no disagreeable odour, and tinted my hair in a very true and natural looking shade. I'm very impressed with the chemists at Garnier.
on July 15, 2012
This is the first hair dye I've ever used and I have to say I'm impressed. I've been leery of coloring my hair with permanent dyes because of the damage they cause, and I was afraid I wouldn't like the results. But I found this and figured I'd try it because if I didn't like it, it would wash out in a month anyway. And no damage to hair structure. The color is great and after a few shampoos, natural highlights are visible, so it looks natural. And my hair was super soft and shiny. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone.
review image
on December 15, 2010
Love, love LOVE! Herbashine is fantastic. My hair was so damaged and ridiculous and I've been trying to grow it healthy, which means going back to my natural color. I tried this because of the commercials and let me tell you- not only does it make your hair HEALTHIER LOOKING AND SOFT, but the color also lasts and lasts. I colored my hair in Early August and didn't notice it fading until late October. Even then, it was barely noticeable. I used the same color again, which matches my natural hair color PERFECTLY, and I just love it. I can't say enough good things about it. No more split ends, no more crazy breakage, just beautiful, healthy-looking color! :)
If you are skeptical, you have got to give this a try- you won't regret it! It won't damage your hair, so you have nothing to lose!
on August 14, 2012
I am writing only because I saw the previous review.
For me the color of my hair after coloring depends on the time I apply this haircolor to my hair, and becomes lighter after 3-4 washes.
The best for me is to apply it for about 10 min. The color I am getting is darker than my natural one but I like it. If I keep it for 20min, than I blame myself because my hair comes out quite dark and not natural.
I wash my hair every other day and apply this haircolor every 30-40 days.
on January 17, 2013
So much gentler on my hair than permanent color! Covers gray perfectly and the color lasts a long time. I highly recommend this product.
on April 18, 2014
Garnier - BRING THIS BACK!!!!
Ugh, this color has been discontinued. In fact, the whole line has been. But WHY?? This formula tames my crazy curly hair and the color is GORGEOUS. Perfect gray coverage without any funky weird pinkness. I adore this color. But now I have to buy it online, as many as I can find before they're all gone.
When they discontinued it and I could no longer find it in the store, I had salon color put on - $80!!! Ridiculous. And my hair was extremely dry and multi-colored afterward because it couldn't handle gray coverage. I went back online, ordered four boxes of this, put one on, and....voila! Back to gorgeous, rich, dark plum hair. You would never know there's any gray under there.
PLEASE BRING THIS FORMULA AND COLOR BACK!!!
on November 26, 2012
I have long straight hair that had highlights until about 7 months ago. Highlights on long straight hair is a constant maintenance issue and since I travel a lot, I got tired of seeing the regrowth and spending hours not to mention the money to keep up the look. I decided to try a demi/semi permanent color and after a few tries, which left me disappointed, I researched different products and tried Garnier Herbashine. About the product itself: I asked a friend to help me given the length of my hair. One box was enough for me (my hair is almost to my waist). It is easy to apply - I used the bowl and brush method as suggested by a hairdresser. My hair was shiny and healthy looking immediately, the old highlights blended in the new color, the color washed away gradually and very pleasantly, after about 20 shampoos, the color is still good, the hair still shiny and I am still happy with it. Now about the color: I used 700, Dark Natural Blonde, since from the box it looked like it would be my perfect match. It was too dark, not an unpleasant brown, but the darkest brown I ever had my hair. I already bought a lighter shade for next time, as I love the product but I need to find the best shade for me. So my suggestion is to go at least one shade lighter than what the box shows. Better yet, buy 2 or 3, do a strand test and you will love the results.
on February 4, 2012
I have dirty-blonde hair naturally with blonde highlights. Initially I was nervous to use this dye because my hair had been previously colored, but the color came out amazing. It looked just like on the swatch on the back of the box. Even with my highlights my hair came out dyed very evenly. The color is a deep, rich red and in the sun there are copper highlights. It looks very natural. I was worried when I was applying the dye as it seemed extremely dark and it was purple at first, but it came out awesome. I'm considering going permanently red after this washes out and I'm so glad I didn't have to worry about committing to the color, in case it didn't come out as expected.
on September 12, 2012
I needed to change the brand I used because it made my hair too dry and brassy. I decided to go with this, ammonia free, product because the ingredients looked less drying. I absolutely love this product. I don't know what it is, maybe the bamboo extract, but my hair is not dry, healthy looking, and shiny and silky. My hair feels so much different that it doesn't feel like mine. I would highly recommend this product to others having problems with dry hair. Color is as stated too.