Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 20 reviews
on September 2, 2011
I've been looking on the internet for a good priced laptop, somewhere between 500 and 700 dollars. Some of the requirements I had for a laptop was a 15"+ screen (this is 17"), needed quad core, atleast 4 gb ram, and PC (Never was, never will be an Apple fan, don't feel like emptying my wallet for aesthetics and same if not worse specs). It was shipped overnight for 3.99 Prime and the grandtotal for my laptop was 517 (I must have bought the last one from amazon directly, lucky me.) The picture can be misleasing on the back cover that it has a pattern that appears finger print proof, wrong, its glossy and does attract finger prints. The inside keys are very similar to a mac with the seperate square keys, which I adapted to and find no problem with. The webcam is alright, nothing special. It is capable of upgrading to 8 gb DDR3 RAM, I found a great price at 34 dollars for 2x4gb, although 4 is sufficient for most cases, it's nice to know you have more if needed.

I read about this Gateway with the new AMD A8 processor. What AMD did was allowed those who want to game sacrifice some CPU workload in exchange for graphics or GPU. Despite it being an integrated graphics unit, I was amazed how it performed compared to previous integrated laptops I've seen. This is possible because of the all in one APU (Accelerated Processor Unit). Pretty much AMD made a huge step forward to sell me when they focused on the 3D rendering, 1080p HD videos, and gaming, I don't care about running 7 different apps at once, that's where an Intel i5 or i7 would easily outmatch this AMD, but coming from a gaming perspective, this will please any gamer who doesn't expect to run every single game on max. I plan on building a gaming desktop for that reason. I am aware you can get dedicated graphic cards also, but your paying extra, thats the whole point of this review, to give you my perspective of how I am enjoying the new APU technology. It makes the processing very efficient, resulting in longer battery life and longer play time, but I play plugged into the wall when possible anyways. This laptop is a great alternative for people who aren't always near their powerful gaming desktop or want something more portable to take with them and still have a great gaming experience.
on October 7, 2011
Anyone who wants a powerful laptop on a small to medium budget should look no further than this laptop. The AMD A8-3500 APU is very speedy for everyday tasks and the built-in Radeon 6620g graphics are fast. Handles Portal 2 at 1600x900 (native LCD resolution) with all the bells and whistles turned on without breaking a sweat. The chiklet keyboard is very nice compared to many lower priced/quality laptops I've tried. The screen looks great. The 1600x900 resolution is a good compromise between the standard 1366x768 and the extremely small 1920x1080.

I only have one gripe with this laptop, and it's not even very fair to gripe about it. If you've researched this laptop enough you'll know that it has a 2nd sata connector that could be used for a 2nd hard drive. There's one problem with this second connector though, the bottom cover that lets you in to change the hard drive and memory has plastic structure pieces that take up the space that would be necessary to let the cover close with a drive in that slot. To get a drive in there and close the cover you would have to take a knife and shave off all of the plastic that's in the way. I imagine that would probably void the warranty.

Pros:

- fast processor (quad core)
- fast graphics (Radeon 6620g)
- doesn't get very hot
- looks nice, texture of keys and palm rest area are nice

Cons:

- Large. This may or may not be a con, more of a preference
- AMD isn't releasing video drivers directly for the A series processors. Have to use gateways or modified drivers
- 2nd hard drive bay not really accessible

I highly recommend this laptop. You can't do much better as far as performance goes without jumping into the $1000+ price range.
on October 18, 2011
For my needs, in a single word----perfect. I do a lot of writing, play a few DVDs, and even do a fair amount of home recording through this computer. This computer is plenty fast enough for all this, has all the storage capacity I need for projects (though I still use an external drive for archiving), and I can even use Adobe Photoshop CS5 to it's full extent, as well as Vegas Pro for some moderate heavy video editing. I've seen where this computer could be used for entry level gaming, but I can't comment on that since I don't game. With some upgrades such as static drives and max out the RAM, I'd imagine one would be able use this computer for mid-level, or even some upper level gaming. Having said that, I also think the bottleneck will occur in the video card since it has less than a full gig of on-board video RAM, and the stock hard drive spins at only 5400rpm. Nevertheless, I feel this computer is a very good choice as a desktop replacement capable of wearing many hats in most any application. I find the keyboard layout to be comfortable and responsive. I don't use the onboard touch sensative mouse opting for a trackball mouse, but I will agree with others in saying the touchpad is not the best, however usable, but again I don't use this and disable it altogether. The only real complaint I do have is the place of the USB inputs. They are toward the front of the computer and seem to get in my way with something plugged in, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. This is my 3rd Gateway laptop computer. The previous two are still running and performing well and without issue. It was just time to upgrade, and just when I get ready to go with another brand, Gateway seems to come out with a model that keeps me coming back. For the price, this is an excellent value considering all that it is capable of handling. Great Amazon shipping and customer service.
on November 13, 2011
This is the fourth Gateway laptop I've puchased this calendar year--one for me, one for my wife, one for my college-age son, and now, this one, for my 26 year old son. They have been solid and reliable, attractive, and well-made. This one features a huge hi-def screen, great for movies. The processor is a delight--actually better than the i3 in my personal laptop. The 640 GB hard-drive spools quickly and will take a long time to fill. The sound card is an unexpected plus--way better than the standard sound card. The keyboard is attractive but prone to finger errors until one becomes accustomed to the chiclet-style keys. Battery life is average--about three hours on "normal". For years I ignored Gateway computers but now I'm a convert!
on May 5, 2015
Very cool looking and fast, but about a year after i bought it the hard drive crashed, and had to be replaced, I did reload it and work great again. but i no longer have access to my free Microsoft word app. very worth the price. i might add another drive on to it.
on July 9, 2014
Excellent pc, i have had absolutely no issues with this whatsoever. Its not very heavy for a laptop of this size, the screen is excellent and its fast. The second hard drive bay comes in very very handy, but you have to buy the brackets separately.

This is an excellent laptop and I would recommend it to anyone.
on November 14, 2011
If you looking for a ideal Notebook that allow's you to play Online this is the cookie-cutter deal.
i play World of warcraft and i can play @ Ultra Details without any problems. im loving my Gateway,
i did the upgrade to max RAM and changed the harddrive to a 7200rpm for extra power.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2012
I didn't think we could get such a beautiful 17 plus inch screen laptop for $599 but we did.

Upon opening you can see how sleek and elegant this Gateway is (I have always loved Gateways) and it was so easy to set up. It connected to wireless and I had to only input our network password and we were online. I downloaded all the programs we like to use Firefox, CCleaner, Microsoft Security Essentials and got rid of Norton security which I don't like at all.

Also loaded all the "Find the Hidden Pics" games that my husband loves to play and the graphics and video is amazing. Even the sound is not bad for a laptop and when used with earbuds was actually excellent stereo.

It starts up quickly and because the vent is on the side, doesn't seem to get as hot as our old laptop. If I didn't already have an old laptop and a desktop, I'd get another one for myself.

My only con is that you have to push the DVD drive door exactly on spot or it doesn't open but once I got used to the location, I had no problem.

I highly recommend this product!
on February 14, 2013
This computer is very fragile and we hate it. We are on our second one because the first one's screen broke in two weeks. My wife and I had no idea how it happened so we chalked it up to maybe the dog knocking it off the couch. It was still under warranty so we got a quick exchange thanks to Amazon. 1 week after that 30day warranty expired the screen broke again! I called gateway and they said the screen was not covered and i had to send it out to be replaced for $200. We also feel it's slow even with high-speed internet connection through Comcast. The battery life sucks too.

Bottom line we will not buy this computer again and definitely stick with a 15" in the future.
on October 16, 2011
Two things I have not liked about this laptop are, the lettering on the keys is too thin, which makes it very difficult to see the keys in reduced lighting. And, unfortunately it is a glossy cover which collects dust, but is a reminder to dust regularly. Other than those this is a great laptop.

Gaateway NV75S02u 17.3 inch laptop black.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.