|Processor||3 GHz Intel Core i5|
|RAM||8 GB DDR3|
|Hard Drive||1 TB|
|Graphics Coprocessor||Intel HD Graphics 2000|
Gateway i5-2320 3 GHz Desktop - DX4860-UB33P
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Customers Also Shopped For
Top Customer Reviews
Over two years later, and my Gateway DX4860-UB33P is still a quite competent machine for virtually any task I have put to it. I have not upgraded the GFX, but occasional slowness in Minecraft on high settings has tempted me to do so. The keyboard went kaput after a few months, but no real issue with that popcorn. The box itself has been a joy. This computer is an argument for patiently waiting for and seeking out long term computing tech produced with a workhorse ethic. Kudos to Gateway; please keep this up.
All in all, still a worthy computer.
Original Post: 20120620
Tech analysis is geared toward those who have it all and want more. If it's not bleeding edge, it gets bypassed. Well, if you are like me, a person of modest means looking for a computer for the long haul that delivers decent quality performance without ransacking the budget, this is the machine for you. The Gateway DX4860-UB33P has a well earned reputation for stability and efficiency, having earned an editor's choice from PC Magazine for October of 2011. So far, since I bought one three weeks ago, it has met and exceeded my expectations.
Looking under the hood, here's what I like:
i5-2320 quad core CPU - Ok, it's not i7. But if you dig around online, plenty of geeks warn off that level of multithreading as inefficient anyway. If you aren't doing proteomics modelling, it will do us just fine for several years. An H67 chipset may not be geek pr0n, but it's no slouch on throughput. A 5MB cache opens up some speed bottlenecks; coming from an antique Celeron laptop, I'm thrilled.
1TB 5400rpm HD - Enough for gobs of games and movies. I partitioned it in half for Linux Mint 13 MATE, yet still enough for Win 7 to be happy in bloatland.Read more ›
Things I Liked
(1) i5 processor is very fast and the 1T HD has plenty of capacity, 8 GB of DDR3 1333 MHZ memory, all you need to start
(2) Oodles of USB ports, including two USB 3.0 ports, great for backing up to a USB HD
(3) All kinds of card slots for all kinds of camera and MP3 player cards
(4) Comes loaded with Win 7 Home edition
(5) Intel graphics are adequate for most purposes, negating the need for a separate video card
(6) Very quiet and runs cool
(7) Great value at $425, a refurb but looked like new when I received
(8) I'm a computer fabricator, but could not assemble a system as cheaply as I could buy this one
Things I did not like:
(1) Not crazy about the USB keyboard and mouse, I purchased a Microsoft 3000 wireless keyboard and mouse, freeing up cable space. I HATE, HATE, HATE cable snarls
(2) Not crazy about DVD side release, kind of clunky, but works
(3) Disappointing that a decent on line manual or motherboard CD is not provided. You really don't know what is under the hood until you take off a side cover.
In summary, a great value for the dollar. Quick delivery and Amazon service is reassuring.
Don't be afraid to pick up one of these if you get a chance and are in the market
Hard drive is pretty large storage wise, I've had this for two or so years, and it's currently only about 1/3 full.
RAM isn't bad by any standard, 8gb stock, with a cap of 16gb. Not bad for an office computer.
Power supply is pretty nice, runs just fine.
The unit in and of itself is pretty quiet, you could convince someone it was in the other room.
Graphics card is pretty bad.
That's about all, if there was a 4.5, I'd have it there.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This Gateway (DX4860) is the best Gateway I've ever had. It performs flawlessly for me.Published 19 months ago by Donald S. Goodell
I have had this for over two years now. The basic system is the same. Mother board, Memory and CPU. I have change out to a 900w power supply. Add 120 SSD, 2.TB HD. Read morePublished 19 months ago by William Fahsholtz
The computer was dead on arrival. When you buy directly from the manufacturer there is a better chance they will be in working order when you receive them. Read morePublished on September 16, 2013 by Lola
I have this exact model of Gateway computer. I've had to replace it 3 times since I bought it in July 2012. The first time it was replaced it was done at Best Buy. Read morePublished on May 23, 2013 by Marie
This desktop met my expectations for a fast and ,so far, dependable computer. I didn't need to add memory or anything else. Thanks folks.Published on March 18, 2013 by Ross S. Uhlfelder
This Gateway desktop is an awesome machine. Upgraded the ram to 16 GB and this machine is just totally fast.Published on December 8, 2012 by bearzfan01