Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on May 14, 2011
I love the short and concise essay format. Womack's observations are wise and kind. However, as new to Lean the book is really frustrating. Although it is beginner-like in comprehensively covering Lean concepts with examples, the frequent use of Lean gargon like "do an A3" shows that it is written for the seasoned practioner. The gargon derails me. Note that I read the Kindle version on the train. If I was reading it with Internet access I could google the terms and my experience wouldn't be so bad. My fervent wish is for someone to write a Lean for Dummies (whoops - I see that one already exists). So change my fervent wish to an easily found link on Womack's site Lean.org "DIY Learners Guide to Learning Lean" (i.e. I don't want to pay big bucks to attend his seminars). Thank you.
on November 1, 2013
Gemba Walks is ostensibly about lean -- where the lean movement has been, where the lean movement stands today, and where the lean movement might go in the future. Womack makes Toyota the pacesetter point of reference in this thread.

More important than the historical context, however, is the thread of the joy of inquiry -- observation, discovery, making meaning, and experimenting -- that runs through the articles that comprise the book. It's this thread that makes Gemba Walks worth reading as one might consume a good detective novel in an evening. Good stuff. Good stuff.

Doug
on May 14, 2013
Some useful/interesting concepts are explained in this book, in more details than in his (and Dan Jones') other books.
It is also more personal. It gives us a better idea of what his institute does, what real-world experience he has gotten along the way, and what has impacted the "lean movement" (successes and failures of Toyota, Nummi, Dephi, etc.).
I'd say, read this if you have read other books about lean and if you are curious in nature.
on July 27, 2011
If you buy any Lean manufacturing or process improvement book this year, it should be this one, or at least buy it before others on Lean. An easy read, easy to understand, well thought out, clear explanations, and contains years of (full-length) essays in one volume.
This book could have been called, "The Wisdom of Gemba Lean", by one of the wisest writers on Lean.
This book has exceeded _all_ my expectations, and without reservation, I recommended my manager buy a copy for each of his direct reports. He agreed with that opinion on the spot.
on June 21, 2016
Excellent book. I always keep it handy and always get something out of even a few minutes reading.
on November 15, 2013
A lot of info. Can't wait to dig deeper. One colleague said, where's the pictures? I thought lean was about visual management in GEMBA?
on December 8, 2013
A series of journals through the author's journey about the lean community. I started this book as a requirement for my class but actually found it enjoyable. It is am easy read for readers as well.
on February 6, 2016
Great!
on May 25, 2012
Can't tell you enough how excited this makes me as a new CI Manager starting out at a company that needs some serious work. Very inspirational and helpful in getting us started on the right foot.
on July 12, 2014
This book teach all manager the right way to see business process problem.