Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 24, 2014
I don't even know how I found this book, but it sounded interesting. The writing is actually very good, it's the main character who is so vile she makes the book unenjoyable. There is usually a redeeming quality in a main character but not in this case. I found her portrayal to be offensive to women everywhere (although there are possibly women this horrible somewhere out in the world, I have the good fortune not to have met them). The author must really not like women in general or must have dealt with some really heinous female somewhere to have imagined a character like this. Not only is she extremely unlikeable, she never receives her "comeuppance" which is what you usually hope will happen to someone this awful. There's even one part of the book that is so gross, I gag whenever I think about it. I took it off my Kindle, because not only would I never want to read it again, I wouldn't want anyone else to see it on there and think I was recommending it.
2 people found this helpful
on August 27, 2009
GEMINI TIGER is a very well-written cerebral novel - 'cerebral' not being the usual adjective I'd use to describe a book. Allow me to elaborate a little: the prose is witty (and caustic at times) and buzzes with a whole "air sign" vibe (if you're into astrology, you'd know what I mean; if you aren't, it simply means that the text/writing style is highly intellectually stimulating!).

Cress is a smart has-got-it-all-together-type (at least on the surface) 23-year-old who refuses to let the not-so-very-fine things in life get her down. The following lines (from the book) sum up the protagonist: "Cress was smart. She was a fighter. But she needed time, and had none."

I've read several chick lit bestseller novels before which did very little for me - this book, in comparison, features a lovely usage of the English language. It truly showcases the author's flair for writing, which I'd say is the strongest point of the novel. One of my favorite paragraphs (which really paints the picture, I thought!):

---

Cress's old bedroom hadn't changed since her sophomore year of high school. A Justin Timberlake poster still hung on the closet door and Cress's rosary beads still hung from the knob...Cress still slept on Hello Kitty sheets and still wrote notes to herself on Hello Kitty stationery, using Hello Kitty colored pencils, by the light of a Hello Kitty desk lamp, sitting on a little chair at the little desk which also served as a vanity. She kept a dog-eared copy of Gone With the Wind near her pillow. She'd been reading it for ten years and still hadn't finished it.

---

So if you're tired of trashy romance novels/staples, and/or are looking for a very clever and different/unique take on "a/the chick-lit novel", look no further than this sexy, uproarious, and lively book by Mr. Tommy Jonq.

--Jess C Scott, Author of EyeLeash: A Blog Novel
One person found this helpful
on July 31, 2008
I ordered this book on a whim and was expecting an amusing story to read while doing my laundry. What I got instead was a completely new sort of writing that I couldn't put down. Not because it's a nailbiting thriller, but because the characters are unforgettable and the snappy lines get better and better. This is a book for people who love sharp observations and hilariously flawed people. Psychologically, the book is both fair and unforgiving, and while it feels like there isn't a shred of extraneous detail, or unimportant conversation, the characters still come off with the unscripted awkwardness of a Nick and Jessica episode. I can't really think of any good comparisons. It's totally unique and very sharply polished.
3 people found this helpful
on September 2, 2008
This is definitely a "beach weekend" book - if you don't have time to read it from cover to cover, don't start! I was so intrigued from the first word to the last, that I could hardly find time to do anything but read! Cress is one of those girls you just can't believe is real, but if you look around, you see her every day, in every walk of life. Her family is hilarious, but real, and the rest of the characters just add to the mix of fun and intrigue! Situations that we've all found ourselves in one time or another, and never want to admit to, abound in this outstanding book! The dialogue is fresh and crisp, and you're never disappointed in the outcome. I found myself begging for more of the story - and I hope that Tommy Jong is going to deliver!

He's a talented, creative writer with an eye for the discerning. He creates characters that you love to hate, and hate to love. He brings the situation right to your front door, and he is extremely familiar with the towns and situations that he describes. Clear, crisp, evocative are words that best describe this fine book! You're money won't be wasted - and you'll have a heck of a good time living vicariously through Cress and her friends.
3 people found this helpful
on August 2, 2008
When Tommy Jonq introduced Cress, she was so down to earth, you knew or have known someone in your life like Cress, this is absolutely a book you won't want to put down once you start. I'm hoping to see more of Cress in upcoming books. He is a brilliant talented writer, I am hoping to see more books from Tommy Jonq. This book has it all fascinating characters, solid plot, great pacing, it is a must have book from this up and coming writer. I believe Tommy Jonq will soon become a household name.
2 people found this helpful