Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45 reviews
on June 4, 2016
OK, first of all: many of the negative reviews here can be summed up as "I did not read the description carefully and thus I'm mad that the DVDs have only 5.1 audio and no video". It's clearly written on the physical package and in all online descriptions exactly what this box contains, so while I agree that combining the "Video Box" they also came out with, with this one, would have been an amazing value, it is what it is. So, I'll review the actual package rather than wishing that the band, who can put out whatever they want as it's their body of work, not mine, did it this way.

I own the 1970-75 and 1976-82 box sets, as well as the individual "Invisible Touch" remix set. While the Gabriel era box is pretty fantastic, it is a bit too compressed and there are problems with the remix (bits of vocal that are different from the original, and an awful, weak ending to "Supper's Ready" that really ruins the climax). The '76-82 set is worse, as the compression is really noticeable and some CDs sound too shrill. On the new wavey "Abacab", this actually works, as the slamming drums and nasty keys sound good juiced--but not so much on, say, "One for the Vine". Overall, I dig the remixes for the new insights and clarity, but I do feel Nick Davis went overboard on the loudness, sadly.

Not so here on the Live Box! Davis and the band must have taken the criticisms to heart, because the Live albums are not nearly so juiced, and are eminently "crankable". I think that overall they sound great. I'm focusing on stereo, as I have not spent time with the 5.1 mixes yet, and don't really care about that so much (of course, many do, and I'll let them discuss!). Genesis Live (1973) is a revelation. This is my favorite Genesis album of the early era, because of the gritty and exciting live sound. It always sounded good to me but here it is cleaned up and you can hear parts you never could pick out before. My only gripe (a constant one in all the remixes) is that Hackett is lower in the mix, consistently. Man, if I were Steve I'd be pretty pissed at that revisionist history. Still, it's not egregious, and overall the record sounds great--especially Rutherford's Rickenbacker bass, which finally is distinguishable. The "bonus" tracks, from the L.A. Shrine "Lamb" show in '75, previously appeared on the Archive box. They are fine, but really make little sense here. The version of "Supper's Ready" that was on the Dutch "test pressing" of Live back in '73 (you can find it online) really should have been included instead. This is one of the few things on the box where I really do say, "dumb move guys", but I see that they felt including that piece on the Rainbow show was enough (it's not--we must have it all! :)

Live at the Rainbow (1973) is just fantastic, even though the 2000's era Gabriel vocal overdubs on a few tunes are really jarring (this was discussed a long time ago when the Archive box came out--5 tunes appeared on that-- so I won't go into it here). What a great show, and there are extra tunes on the DVD that won't fit on the CD, so you can hear the whole show. No complaints.

Seconds Out (1977) finally has some real low end and power. I like the record but always thought it was a bit subdued both in performance and in sonics, compared to some other 76/77 shows out there on bootleg (look for the 77 Zurich show, an amazing performance that sounds excellent too). I still think it's a bit subdued in the playing, but the sound is now rich and powerful and the bass and drum mix especially is much improved.

Three Sides Live (1982) was a big album for me, as it came out when I was 12 and really getting into the band. It always sounded thin. Not so any more, thank goodness! It really rocks for the first time now. The guitars are now audible, even the rhythm work, and I noticed that some of Tony's keys (like the nasty saw wave in "Abacab") seem to have been recorded in stereo, and now are actually spread over the channels. It is very cool to listen to in headphones. Also a great job on the drums. Chester is now more centered (snare in the middle, toms and cymbals spread out to the sides) most of the time, and when Phil joins in on drums, he is in the right channel and Chester moves over to the left. As a drummer, I was initially disappointed in "Turn it On Again"---when Phil joins in, his snare is clearly audible but Chester's seems turned down. However, in "Abacab"'s jam section, BOTH snares are nice and loud to accentuate the slamming beat. I realized that Davis was actually mixing each song differently to suit the music. It's a detail, I know, but it really adds to the experience. The drums in "Abacab" alone are worth the price of the set to me, just nirvana.

I never owned The Way We Walk (1992), as I was not really into the later albums, so I can't really comment on the difference in the mix. Some have complained about drums but I think they sound great here. I actually am really enjoying this record, as it not only sounds great, but is causing me to re-evaluate late Genesis. Tunes like "Driving the Last Spike" are really like a mix of their pop and prog periods and I think they work great, at least on this live album. I was also surprised to see they did a 20 minute "old prog tune" medley, which is great. The resequencing of the "Long" and "Short" tunes into one double album (with a few bonus tracks) makes a lot more sense and it flows like a great show. To me, it's a cool thing to finally have.

Yeah, it's pricey. Yeah, it's not got everything a "super fan" might ask for. But you don't have to buy it! For those who can afford it and want the new insight these remixes can give, it's highly recommended. (For what it is worth, I bought this just now, in spring of 2016, and there were no glitches on the "Seconds Out" CDs, so Rhino seems to have fixed it by now).
on January 26, 2013
I just received this in the mail a few days ago. I'll try and be brief and give a short list of pros and cons, IMO.

Pros:

- Having the 1973 Rainbow concert, especially in 5.1 is amazing. There's never really been a great live Peter-era album, and this is tremendous to have. Energy, humor, and great sound.

- Seconds Out sounds terrific. I never had a problem with this album, but it sounds even more clear and more "live" somehow. It feels like the older versions had you sitting in the nosebleeds, and now you're in row 10. Very well done

- All the stereo copies of the albums sound MUCH better than the stereo versions of the 1976-1982 especially. That set contains some of my favorite Genesis records, but they really killed those stereo mixes with a ton of compression. In these, sure there is probably some, but the music is still very dynamic.

- Having a cleaned up Genesis Live is awesome. I remember an old friend playing me this record on vinyl in the 8th grade, and it was so murky sounding to me that I just couldn't get into it. Now I can.

Cons:

- I understand, in a way, the decision not to include the 5.1 mixes of Three Sides Live and The Way We Walk, but I'm still a little irked by it. I have no intention of ordering The Movie Box, because 1981 is just about the time in the band's history where I become much less interested. I really love all the 5.1 mixes, so I'm bothered that I can't get those last two live albums on DVD here.

- I'm not really sure how bad Peter's vocals on parts of Supper's Ready on the 73 Rainbow Show must have been, but to replace them with mid 90s gruff Peter Gabriel is a) apparent and b) hilarious. There isn't much that old Peter had to overdub, but when it's there, it's silly sounding to me. Just let the thing be a historical document, warts and all. A small issue, but it distracted me for a bit and made the whole live album experience a little less authentic.

- Also, even though there is a space for the 2007 When In Rome CD, I have no interest in that item. I saw that tour and I'm not interested in hearing all my favorite songs tuned down a minor third again.

That's about it. The mixes are great, and those albums presented in 5.1 (the first 3, and the most important IMO) sound killer. Sure, there are no extras/videos/interviews like on the studio album sets, but that wasn't make or break for me. Recommended very much for big fans and collectors.
on December 18, 2016
This review ties in with the movie box.
This set is great. The problem is, we got screwed by not getting a 5.1 mix of three sides live ... I don't care much about way we walk, although it is good.
If the movie box had a complete, unruined three sides I could almost accept the decision here. But the movie is butchered, see other review.
I still can't understand the reasoning, unless it was purely dangling the carrot for profit. They would know most of us had at least one of the already available movies, so they needed a draw card. Starve us here, pretending we could satisfy our hunger with the scraps there.
Disappointed after the sensational first three boxes.
on December 21, 2011
Other reviewers have already gone over intricate details of this box set, so I will spare you a lengthy review. I was mainly interested in the Seonds Out remix. The other albums sound ok; not much improvement over the previous mixes. Now on to Seconds Out:

This remix sounds almost like a completely different album! The vocals and drums have been greatly enhanced, but the keyboards have been diminished in some places. When I listened to this version of Squonk, I was blown away! I always thought Seconds Out had sounded like the most studio of any live album I ever heard. This mix gives more of a live feel to the album. The ARP pro soloist synth sounds more like it should (i.e. a little more raw). I did not encounter the track problems that other people had. Perhaps they fixed them; I wouldn't know since I ripped them to my ipod at 320 mps AAC. I will still keep my old versions because they have their charm too.

Unless you're a die-hard Genesis fan, I would not recommend paying this high price for this box set.
on June 8, 2010
Let's get this out of the way- yes, the bonus materials (interviews, etc) are non-existent. Given the amount of stuff we got with the previous box sets and the price point we should have gotten more instead of being "forced" to get the video box set. It also would have been nice to have gotten something, anything, from the short-lived Calling All Stations tour.

That said, What we do have is another excellent re-mixing and remastering job by Nick Davis, who's obviously taken a great deal of care over the past couple years to make the entire catalog shine. The bonus live show from the Selling England By The Pound era is especially good and almost makes up for the lack of other bonus material. The only thing taking away from the disc is it sounds like Peter Gabriel re-recorded some vocals like on the Archive Volume 1 set. There's a big difference in his voice between then and now and it's noticeable enough to take you out of the moment.

Bottom line- not a must buy for everyone but essential for fans.
on December 19, 2009
The Genesis Live box gives a great overview of the live history of Genesis. Genesis Live and Seconds Out, both here in 5.1, really benefit from the new remix. Genesis Live has some bonus tracks from 1975, which is a nice add. Three Sides Live doesn't differ a whole lot from the original issue, but no 5.1 and a very cheap insert with this title are big negatives. The Way We Walk has been sequenced with the "longs" and "shorts" albums combined into the original running order. There is a slot for 2007's Live Over Europe, but it is not included with this set. The bonus discs, CD and 5.1 DVD is a 1973 concert from the Rainbow in London which is a good compliment to the Genesis Live album. A lot of positives, good remixes, nice packaging (except for Three Sides Live), and some nice unreleased Peter Gabriel-era tracks. Negatives, no surround mixes for Three Sides Live or The Way We Walk, and a slight mastering error on the end of the first tracks on both discs of Seconds Out. Also, the packaging of Seconds Out, like The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in the 1970-75 set, has the CD's in very tight compartments in the packaging which results in some surface scratches on the CD's and DVD. While it's great to have a nice lloking book, the discs should not become damaged by just removing them to listen to them. Overall, a good package which covers just about all phases of Genesis with Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins as frontmen.
on October 3, 2009
I have purchased all the preceeding Genesis boxes and I have been exceedingly happy with them. My stereo system is in the low to mid-range of ability. That said, I am happy with the remastering and remixing of those sets.

I am also thrilled with this set. In fact, I feel these discs, especially the oldest album (Live 1973) benefits the most sonically.

However, having been cleaned up I am a bit surprised at how sloppy that first live album is, at least as far as Rutherford's bass work and, to a lesser degree, Hackett's guitar. The cleaning has shed a light that had been covered for a while. While this is normal for the time period, where edits on to live recording were not done, it is refreshing, as it gives it a sense of immmediacy. I applaud them for retaining the bum notes.

All the rest of the CDs are in pristine shape, with great instrument seperation. I've only listened to a handful of the 5.1s (that's on the family system and they aren't as into this music as I am) but I have listened to all of the stereo remasters. Of all the boxes I feel that this one was done the best as far as the remastering.

As another reviewer noted, though, there are two major glitches from edits on the Seconds Out CDs. It is annoying and it was avoidable. I hope Rhino fixes this glitch.

Some complain that there is no video here or 5.1 of Three Sides or a Mama's tour included, and the other live material released (b-sides of singles, 12" singles, etc.). These are legitamate gripes, but we need to concentrate on what we have. Most of the best live video is on the DVD disc's of the other sets or is set to be released in the Genesis Movie Box Set which will contain the official released videos redone in 5.1 sound.

As far as this one goes, the remastering and remixing are excellent, the material is excellent, but the glitches, to me, knock it down a star. Four stars. Recommended.
77 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2009
It was good to put a lot of this material together into one box, but I was hoping for more extras. For example, some more of the much-shunned Calling All Stations 1997 tour. Surely there are some soundboard quality performances out there of this material.

However, it was good to get the "The Way We Walk" Volumes 1 & 2 on CD (finally). If you wanted to upgrade some of your Genesis CDs then this is for you, but if you are hoping for some serious bonus tracks like the other boxed sets, you will be disappointed.
on September 29, 2009
Well, pre-order complaints can now fall by the wayside in favor of ACTUAL listening reports ....

This set is awesome, easily my favorite of the four Genesis box set re-releases. Athough they could have been more extensive, the extras on this set are nice, particularly if you had been hoping for the eventual release of the classic 1973 Rainbow Theater show. But extras are not the reason to buy this set, glorious sound quality is! All four of the major albums are transformed, with improvements being more significant with the older albums. Genesis Live, for example, has gone from muddy and over-processed, to a dynamic, crystal-clear record that captures the power and brilliance of the early days of the band. The 2-channel versions are very nice, but if you have the gear, the 5.1 channel alternatives are amazing. My only sore point with this set is that Three Sides Live is not offered here in surround.

There is an empty slot for Live Over Europe, as the view was that most fans would have recently bought it and should not be asked to so again since it had not been remixed or remastered.

This is a great set!
2828 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
The music is what it is - incredible. I know, if so incredible, why three stars?

The mix could've been better - it almost seems a copy straight from vinyl without the hiss and pop. The best example is the lacking of Steve Hackett's brilliant guitar in Seconds Out, just like the album. Not that I don't like Tony's keyboards, but a nice balance would've been better. The DVD portion is a little hokey. Wished there was more live footage. The extras are good, but watching the tv visuals while listening to the 5.1 remaster is weird. Computer generated fractals would've been more fun. The slide show from the Lamb tour was cool.

I am not disappointed in purchasing it, I would again.

I would not discourage people from buying it, just be prepared to not be blown away like you were with Archive 1.

The Music is a Five, but the presentation and not living up to it's potential makes it a 3 star.