Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by us the duo Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 3, 2016
Easy hookup. Professionally packed for delivery. PC hookup in back, optional extra hookup in front. Sound is FANTASTIC for speakers of this price. BETTER than the Companion II I have upstairs but realize the space requirement is more. Tested sound with YouTube song called Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence, which is amazing in itself. Very happy with purchase initially, long term use remains to be seen per other reviewers but I bought the optional 2 year warranty for $3 also just as extra protection.
*UPDATE* - Bought August 2016 and last week started a loud airy hum noise from the left speaker - constant. Downgrading from 5 stars to 3 stars since I am experiencing long term issues as other reviewers are reporting. Still usable, just annoying. Also own a couple pair of original series Bose companion speakers - several years old - never 1 issue with them.
11 comment|Report abuse
on March 5, 2011
When you say to me computer speakers, I think small, odd shaped plastic contraptions that sound like they look. These Genius units are serious speakers. Even at close inspection , they look like higher end bookshelf units. And they sound as good as they look.

When they are set up right, they actually present a sound stage. Remarkable. The bottom 4" speaker is the low frequency, ported, long throw woofer. The upper 4" speaker is the midrange, apparently boxed or isolated from it's woofer cousin. Good speakers shouldn't add color or tone to what your listening to. These don't. They do well, they have a good voice.

When I got them, I hooked up one of my mp3 players to it to check it out. At first I thought, no volume. Wrong. Good speakers do that. No distortion, they don't make you squint or grimace when they're turned up. They sound good and you don't realize how loud it is. They're not bone shakers but they will make my wife complain. Electronics are good. Dead silent between songs with the built in amp fully maxed. I leave treble and bass adjustment at midpoint and play without equalization and there is a little boominess only with certain music. One thing, check the measurements. These are large for computer speakers.

If you like to listen to music. you'll like these. Well worth the little bit they cost.
38 helpful votes
39 helpful votes
on January 12, 2016
This review is for the SP-HF1800A since Amazon likes to mix the reviews in with each other:
I just received my second set of these and now don't want to do anything but sit at my desk and listen to music (rock, techno, & instrumental).
This set has phase plugs on the tweeters(not pictured) which the older set did not. This makes the mylar tweeters sound a bit smoother than the older version. If you want even smoother highs and less directionality, a set of MK Audio silk dome tweeters will drop right into these. The mounting plates are identical. I did this with my older set and was very satisfied with the results. The change probably won't be as drastic on this new version, but worthwhile if regularly listening to them off axis.

The separate tweeter and sealed back mids in these bring out a lot more detail in music than full range speakers used in most 2.1 setups.
As other reviewers have stated the bass is impressive for a 2.0 setup, but not going to shake the walls like a dedicated subwoofer. They go low and loud enough that I don't feel that anything is missing from music. If I regularly played video games with low frequency effects that I wanted to shake the floor, then I might feel differently. The midbass can get a bit muddy, but not as muddy as the subs in most 2.1 setups. That's the price paid for getting this much sound out of a fairly small driver. I think they've done a great job with maintaining a balance between clarity and the bass output needed for an overall rich and full sound.

One more thing. You can get parts for these. I managed to puncture the surround of the sealed back mid on my old set and was able to purchase an individual driver from Genius and repair it myself. I appreciate being able to get parts rather than being told to chuck it in the trash and buy a new one.
on February 24, 2016
These computer speakers look far more impressive than they sound, but I believe that is what the manufacturer was going for. The sound quality is adequate, but nothing special. Bass is especially challenging without a separate woofer, but highs aren't bad.

My peeve with this product is also mentioned in other reviews - though this is listed as a three-way speaker, it absolutely is not. The middle speaker is not a speaker, but a dummy which does not operate at all. Besides being deceptive, it adds to the considerable height compared to most computer speakers.

I continue to search for a reasonably good quality computer speaker at a reasonable price and would welcome suggestions.
33 comments|Report abuse
on September 12, 2016
Excellent speakers - they have nice sound separation with dedicated tweeter, mid and bass (controls to adjust bass/treble).

A couple of issues in regard to other reviews:
Some have said that you can only hook up a single input on the back of the speakers - however I have verified that whichever input you are using on the back, plugging in a 3.5mm stereo jack in the front immediately cuts over to that input. I use the speakers for a CD player, but as soon as I plug in my MP3 player to the input jack, that is what I hear.

Also - others have said these speakers don't have as much bass as they would like. All I can say is they must be listening to a different style of music - I listed to 70's and 80's rock - and I have to turn the bass ALL THE WAY DOWN to get a nice balanced sound (I turn up the treble slightly). Can't comment on loudness/distortion because I do not play these at high volume levels. I would think at higher volumes you would have to turn the bass down to avoid distortion of the speakers.

A couple more items - these are HUGE and heavy - 15" tall by 6" by 6"
Nice thing is there is no "wall wart" just a regular plug - also includes a 3.5mm cable as well as an RCA type cable

All in all, an excellent set of powered speakers.
on February 1, 2014
I bought these speakers for my desk. I am quite an audiophile, so I am very particular about sound quality, and these have made me happy.

My first pair broke in a week, but Amazon replaced them and nothing has happened since.

The best thing about these speakers is the range, which goes from 20hz to 20khz. Most speakers of this price and a bit higher up simply do not go that low, missing out on those deep and rich bass notes. The second pro of these speakers is the amp. These speakers aren't particularly loud for their size (though they are still quite loud), but the amp can evenly push through even the most strenuous of tasks with little distortion. Third, the sound produced is very warm and has a sense of depth. I use these in tangent with the Razer Surround Sound driver to play Battlefield 4, and it is a very immersive experience.

My only issue with it is that the port is rear firing, so you may miss out on those REALLY low notes if you do not have a wall/surface behind the speakers to properly reflect the sound. My speakers are angled, so I can't experience much the port sound, but the bass is still quite good.

In conclusion, the sound quality of these speakers is incredible and outperforms most of its competitors. They are excellent speakers for a small room, and can tackle just about any job. I would not recommend these for home theatre use though. TV speakers are more about putting volume out there than producing a wide variety of tones properly, and these speakers are quite the opposite. Don't get me wrong though, they are incredibly loud in small rooms. That being said, I am always slightly worried they might break someday soon.
11 comment|Report abuse
on April 28, 2015
I purchased these to put in a conference room for people to connect their laptop when giving presentations with sound. We were very disappointed in the volume you get out of these. With the speaker volume control at max, Windows volume control at max, and in-app volume control (if present) at max, these are no louder than the $20 pair of Altec Lansing speakers we wanted to replace. With everything at max you would normally expect some distortion but there was none. It is like the speakers are capable of more but the circuitry doesn't drive them to their full potential. So I wanted to return them and Amazon refused to take them back, stating they are controlled by special shipping restrictions. WTF? They shipped them to me via normal UPS. Since it would cost more in my labor and shipping to deal with this, I cut my losses and kept them, They do sound good for their price, although the person who said they sound better than their Bose needs a hearing test, I have several Bose, no contest, however nowhere near the price either. They are usable somewhere else, just not for our intended purpose.
22 comments|Report abuse
on October 17, 2012
This will be my second pair of these speakers that I've bought (can't remember if I got the first pair here on Amazon.com, but I digress). This isn't because these speakers are bad; but quite the contrary. I lent a pair of these to a buddy who has now claimed them as his own and I am somewhat bereft.

>>> The Dark Facets
All right, the first con to these speakers is their sheer size. Looking at the dimensions is one thing, but to truly understand them you have to either have the speakers themselves or some cardboard mock-up. These speakers are NOT intended for a small desk or bedroom table. They easily dwarf my 23" monitor that I sat them beside (the monitor itself barely cleared the tops of the speaker). It is preferable to have at least 2 to 2.5 feet of space between them and then have the listener be about 4 feet away to get a good audio effect. This leads to the second con - the speaker wires. The included RCA R/L to 3.5mm audio connector is less than six feet long. The cable that connects the two speakers together is also only around 5 feet in length. This creates some interesting engineering problems for putting them on a shelf or at either ends of a room. While these two wire lengths can be addressed with extensions, I have not tested such for quality.

>>> The Light Facets
Effortless, room-filling sound. These speakers easily fill a medium room with great sound. There is no overpowering bass to drown out the clarity of the highs and other dynamic ranges of sound often lost in 2.1 speaker systems. These speakers will reveal sound that has been missing from other sources. Turn on your music, sit on a couch & close your eyes. From CD audio to 128kbps MP3, they'll all sound great. You also have the option of 3 different inputs for these speakers. While not switchable, they are prioritized. On the back, you have two input types. The first and lowest priority is the RCA L/R jacks. With the supplied RCA L/R to 3.5mm audio cable, this takes care of the standard PC to speaker connection. You connect the 3.5mm audio to your PC and then to the RCA jacks in the back. Should you be connecting another source (say, a standard 5-disc CD player, DVD player or Roku box) that sports RCA-out left and right audio; you simply reverse the cable and connect to the 3.5mm jack on the back of the speakers (this jack takes priority over the RCA connectors on the back of the speakers). The front of the speakers sports an "Aux" input in the form of a 3.5mm audio jack. This connector takes priority over the two inputs in the back and is intended for other devices, such as portable game systems or DAPs.

>>> Observations
These speakers are great-sounding; but they are not for everyone. They are large and can get VERY loud. They will serve wonderfully in certain niches, though. For example, where my friend is concerned, he uses them in place of the shoddy speakers that are built-in on his LCD TV. They're somewhat easier to place than a sound bar and can be easily hidden behind the TV with the sound turned on. For me, they're a great semi-portable loudspeaker set for presentation. They are easy to set up and take down (very few cables) and simple to maintain. They just require a good container for transportation. For those situations where a subwoofer just isn't feasible (office, upstairs apartment, bedroom, etc.) these are a very good choice. They sound great for movies, music and diaglogue-based television.

>>> Recommendations
These speakers are a steal for the price. The only sacrifice you'll make is for the space required. If you've the space, I'd say get 'em. You'll not be disappointed.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on November 2, 2016
The sound is terrific, much better than what I'm use to, and at that price it's a steal. But be forewarned, these suckers are too huge for use with a desktop computer. I mean gigantic. They're way too big to be set on the desk next to the monitor. They're foot-print is Bigfoot size. I'm going to reorder the next size smaller, and keep these speakers to use with my PlayStation. But the sound is top notch.
on February 21, 2014
Let me tell you I have tried many speakers for my desktop and these pair sound twice better. Now these aren't extremely loud like many people want, but they are loud enough for me ( Plus music doesn't sound that good when people crank the bass and the volume 100%). You can hear everything in the songs. There were instruments that I never knew were used. Now there are two inputs on the back. One 3.55 mm and a stereo input. On the front a 3.55 mm audio cable and headset jack. Treble control and bass control knobs. Power knob is also volume. They are pretty big for desktop speakers and a bit heavy if you like to move them around. The included cable isn't long enough for most people, but you can get a decent one online for a good price. When I got these they were packaged very good and shipped very quickly. In my opinion these sound better than my Bose speakers I had. I wanted something that I could hear the songs the way they were written. Now also if you want to get the most of these speakers make sure you have pci sound card instead of an onboard. That way you get the best sound from your computer. Most review gave this 4.5/5. I seen a few where they compared it to a $400 dollar system and they preferred Genius SP-HF1800A. Hopefully this helps.