Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 7, 2016
This review is primarily to give a feedback on the sizes of leather bound and paperback printed books. I initially bought leather bound books. They were really pretty and paper quality was very good. But the down side is they are really small books. So I got the paperback edition books. These books are bigger than leather bound and easy to read. So it totally depends on the customer what size book you would like to buy. I attached a photo to compare. Hope this helps
review image
2,268 helpful votes
2,269 helpful votes
1313 comments|Report abuse
on June 22, 2015
What could be said about Game of Thrones, the first of George R.R. Martin's epic series, that hasn't been said a million times? It's absolutely brilliant. Going into these books (I read them after the show began but before I'd seen the show...), I enjoyed my share of sci-fi/fantasy along the lines of Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire Slayer... fairly light-hearted stuff (in comparison, at least) that always felt grounded in the same world I live in. The one genre I really disliked was "Middle Ages Fantasy" as I called it. Lord of the Rings, for instance, while the films were visually appealing, was not my cup of tea... too detached from reality. So when I first saw articles and clips from the HBO Game of Thrones series, I thought it looked like the one type of fantasy series that I would never enjoy. I held out for a looong time, until 3 different friends of mine with similar tastes in books/shows/films promised me that, while they too disliked this sub-genre of fantasty, this series was different, and I HAD to read the books or start the show. Grudgingly, I picked up the first book, figuring that I'd push myself half-way through it and let me friends know I tried and they were totally wrong.

Of course they weren't wrong.

What George R.R. Martin has done here defies genre, period. It doesn't matter if you're like me and don't care for this sub-genre of fantasy... it doesn't matter if your like my spouse, and don't like fantasy at all. If you enjoy brilliant, incredibly-developed, thought-provoking stories... those with a strongly developed cast of characters who blissfully lack being "good vs. evil" and instead all display their shades of grey, good traits, evil traits, unique traits, all sorts of traits... then this book is for you. Buy it. Open it up. Start reading. You won't regret it.
193 helpful votes
194 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on October 27, 2015
Extremely pleased with this leather edition. Absolutely stunning. Ten times more gorgeous in person.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
568 helpful votes
569 helpful votes
1515 comments|Report abuse
on September 18, 2015
To be clear, I'm not writing a review of a plot. I love the books and I was happy when I got them.

However, my issue is with the books themselves. When I got to the second book I noticed that approximately 70 pages are missing. I can't tell if this is the case for the rest of the books, but I'm certainly dissatisfied with the product.
review imagereview image
426 helpful votes
427 helpful votes
77 comments|Report abuse
This is a fabulous story of kings and ladies, knights and lords as they struggle for the kingship of Westeros, a continent roughly equivalent to Europe. But this is not Europe, and this novel and series is about a fantasy world, or a different world, or a different time. The technology is roughly equivalent to Europe in the Middle Ages, but this is not that place or time. And there are many differences as from our world, such as the existence of mammoths, dire wolves, and other creatures long extinct. Also, here be dragons. Perhaps the most interesting feature of this world is the apparent complete lack of technological progress -- the kingdoms and cultures of this world are said to have existed in much the same form and state for thousands of years.

This is a story of rich living and hard dying, struggle and battle. The characterizations are incredibly rich, and half of the fun of this series is following each of the many complex characters in this complex interwoven story. Even those who normally are not much for fantasy or "swords and sorcery" are likely to find this novel and series to be captivating and well worth reading. I did. RJB.
on October 11, 2017
A beautiful leather bound collection for A Song of Ice and Fire. The books are fairly small and are very easy to to travel with. The leather feels great in your hands and the printing is clear. Albeit, it is small printing, small font. If you have trouble reading smaller text, you may want to pass on this particular collection unless you are a die hard collector and fan. There does not to be anything special or additional to these volumes and collection as a whole.
on November 5, 2017
My review is not of the content of the books, but of the design of the mass market paperback edition. The printing in these books is VERY small and the print runs into the gutter. This makes the books very difficult to read without cracking the binding. Very poor book design. If these had been available in a larger format- trade paperback-- I would have purchased that, but as it is, you will have to suffer through the poor layout in these mass market editions. The story itself is compelling, and well done.
on November 9, 2017
My husband bought this for our Kindles and he loves it. He's read the series at least half a dozen times so this'll allow him to read whichever book whenever with the added convenience of it being on an e-reader when we travel. Easy to buy and download.
on October 8, 2017
Very good read it was a little harsh with its characters and they’re a great number of different families involved which can make it difficult final reading on the Kindle but otherwise very great book a plan to finish with the rest of the books.
on March 12, 2017
I cannot put this book down! It's been a very long time since I have enjoyed a book this much. It is very well written and moves right along. At first I had a hard time with who's who in the book but once the chapters became devoted to single characters I'm doing much better. I have not yet seen the show so I can create my own images of the characters in my imagination. I highly recommend this book.