BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 7, 2016
This review is primarily to give a feedback on the sizes of leather bound and paperback printed books. I initially bought leather bound books. They were really pretty and paper quality was very good. But the down side is they are really small books. So I got the paperback edition books. These books are bigger than leather bound and easy to read. So it totally depends on the customer what size book you would like to buy. I attached a photo to compare. Hope this helps
review image
1313 comments| 2,178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2015
Extremely pleased with this leather edition. Absolutely stunning. Ten times more gorgeous in person.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
1515 comments| 555 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2015
What could be said about Game of Thrones, the first of George R.R. Martin's epic series, that hasn't been said a million times? It's absolutely brilliant. Going into these books (I read them after the show began but before I'd seen the show...), I enjoyed my share of sci-fi/fantasy along the lines of Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire Slayer... fairly light-hearted stuff (in comparison, at least) that always felt grounded in the same world I live in. The one genre I really disliked was "Middle Ages Fantasy" as I called it. Lord of the Rings, for instance, while the films were visually appealing, was not my cup of tea... too detached from reality. So when I first saw articles and clips from the HBO Game of Thrones series, I thought it looked like the one type of fantasy series that I would never enjoy. I held out for a looong time, until 3 different friends of mine with similar tastes in books/shows/films promised me that, while they too disliked this sub-genre of fantasty, this series was different, and I HAD to read the books or start the show. Grudgingly, I picked up the first book, figuring that I'd push myself half-way through it and let me friends know I tried and they were totally wrong.

Of course they weren't wrong.

What George R.R. Martin has done here defies genre, period. It doesn't matter if you're like me and don't care for this sub-genre of fantasy... it doesn't matter if your like my spouse, and don't like fantasy at all. If you enjoy brilliant, incredibly-developed, thought-provoking stories... those with a strongly developed cast of characters who blissfully lack being "good vs. evil" and instead all display their shades of grey, good traits, evil traits, unique traits, all sorts of traits... then this book is for you. Buy it. Open it up. Start reading. You won't regret it.
55 comments| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2015
To be clear, I'm not writing a review of a plot. I love the books and I was happy when I got them.

However, my issue is with the books themselves. When I got to the second book I noticed that approximately 70 pages are missing. I can't tell if this is the case for the rest of the books, but I'm certainly dissatisfied with the product.
review image review image
77 comments| 398 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2016
I have yet to start reading the books as they just arrived today, but let me tell you, THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL. The leather is flexible and comfortable to hold. Even the case holding the books is also leather. I'm very excited to read these, I'm sure they'll be amazing.
review image review image
on November 23, 2013
George R. R. Martin crafted a bone-chilling, high fantasy story; I'm angry with myself for hopping on the bandwagon so late.
To pretty much give you the general idea about what these books are about:

"'Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you. Remember that when you come to play the game.'
'What...what game?'
'The only game. The game of thrones.'"

The books — at times — are not a nice read: there’s rape, incest, prostitution, slavery and gore in here. Yes, not a very nice series… but it’s realistic in a way like the middle ages. A Song of Ice and Fire has that atmosphere.

There are also daring knights with shinning amour and swords and hilarious banters; there are winters too cold and wars too heart-wrenching. The books may be terribly long and sometimes a slow read, but they're really fun as well as adventurous ones. Fantasy is the best genre to read to get lost in another world entirely different from our own — especially the long fantasies since one could savour it a little more… A Song of Ice and Fire is one of those long fantasies people should read.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
1414 comments| 354 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2017
A Game of Thrones is a well-written look at what goes on behind the throne or thrones, told through the eyes of all of the players involved in the crowning of a king and the running of a kingdom, and there are so many. And there are just as many intrigues, deceptions and negotiations going on as there are military battles. Characters are well-developed and numerous. Some you'll love and some you'll hate. Don't plan on getting much done during the read, as you're not going to want to put it down. I shall eagerly await the next book. The only negative comment I have is that the depictions of women and of religious figures are less than flattering to both, and those characters for the most part lack qualities to be admired. I have concerns about the effects on young readers even. I still enjoyed the books though.
on March 2, 2015
Rating this book was hard for me at first. I do like it a lot and it is different than any other book of it's genre. It is definitely worthy of a five star rating. I decided that my reservations were completely my own though and not the fault of the book. I will present them anyway in case they might be helpful to others.

The book is long, really long with lots of characters. Now, while that helps to make this a great book, it is easy, for me anyway, to forget who the characters are and where in the story they belong. I found it helpful to get the book on Kindle, which aided in keeping track of characters with it's "one touch" search system.

Also, because it is the first book of a series, it means I will have to read the rest of the books, all equally as long from what I can tell, if I want to see the story through to its conclusion. So far, I've read the first two and trying to decide if I want to continue. The books are so good that I probably will but it's like looking at the peak of a really tall mountain trying to decide if I want to take that first step.

I hope this helps.
on June 17, 2015
I love George RR Martin's song of Ice and Fire books and most of this bundle offered for Kindle is just fine however I think there needs to be a bit more proofreading before things like this are released for purchase. There were a few mistakes (repeated sentences, typos etc). If people are going to pay money for these bundles they need to be looked over a bit more closely. That being said if you are a reader who isn't bothered by a few mistakes now and then this bundle is a good deal for a great epic story. Knights, romance, war and many many surprises. These books have it all.
on October 6, 2017
I had a bit of an issue with my first order but was able to get a replacement within days. I love how beautiful these books are and the size. They are small enough to carry around in my purse. If you are a GOT fan and want a copy of the books I would recommend getting these. They are smaller than the regular ones but have much more of an eye appeal to them. The only reason I am giving them a 4 star is because the first set of books they sent me looked like a mouse had gotten into them and chewed on some pages.