Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,339 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,542 reviews
on November 11, 2010
Well, as an avid Bear Grylls fan, I really truly was hoping for the best on this, and I originally rated this a 5 star product, but after some reviews of the pommel falling off, I decided to go in my backyard and hack at a branch. Just like them, I hacked into ONE branch, about 20 times and there goes the pommel, detached from the plastic. They are correct, the pommel is NOT attached to the blade tang. It's attached to the PLASTIC. It's really cheaply made. Very poor. I really wish this was made different and I think that even Bear would agree that if he used this product himself, he would be greatly disappointed. BOO!!!

UPDATE 11/2010: (for those of you who may have an old version)

I've contacted Gerber regarding my issue, and it looks like this is essentially a "beta" or promotional version, and there will be modifications done Jan/feb of 2011 to correct the issues at hand. Maybe the new one will also be made in Portland. Here is their correspondence.

Thank you for contacting Gerber Legendary Blades regarding the Limited Lifetime Warranty with your Gerber - Bear Grylls product. Gerber warrants to the consumer that this product will be free of defects, in material and workmanship for as long as you own the product. This warranty does not cover damage due to rust, accident, loss of product, improper use, abuse, negligence, or modification of or to any part of the product. Normal wear and tear is not covered under the warranty.

Should your product have failed while being used as intended, we recommend contacting your retailer for Replacement. At this time, we do not have Warranty Replacements to offer from Gerber. The early release of this product was promotional effort and additional product is not available until approximately January/February 2011.

Of course, you're welcome to return your Bear Grylls product to Gerber for a new replacement when they're officially released in January/February 2011. In addition, there are modifications to the handle that will enhance performance with the 2nd release.

If you prefer to send your Bear Grylls Product in for a new replacement in 2011, please send the product, along with an explanation of the defect, your name, physical address, and phone number, to the address below:

Gerber Legendary Blades

Attn: Service Dept.

14200 SW 72nd Ave

Portland, OR 97224

It is recommended that you send your package via UPS, FedEx, or insured mail. Gerber Blades will incur all costs for return postage.

UPDATE 3/2011!

This should be the new version that is corrected, I'm still awaiting my replacement to verify and test, but the word is out that what you will be ordering from now on is the corrected new version. You should feel a little more confident with this issue.

rate this review if helpful!
3838 comments| 850 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2015
I bought this hoping it'd be a great knife, which in all honesty, it is. But I wouldn't call it a survival knife. Reason being, are the serrations. It's a personal preference. But as soon as you whack something , those serrations get bent to heck and back. You have to baby a knife with serrations like these. Who would call that for "survival use"?

I wound up grinding the serrations off with my Worksharp Ken Onion. I've never reprofiled a knife, so it has some weird bevel angles through it now, but the knife is way more functional at this point. It's ugly, but works.

My advice? Unless you desperately need those darn serrations, get the model without them for a few more dollars. Otherwise, when you go out side and whack a tree branch with this thing, you're going to have a useless lower half of the knife.

Here's a pic after my modification, ugly, but it's sharp as a razor.
on July 27, 2012
Many are complaining about the old blade, which wasn't full tang, and the pommel falls off. I have 0 issues with the blade itself. It works excellently for me.

However, the sheath is lackluster. Within the first day of use, the pinch retaining system the sheath uses tore open, leaving it without any grip on the blade. If it weren't for the velcro strap on the end of the knife handle, it would have been sitting freely in the sheath.

I just sent Gerber an email about it, and I trust they will make things right, but I felt this needed to be shared.

EDIT 08/09/12: Gerber replied quickly and sent out a replacement in 13 days. However, they sent the wrong part. I've contacted them again about getting the correct part sent to me.
on April 4, 2017
Do not buy this product. The pommel, detaches from the handle. This knife is very poorly constructed and will fall apart with very little use. The pommel is not connected to the tang, but is pressed into the molded plastic handle. One or two good whacks and the pommel will pop right off. See the attached photo. This was a colossal waste of money. Buyer Beware!
on July 15, 2014
Currently loving this. Bought this as a cheaper alternative (34.95) to the Morakniv Bushcraft Carbon Steel Survival Knife with Fire Starter (58.99).

Immediately liked the feel of the knife. Compared to my Prodigy Tanto, its grip feels a lot better. Fire striker works well. Knife is more substantial than the Bushcraft. Has integrated knife sharpener also.

Will try out on next campout and update review.

UPDATE: Took out camping. Still a good knife for general knife work and the added firestarter/whistle are a bonus. Started a fire with the fire starter. It's a little short compared to a "light my fire" fire starter but does the trick. The whistle doesn't produce a very loud whistle so its use is limited.

I did baton wood and make feather sticks with the this knife but not as easy as with a fine/straight edge knife. Wouldn't recommend this for Bushcraft work due to its serrated edge. If looking for a good bushcraft knife, get the fine/straight edge version of this knife.

Used hammer butt of knife to drive in a tent stake but wouldn't recommend doing that regularly; rocks work better and you are less apt to miss and gouge your hand on tent takeor poke your eye out!

Still would recommend for a inexpensive all around knife for camping/hiking and you can't beat the cost to feature ratio.
on December 14, 2015
This knife is in my bug-out bag. Like the other Bear Grylls Gerber knives I own, it is made of good steel that sharpens to a fine edge which holds up well. The serrated part will make short work of a dead branch and it will get you some kindling to use with the built in fire starter!

The hammer built into the pommel is surprisingly useful! You'd be amazed how often you want to have one handy but don't!

The diamond sharpener is aggressive and will restore an extremely dull blade to good working condition in no time. You may not get a razor edge with it (at least I couldn't) but it is still VERY sharp!

Use the Lansky BladeMedic to bring back the really great edge!
on February 12, 2017
Incredible! Comes with:

-Integrated sharpener on case
- Emergency whistle
-fire stick starter
-Velcro fabric exterior case that is for attaching to belt
-Actual knife sheath is plastic
-Blade is half serated near base

Pros: Handle is a perfect size. My wife has small hands and she has no problem gripping it. Also, the knife is fairly sharp and could probably be sharpened. We used the integrated sharpener and it worked!
Cons: The case is definitely a plastic and the plastic clip that keeps the knife in looks like it would go after a while if you use the knife a lot and thuse take it out and put it in frequently. I don't see this being an issue for a while though.
on September 27, 2016
I wasn't aware that they made a "Pro" model of this knife. A more expensive, slightly better version. So I returned this knife and bought the pro model. Here is my very limited review of this knife.

Cons- Made in China. Doesn't have a full tang all the way through the handle. Fire starter installs upside down in the sheath, so it can fall out and you will never notice. Stupid marketing.

Pros - blade was sharp, feels great in the hand, seems very tough and durable. Knife feels substantial in the hand, like it will be there when you need it.

In conclusion, I have no doubt that this knife will serve you well and have a long life.
on April 23, 2014
This is the knife for you. Trust me, I got knives of all kinds. If you want a basic, all around knife, here you go. fits nicely on the belt. The steel, is super serious- very nice and thick, not going to snap off, good sheath, nice fire-starter (fire steel), the whistle is annoying on the knife handle but i transferred it to the bottom of the sheath using the many para-chord sized holes along the sides of the sheath. "Nice grippe handle" as BG put it, is really is, sticks to your hand almost- even when damp. I would have preferred snaps as apposed to Velcro, but you can not get everything, this does come close though. I have bought ten knives, upward of $100 USD and this beats out them all. Does not replace a good saw-back machete, though. It has a sharpener built on, really it does. I recommend this. I also recommend this: Ka-Bar Becker BK3 Tac Tool Fixed Blade Knife - with the two you are all good. Now, i gotta say, I am not really BG fan, but these tools he has endorsed through Gerber. QUALITY PRODUCT. Gerber is a good go to lower cost brand for good stuff. Trust me, i research everything to death before i get something. I test it, ask questions of others who have it whenever possible. If you see, i give most things a good review, because i do these steps beforehand, i never really get crap. You should not either, so GET THIS KNIFE half straight half serrated blade great of game and fish, making spears, or to be used as a spear with the para-chord holes on the handle. I will be getting more of these for myself and stocking stuffers. not kidding here. this and the BG Multi tool (i literally never go anywhere without that thing).
on December 27, 2013
The Gerber Bear Grylls survival knife is a really fantastic value. For how much money you're paying for this thing, it's mind boggling that so many people are complaining so much. It doesn't have a full tang. It's made in China. The end pops off after I beat the crap out of it. Blah, blah, blah...

I tell you what. If you want a Ferrari, buy a Ferrari. This is more akin to a Hyundai. FOR THE MONEY, it's a hell of a fantastic value. Some of these reviewers are failing to take into consideration that this is a mass produced, made in China, inexpensive knife. So take it for what it is and stop trying to hold it to the same standard what you would for a boutique knife maker.

Will this thing function in the outdoors? Absolutely. The blade holds it's edge relatively well. And if it dulls up (as ALL knives do), a few minutes with a sharpening stick and you're back in business. The Gerber knife comes with a ferro rod that clips into the sheath. And it throws sparks better than any other knife in my collection. (I think part of it has to do with the geometry of the spine being a perfect 90 degrees and having quite sharp edge, which allows it to have a very positive contact with the ferro rod).

What about batoning wood? That seems to be where everybody's getting their panties tied up in a knot. Here's the deal folks. If you need to split wood, go get yourself an axe. Wood splitting is more a job for an axe anyway...and trying to convince people that if a knife is worthless if it can't baton wood without suffering any damage whatsoever... It's just a really dumb argument. I must reiterate something. This is a very inexpensive knife...so don't obsess over the batoning thing. If push came to shove and I was out in the wilderness and the ONLY thing I had to split some wood was this...do you actually think I'm going to worry if the end pops off? That would be the least of my concerns. I think far too many survivalists obsess about minutia too much.

One of the things I REALLY love about this knife is the ergonomics. The handle is really comfy in my hands, has a non-slip surface and the whole knife has excellent balance. I was able to do a lot of work without suffering any hand fatigue - always a good sign.

For use as a cutting tool, it's held up just fine. My preference would have been to buy the fine edge version (as opposed to the partial serration). But when I got mine, I wasn't aware of the full fine edge model. Had I known, I would've bought the fine edge - and the reason is because it's just easier to sharpen. But other than that, I can't complain too much. The serrated edge does a fantastic job at cutting cordage, rope and other stuff.

I've had my Gerber knife for over two years and have never had a single problem. I think it's a very good product, priced at a point where anyone can afford it and offers quite a bit of versatility. If buying a USA made product is a primary concern for you, don't buy this knife. If having a full tang knife that will survive endless and relentless beatings while batoning wood is important to you, don't buy this knife. But if you want a really good, every day knife for camping and general outdoor use and you don't want to spend a lot of money, I can't think of too many other knives which are a better bang for the buck.