Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 6,387 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,629 reviews
on June 9, 2017
I like the function of the purifier. It runs quietly, and I immediately noticed that I would wake up in the morning way less congested than I had been without it. Cleaning and changing the filter verifies that the unit is indeed pulling contaminants out of the air as well.

I liked the unit so much that I ended up ordering two more of them over the next several months.

6 months after my original purchase, my unit started to bug out. The cable, a few inches from where it was plugged into the wall, had developed an issue. As I moved the bend of the cable, the unit would flicker off. The cable had obviously developed an open inside of it. This unit had been essentially stationary since opening, with an occasional cleaning and one filter replacement. There was no undue stress on the cable.

The product was covered under warranty. I emailed Guardian's customer support to ask about the issue. I was told that the cable was not a replaceable part, that I needed to ship the entire unit back to them, and that I would have to pay for shipping.

The exact wording in the email was, "Per the terms of the warranty as stated in the manual, the customer is responsible for the shipping costs..." The product manual doesn't state this. Using USPS shipping estimator, it looks like this will cost around $28-40 to ship back to the factory.

Guardian wants me to pay a third of my original purchase price in shipping charges in order to exercise the warranty on their faulty product. Perhaps this is their way of deterring us from exercising the warranty at all.

Buyers beware. This is how Guardian supports its products.
1414 comments| 565 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2012
My toddler and I both have severe allergies and asthma. To the point that over the past month we have both been having major issues with the pollen and smog in the air, even with being home most of the time! I ordered this one after doing A LOT of research, and I decided this was the best for the money. With a true HEPA filter that you replace once a year (opposed to once a month) it would save money in the long run. I chose this one for the den in our house and over the coming weeks we will be getting smaller ones for the bed rooms.

This review for right now is 24 hours in to having it on in the house, and later I will come back and add to it.
Set up was easy straight out of the box, and I put it out of traffic areas in the house. I was worried with where I put it there would be trouble for good air circulation, but it is doing great! In fact with it on high I noticed a tag on the other side of the room (directly across) was moving on one of the toys yesterday as I was cleaning. Then I cooked fish last night (our den has an open doorway to the kitchen), and I couldnt even smell it cooking!! I decided to test it this morning, and sat on the couch painting my nails. Even using nail polish remover I couldnt smell it!!! (which astounds me b/c I hate doing my nails simple b/c of the toxic fumes!!) As far as noise, its not that bad. On high, with the tv and with kids running around it is a little white noise and thats it. I sleep with the bed room doors open, and having a tower computer on in the den annoyed me, however on medium I couldn't even hear it in the den! It also moves a lot of air b/c even when the ac isnt blowing air, it feels like it is b/c of this tower! I am super excited at the thought of having better air quality in the house so we dont have as many issues, and I know it will take probably a good month for me to be able to judge that (and trust me I keep up with our flair ups b/c my son sees a specialist so I can tell you if it will make a difference or not). I also liked the UV light, since we have kids over to play all the time it makes perfect sense to have it to.

Also anyone that has lung issues, make sure to avoid any purifier that has the ion part (where you turn it on for a fresh smell) it actually causes lung problems (if you have underlying problems). Oh and check out the reviews on walmart . com for this purifier, it has hundreds of reviews and most are five star (which is one of the reasons I went with this model even though not everyone loved it on here).

Check back in August and I will add an update =)

****************************UPDATE****************************** 12/2/2012
Hi ALL! Sorry took me so long to come back and update =) Fortunately if you see below I did give a heads up three weeks in we still loved it. This unit is holding up well, and really does a good job! Since buying it (I guess going on six months ago now --WOW THAT WENT FAST!!) it helped with our asthma and allergies. Within the first month I stopped waking up with a stuffy nose, and it was taking particles out of the air so I wasn't seeing as much dust. I still would love to have them in each room, but that is on the back burner. Make sure you have enough for the sq footage of your room. We have since moved to a larger place, that has more sq footage in the den, and also two open doorways leading to other rooms. As such, this unit is doing really well for how much air it has availability to; when I should honestly probably should have one more in here. It isn't too loud, and I love the uv light. Within the first month of us having it we were exposed to someone (a visitor) that wound up having pneumonia. With the fact we have a higher risk of catching lung illnesses, I was really nervous. I think a big contributor to not catching it is because we had this unit running on high with the uv light. I highly recommend this unit, and I hope it helps! =)

***********************************Update 6/26/13
We just about hit the year mark! Still working great and going strong! Make sure you wipe down (inside and out) once a month (as the book says). Still going strong, and working well! =) Buy this one, and you wont regret it!

***********************************Update 11/13/13
Unit is still working great! We added a second one earlier this year, and pleased with both! =)

***********************************Update 06/29/14
Both units are still going strong with no issues. Still helping with our asthma and allergies.
review image
5150+ comments| 5,911 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2017
I purchased two of these units as well as a GermGuardian AC5250PT in January 2017. Tonight (April 25th) my wife smelled something burning - the odor was very strong. We knew something in the house was smoldering and were running room to room to find it. It seemed like the smell was coming from the GermGuardian AC4825, but we couldn't tell for sure. I took it to the garage where the odor was not present and sniffed around the vents, but I still wasn't sure if the GermGuardian was the source of the burning smell.

I had to be sure the GermGuardian was the source. If not, something else was burning inside our house! So, I took the cover off and sure enough a circuit board underneath the controls was badly burned! The crazy part is the unit was still functioning - still blowing air and appeared to be working normally. The fuse on the circuit board hadn't even blown! If we had not been home this thing could have burned our house down.

I telephoned Amazon and they are refunding my money on all three units I purchased. I will be shipping these units back as soon as possible. I asked the Amazon rep to report this to the manufacturer.
review image
1919 comments| 788 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2015
So I do love the GermGuardian it works extremely well, and as a long time allergy sufferer it has been a godsend. Honestly though the Filters are extortion which led me to find a very inexpensive alternative to their insanely priced filters. You simply purchase a 14 x 24 X 1 allergen grade home air filter (pictured), and cut it down to fit the unit. This makes about 3 to 4 filters that work just as well and possibly better if you get really high quality filters. I attached a couple pictures, one shows the type of filter and the other is a cut down filter after three months of use (it used to be pure white). The home filter cost me $20, and after cutting it up into 3 pieces each filter for the guardian really only cost me around $7. I attached a link to the Filtrete brand filter which is $32 for a 2 pack which is even cheaper than the Honeywell one I got from Home Depot. Anyway don't be fooled and don't over pay. Filtrete Healthy Living Ultra Allergen Reduction Filter, MPR 1500, 12 x 24 x 1-Inches, 2-Pack
review image review image
2222 comments| 4,035 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2017
We have two cats in our 4,000 sq ft house. When my sister came from out of state, she asked if our cats ran away. She said our home had zero odor or scents, which is what I was going for.

I have two of these units and one of the next size up. The larger one sits in the doorway of the cats' restroom, one in the master suite, and one in the kitchen.

On the lowest setting, dust from the litter box is immediately whisked away and cooking odors do not linger. I prefer the manual operation to the larger unit's electronic controls. We have power outages frequently and the manual units power up as soon as electrical service is restored, but the electronic unit must be turned back on by a human.

We live in a more rural area, near large farms and constant construction; with an indoor litter box, the dust accumulation on indoor surfaces became overwhelming, even with my Roomba 650 running five days a week. (My robot picks up cat litter and hair like magic, but isn't much use with fine dust).

I've cleaned the filters on all three one time in the almost 90 days since we've had them. I knock the dust out of the pre-carbon filter and blow the HEPA filter out with an air compressor. I used to dust nearly every day, now I dust and deep clean about once a month. I've also noticed I haven't had to treat our long haired cat, who also spends a lot of time outside, for ear mites since February.

I did replace the thin pre-carbon filters with a Filtrete brand that you cut to size when I cleaned the units a few weeks ago. I'm attaching photos of the filter I removed and cleaned from the unit closest to the litter box, the before cleaning photo reflects how much dust was collected in a little over two weeks. (I attached a photo of the same filter after knocking the dust out). The other photo is of the furry bastard who throws cat litter and hair all over my house. He's shedding, but I've foiled his plans to make my life a living hell. Thanks to the Roomba and these Germguardian air purifiers, he'll have to be satisfied with annoying the crap out of me in other ways.
review image review image review image
22 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2017
Although I dust & vacuum fairly often, I noticed I still had issues with my asthma when spending periods of time in my room (in particular when I slept at night). I was using my inhaler much more often than usual and I couldn't understand why my symptoms seemed worse in my bedroom. I've seen advertisements for air purifiers in the past (like the ones that claimed to blow 'happy ions' in your face) & figured they were the 'snake oil' of air filtration systems. It wasn't until nursing school when I started to learn about HEPA filters for hospitals that I realized proper filtration could be a game changer for my symptoms. I did my homework while searching Amazon and came across this germguardian purifier that seemed to have great feedback. After reading reviews & confirming the integrity of customers' feedback (Fakespot.com got your back), I decided to give this filter a go. I've had this air purifier for about 5 months now and I would buy one for every room in my house if they were a little less expensive. My symptoms aren't nonexistent but they've definitely improved and that's all I could ask for! I included a picture to show just how much stuff it filters from the air. This particular filter that I've just replaced is completely coated with a thick layer of dust bunnies (and goodness knows what else) after only a few months of use. My symptoms make total sense now that I see how much stuff gets left behind when cleaning. I'm hoping to catch this purifier during a price drop one day so that I can get more for my home & maybe even one for the office I work at. In all, it helps to have a little backup to help catch all the stuff that's been missed, especially for rooms with carpeting or tons of fabric that dust likes to hide in.
on September 2, 2017
It's a very good air purifier. It does what it's supposed to do, at least the part about filtering particulate matter which I was able to verify with a PM2.5 sensor (I can't vouch for the rest since I can't measure it, but it probably works as advertised).
A few improvements that would be nice:
* The fan makes more of a high-pitched sound. It's OK, but it could be better. I also own a Fellowes AeraMax DX95 (different input voltage but otherwise the same as AeraMax 300) and I much more prefer the more soothing lower-pitched hum of the AeraMax.
* The airflow comes out to one side and its the direction is not adjustable (other than moving the unit around). Not a big deal. I like about the AeraMax that I can direct the flow of air vertically.
* The cost of the genuine replacement filters on a yearly basis and adjusted for the CADR filtration rate is much higher than the AeraMax. You can buy Amazon's Choice generic filters for this air purifier, but they are still more expensive on a yearly and CADR-adjusted basis than the original AeraMax filters (I tested the NISPIRA for the GermGuardian and the HEPA part works about just as well as the original). Of course since the GermGuardian is a best seller they take advantage of that and over charge for their replacement filters.
on April 19, 2017
Honestly not enough good things I can say about these GermGuardian's. I've purchased 2 that run 24/7 in my home and the amount of stuff that even the pre-filters catch is amazing. A caviot is that I have asthma and allergies and we clean our house quite often (hepa vacuum, allergy spray damper, etc.) and these things are still catching stuff out of the air.

Pros:
Quiet as a peep! On the lowest setting it is very quiet and on it's highest it's still quieter than my whirlpool air cleaner on it's lowest setting!
Small footprint
UV Light can be turned off or on, but I find it makes a nice nightlight for the kids
It works! Pre filters show you that it works, then if you consider those are just the filters BEFORE the HEPA, you know your getting some clean air!

Cons:
It doesn't blow the direction you'd think. The air comes out to one side, not in front of it. Although this doesn't really effect it's operation it's a little strange and causes you to turn it to one side.
on December 30, 2016
Its hard to notice at the very beginning but you'll soon realize that the air is actually being purified.
My nasty coughs, itchy throat, stuffy nose, cappy morning feelings has disappeared after just having it in my bedroom and the living room.
Ive only bought one so far so I take it around the house when I work in my office space or in my bedroom and it works perfectly.
on March 31, 2017
I know that are some reviews talking about the bad burned plastic smell when you leave it running for a while, even with the UV light off. I want to say I din't have that type of issue at all. Since when I put it to work it didn't smell anything like that, just a usual smell of brand new filters and fan, but it disappeared on the first day.
Other thing is that I'm really satisfied with it's performance; it is clearing the dust and also taking away the smell of my bedroom.