Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 93 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 132 reviews
on April 17, 2017
Good book, older language learning approach. As many mention it's not great on the grammar rules. should not rely on a single source for learning a language anyways, as each 'system' has its flaws. It's better to have multiple sources and repeat for reinforcement learning.
on August 27, 2014
The method is great, but this book is not optimised for Kindle and the text is full of errors. I don't find that acceptable when it comes to a book that should help you learn a new language.
on December 11, 2012
I have the paper version, and think it's excellent. Wanted to get the Kindle version so I could carry it around with me. I can't read the pages though!! Way too small. Will probably remove it, since there's no use in it being on the Kindle. Very disappointed, because it's a very well written (though yes, I know a lot of the phrasing etc. is dated) and a very sound book in paper format.
on September 1, 2016
What a joy! I studied German from this book fifty years ago purely out of linguistic curiosity. It was entertaining, easy to follow, funny, useful, friendly, and all such wonderful things. I am planning on visiting some German speaking countries and found this still available, albeit as an ebook. I am enjoying making its acquaintance again. I still have my dog eared copy of the original hardcover. I wish there was an audio CD as well.
on May 22, 2017
Very well written. Concise, clear to the point, and very informative. It was more than I expected to be honest, and I will keep using this as I learn.
on August 25, 2011
I first bought this book about 15 years ago (OMG), but I didn't stick with my German studies long enough to make real use of it. I remember thinking even then that it would be a great self-study book. When I found it on Amazon for so cheap, I ordered it again. As remembered, this book is really fantastic. Obviously, it's a little dated, having first been published in 1962. But the majority of the content is still valid and since you won't (hopefully) be relying solely on this book for your studies, the few out-of-date things shouldn't be an issue.

The format of this book is pleasant to me for some reason. It has lots of quaint photos and images to illustrate vocabulary. There are exercises to test your mastery of the material, with keys to the exercises in the back of the book. In the first few lessons, example sentences have pronunciation aids beneath them. Reading sections are presented on the left side of the page with the English translation on the right. The material covered is divided into the typical sections: family, colors, greetings, numbers, the home, weather, traveling, shopping, sports, dining. And of course by the end you'll have a good understanding of grammar.

At the end of the book is an introduction to German literature, which briefly covers (in English) the history of the language, as well as key influences such as Luther's translation of the Bible, Shakespeare, philosophy, war, etc. There is also a brief introduction to German customs/society, obviously very dated.
on March 10, 2011
To be honest, I did put it in the trash can when I had my first contact with this book. Can't believe how small the printing is, how crowded the lines are and how out-dated the illustrations could ever be.
Luckily, I read other people's review and tried to be nice to this book by keeping it for the time being.
After studying other German-learning textbooks for 8 months, I went back again to this book and suddenly realized how helpful this book is!!
I started reading again. I used this book as the central material and studied it thoroughly. And? the most attractive point is : many of my questions from other textbooks are gradually solved. not all at once, but it is moving, the progress is so evidently felt, and this feels great!!!

Is there any place we can propose questions when we use this book?
For example,
is "Welches" the only "Fragenartikel" in "superlative" questions?

Page 80 in the book ~~ we are encountered with these questions:
Welches ist die grösste Stadt in Amerika?
Welches ist der längste Tag?

Thanks.
on January 19, 2009
I read other reviews and decided to try this book. I have a background in several other languages but had almost zero knowledge of German when I began reading this book. After a few days, I can already say basic sentences and the way the vocab is introduced has me remembering more words than I thought I could. I'm considering redoing all of my Italian flashcards in a manner similar to the one found in this book. There is a lot of repetition and the lessons are short and filled with useful words. It doesn't move too fast as some other books do. The entire book is in black and white, so if you're looking for serious visual stimulation, you won't find it here. However, what's important is that it is successful in getting you to learn and remember the German language. It's very helpful to read everything out loud, as well. The pronunciation guide is useful, too, and better than I've seen in other books. Overall, this book is great and very inexpensive. I wish they had this method available for other languages.
on November 24, 2013
I recommend this book. It has a 1950's feel to it, but I found it very entertaining and useful in learning the basics of the German language. There is a facsimile copy of the original British version also available from Kindle print on demand, but this Dover American edition has a clearer print image and uses American terms like trunk instead of boot. The Dover edition is also available as a Kindle edition, but I think that the paperback has a better layout.
on November 3, 2013
This has a really great feel. The old time feel of the descriptions and artwork enhances the appeal for me. I am using this and Assimil German to study the language and I have found really good results with both. I took German in high school and this book seems to be on par with a lot of the vocab I received then. I can not attest to what others have said about the style of spoken German having changed but that sounds about right just based on how English has changed since the mid twentieth century. If you are at all interested in learning the German language I feel this gives a good introduction and will provide a solid access to a couple thousand words allowing one to move on to other texts.