Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 19 reviews
on April 12, 2011
I find DK eyewitness travel guides the best way to get to know a country and to plan a trip around it. The books about a certain city are definitively the best I've ever read. However, in this particular case of Germany, I think they didn't achieve that level of perfection noticed in other guides. The problem is that there are so many places to visit in Germany that they simply do not fit in a pocket sized guide. Therefore, the lack of space is paid with lack of useful information and the whole guides results extremely good for having an overview of Germany and planning your trip, but almost useless by the time you get there. Say you decide to visit Stuttgart, Munich Nuremberg and Berlin; then you'll be using no more than 25% of this guide. That means, a lot of useless weight on your backpack.
on November 30, 2010
I liked this book because of it's detail on the architectural structures and that it grouped everything by county so I can pick and choose what to see in the counties I'll be near.

I've been to Germany a few times and know how to get about and whatnot. I bought this book because it focused on the cities and things to see in the cities - city by city and county by county. I really liked its focus on the architecture of Germany, which I love, and am glad I got it for this reason. You can travel almost anywhere in Germany and love it but it's my goal to see as many churches and cathedrals as possible because each has its own personality and is something to be remembered. It's really light on hotels and places to eat, but you can always find a B&B or hotel online prior - hotels in books are always pricey and I'm a cheap traveler. Ask locals where to eat for good, traditional German food because they'll point you in the right direction. If you want a book to tell you about hotels and restaurants, go with Rick Steves because that's a major focus for his books.

I gave it 4 stars because it is light on the travel aspect, but it's perfect for the experienced traveler who wants to see the history and monuments of Germany. Some of the pictures are pretty old and grainy, too.
I bought this guide many years ago, and it has been so useful, and well used, that it is now quite 'dog eared'. Visual, colourful and concise, it covers just about everything that anyone could want to know or need when travelling through Germany, as a tourist, on business or just living there at the time.

Not only sites, suggestions and beautiful illustrations of what the country offers, but including amongst other subjects useful phrases, how to catch a train, detailed maps, and cultural and historical facts.

Even if you have no immediate plans for that 'German Adventure' this guide is ideal for armchair browsing and travelling.

Visions of Germany is a breathtaking and detailed bird's eye view of Bavaria and travelling along the River Rhine, two of Germany's most scenic and historic regions. Together with an informative and in depth commentary it has an evocative soundtrack of classical masterpieces by Beethoven, Wagner and Strauss, as well as traditional vocal and instrumental folk music.

From Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, the inspiration for Disney's Sleeping Beauty Castle, to the journey down the River Rhine as it passes the ancient castles and picturesque scenery on land, this DVD brings two of Germany's regions alive, for those who have already visited and those seeing them for the first time from their arm chair.
on October 2, 2011
I saw this book in Munich in an English book store and bought it, bought another copy for my dad planning his own trip. Luckily I stayed with with some distant family while visiting and they provided us with most of the information in this book, but I was able to supplement their knowledge with this as well as find a few things I would have missed otherwise. It is a must have on your trip!
on April 5, 2010
The only reason I don't give this guide (or series of guides) a 5 Star rating is that they are VERY HEAVY to carry around... we take Rick Steves and sections from Frommers Guides with us, and to a lesser extent we tear out pages from this guide. It is a very well put together guide, glossy photos, maps etc. and a Must Buy BEFORE you leave to help with planning... in another year or two maybe it will come as an "app" for the IPhone/ITouch so the weight issue won't be a problem when deciding on what to pack. Till then, study it... tear out pages to bring... and dream about places you may never visit!
on January 3, 2014
The eyewitness travel guides are always just fantastic and this one is no exception. We've had a chance to tour a lot of Germany
and this guide answers a lot of questions with actual visuals and three-dimensial drawings that really help. Pick one up if you have
chance to see Germany.
on June 10, 2010
D&K is a great way to visualize & plan all of our trips to Europe. Rick Steves is fine (I also bought it) but he never give me a sense of the overall look and feel of the locations that we will visit.
I have great interest in fine art and based on what is illustrated in D&K Germany I've added the StaatsGalerie (in Stuttgart) to our upcoming trip to Germany.
on May 19, 2011
The Eyewitness Travel Guides are a wealth of information for travelers. The descriptive highlights and history of individual cities are thorough, the photos capture the flavor of recommended sites, and the maps are easy to read. They really are an indispensable resource. By the way, purchasing through Amazon gives you some of the best prices for these travel guides.
on May 25, 2015
This company makes awesome travel guides and this one didn't disappoint either. My wife and I used it to plan our trip to Germany.
on July 2, 2015
Exactly as described. A good price. Nice travel guide. Delivered promptly.