BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 30, 2010
I bought this book for my son, now that he's come out. As a gay man, I wanted him to have the very best, rewarding life possible. I've been rereading a lot of the books on gay relationships I bought some time ago, before passing them on to my son.

This is an excellent guide. Gay men face some issues that straight couples don't, such as internalized homophobia, that are covered quite well in this book. A lot of it is just good sound advice on how to settle disagreements, how to live with other people, how to get along in any relationship: whether it be a gay relationship with your partner, effectively dealing with your boss, coworkers or customers, or with your straight friends and relatives.

A straight coworker found this book quite useful when I loaned it to him for advice on an abusive relationship an ex-girlfriend of his found herself in.

This is a great little book, and at the price, you really can't go wrong. I found it terribly helpful as a guide to getting along well with my son.
on June 17, 2009
I had been in a relationship for a few months when I first started reading this book. Since the beginning, I could read things that were relevant to me and my relationship. Even about a week after I started reading the book, my partner said something along the lines of: "Umm... I should probably start reading that book of yours, you seem to have gained all this insight into things."

The book is written in a very clear and logical way. It's simple to read, yet it touches very big issues we have and face that we are not even aware of. It makes us realize that there are things we might 'know' in theory, but when we are in a relationship we don't quite think about. This book puts everything into perspective and makes it easy for us to realize in what parts we need to improve, and stop just pointing out what's wrong with the other person.

Definitely read it, I think everyone would get something out of it. Worst case scenario, it'll be a refresher of things you may know. We all need one of those every now and then. :)
on November 25, 2011
So many books like this are full of cliches, and advice that doesn't always make sense. "Get Closer" helped me to realize and identify my own personal issues, and how they affect my intimacy with my partner. The writing style is conversational and very easy to follow. There are specific exercises you can do to help identify things about yourself. While reading the book, you will with each page that you are unraveling a puzzle; a puzzle that is yourself. You WILL finish this book knowing more about yourself, become more aware of the motivations for your actions while in a relationship, and have the tools to make the necessary changes towards a healthy loving relationship with your partner.
on October 2, 2015
Great book! You really don't need to be in a relationship to read this. It makes you think about human behavior in general.

The one nitpick is that it contains minor mistakes that a second read by an editor would have caught.
on October 10, 2011
This is a book for men who are serious about developing a long-term relationship with another man. Because each chapter is a complete discussion of a particular subject, one can read the book in its entirety or select individual chapters. There are many case examples which illustrate common relationship issues and suggest how to deal with them.
The book is easy to read and should serve as an important resource for those seeking healthy committed relationships.
on August 26, 2013
I loved reading this and i learned so much.. I would recommend this book to anyone thats looking for help or advise on starting or keeping a relationship alive and healthy
on December 29, 2013
This book gave my partner and I the opportunity to learn about our relationship as well as ourselves....SO RECOMMENDED...Thanks and ENJOY!!
on October 28, 2014
Great read...and a great self help guide!!
on February 18, 2013
It give info and advice for a successful relationship to last. Talks about conflict resolution and steps to avoid it and resolve it.
on October 9, 2016
This book is phenomenal! My partner and I are getting married after 4 committed years. We've had tremendous highs and detrimental lows in that time, but decided that we would read one of those "self help gimmicky books" to prepare us for a life together, committed legally. What we got instead was "the relationship bible" as we call it. I LOVE this book!
I love the book mainly for its ability to force you into discussing the uncomfortable topics that normally we would sweep under the rug. Each night we read a couple pages, sometimes a chapter, and then discuss what we got out of it. Sometimes it's easy like,"we're already really good at that." Sometimes it's hard like, "We really need to work on this."
It brings up the many topics that face many couples in a way that is easy to understand thanks to the example couples provided. It makes every situation more relatable! I wish we would have found this book years ago! But honestly, it's never too late to start working on, or strengthening your relationship. If you're ready to commit, or you're already committed, this book is going to make it that much easier. Give it a shot, you won't regret it!