Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance In Your Twenties and Thirties
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 3, 2007
I moved to US 7 years ago, so all this stuff on retirement plans, mortgages, investments, was a big cloud of information to me. Very slowly I started learning about finances reading articles over the internet. When I got this book, I couldn't stop reading it. It gave me a great overview of how to put my financial life together. It is very easy to read. Yes, it's not the solution to all your financial problems, but it's a great overview with very enlightening information.
The only thing I didn't find details about was 457 retirement plans (even though it talks about others). That's the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars.
on April 27, 1998
The personal finance magazines are for the people who have savings to invest, to buy bigger houses with, to chase after the latest hot stock. This is a book about getting there. I especially like the way Kobliner lays out what it's going to take to get where you want to go. For example, in the chapter on home ownership, she talks about how much you need to have in savings, what to do if your credit isn't great and walks you through figuring out whether it's better for you to rent or buy. In the insurance information she describes what the kinds of insurance cover, when you need it, and when you don't. Great book.
on November 21, 2002
This book covers many of the basic requirements needed by those in the early stages of their financial lives. The advice is excellent and the author points out the importance of beginning a savings and investing program while still young. In addition, she covers many topics offering good guidance for her readers everyday lives, including how to decide between renting or buying, how to find a bank and choose the right type of account to open, etc. My only complaint with her advice is the suggestion readers "consider mutual funds your entire investment universe, at least for now." That is bad advice. Now is the time for learning how to invest in individual stocks and how to use options to make those investments safer. Learning how to make careful stock selections is worth the time and effort, and IMHO, using mutual funds is not the path to financial success.
on December 8, 2012
I wanted an intro into how I should be handling my student loan debt, credit card debt, and savings. It was very informative, and it's definitely set me on the right track to getting my finances in order.
on October 13, 1998
Getting a good financial start in your twenties and thirties can save lots of grief in your forties and fifties. Personal finance writer (and Gen Xer) Beth Kobliner covers it all: handling debt, banking, investing, insurance, home buying, and taxes. In a chapter called, "Living the Good Life in 2030," she also makes a persuasive case for getting started early on retirement planning. There's even a "crib notes" section that summarizes the book for busy folks -- though a savvy reader will press on for all the valuable advice that follows.
on January 21, 1998
I just graduated college & am out on my own for the first time. Upon reading this resourceful book, it has given me all the information I need to organize my finances. All the advice is practical & it contains many helpful information I would not have been aware of had I not read the book. From handling debt to filing your taxes, I would recommend this book to anyone out there who is in a bind when it comes to getting their financial life in order. Thanks for a great book! I'm not surprised that it made the bestsellers list! =)
on August 31, 1998
I agree with all of the positive reviews of this book so far, and would like to add a couple of my own. This book is a great resource for anyone who doesn't know where or how to start saving. She includes several phone numbers and addresses where you can get more information on everything from no-load mutual funds to credit card companies that give the lowest rates. This book is outstanding in every aspect for someone just starting a career who doesn't know much about personal finance, insurance, saving, or taxes.
on July 2, 1998
This book has vital reference material for people of all ages. The author gives all the information you'll need to get started on everything from debt consolidation to the diference between a stock and money market fund and tells you who to call for more. It reaffirmed the things I am doing right and let me know where to go from here. I've already recommended it to several friends, who in turn have bought it, read it, and recommended it to others. The statistics and tables really open your eyes.
on July 10, 2008
I was thinking about going into finance but was too close to graduation. This book was recommended to me by a finance professor, when I asked for something that really explained how things work instead of just giving a prescription. This was an excellent book that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in financial matters. I keep this book in my library as reference and have turned back to it many times for a reference point when people ask me questions about finances.
on January 23, 2015
Most of the principals here I learned early on from my parents or first year or so working. I was looking for something with more substance in investment strategy, but it does lay out some basics. Some good medical, insurance, tax tips, etc that everyone should know too. All in all, very easy and pleasant read - book is broken into short sections so it's easy to pick up for ten minutes or so and come back at a later time. I recommend this to most new grads who're new to working or living on their own.