BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 11, 2007
It's not really anything those of us who are clutter prone haven't heard before, but it's got a new feel to it and is much gentler in approach. You're guided through step by step, never before you're ready - heck, even excited - to move to the next.

She gives you hope that, yes, I can change this, and then takes you through an actual first step of cleaning out/organizing a client's purse, another client's junk drawer. Little changes you can make, little bits of time spent to boost your confidence to tackle the big messes.

Best of all, for me, is that she has empathy for the disorganized. It's understood that there's an emotional component to this -- even if there wasn't one at the beginning, by the time you have a room or an entire house that's a disorganized nightmare there's at least feelings of being overwhelmed by the task, along with shame and self-disgust for letting it get this out of control. This cd acknowledges those feelings, places no blame, and gently leads you through, activity by activity, till you're out of that awful place.

Definitely 5 stars. If you've read other organizing books and nothing's helped, give this a try.
on December 21, 2010
At first, I was a bit put off with the New Age sing song voice of the author BUT she is a genius at decluttering and organizing. So, I just did the same thing I would with a friend that had an annoying habit, I ignored it, skipped CD 4 which is her personal philosophy stories, and listened to what she had to say of value. Her underlying kindness makes that easy. She knows why her approach works and is up front about why some of the TV show approaches may do more harm than good. I have been implementing her approach for two weeks and have done more good than six months of my prior efforts. If you don't skip steps, it becomes easier to do. And, her process is very start-stop friendly which helps immensely for somebody who is juggling the clutter project with other responsibilities.

There is some repetition in the material since the audio book is actually several audio books or presentations back to back. Some of it was helpful since she has specific steps and mnemonics that she uses.

One of her more interesting observations is that only 10% of the population are natural organizers. The other 90% will have difficulties that vary depending on if they have had the opportunity to learn the skill set.

My recommendation is to listen to the audio and try it her way and step by step for one small project. For example, she allots 2-3 hours to declutter and setup an organized purse which is a small project. I did something else but the principle work. If you do it her way, you end up being about 4X more efficient than the other systems that I've tried.
on December 19, 2011
I bought this audio book on Audible. I have listened to it several times already.

When I need motivation to de-clutter, I turn on this audio book on my computer and I listen to it for a few moments while de-cluttering.
The audio book is extremely well done: Marla has a very pleasant voice, the pace is perfect, and she speaks in a kind and friendly tone of voice. It is like having a good friend in the room with me while I de-clutter.

Marla shares a good method and tips: See it, map it, do it. When she gives the names of books she enjoyed on the same subject, she spells out the authors names so you can pause and write them down.

Marla then talks about "Simplify your life": practical advice and little stories that motivate me on my journey to a simpler life.

I highly recommend this audio book!
on February 5, 2012
The content is very good. However, I am a visual learner, and I cannot bookmark this audio-recording. There are a lot of exercises that require you stop the recording in order to answer the questions...very tedious and inexact. If I also had a print (or Kindle) edition, I could more easily complete the questions. I have contacted the author--if you want a visual version, please go to her website and contact her as well!
on November 19, 2007
This Audio Book has proved quite helpful for this ADD, pile person. Once I got past the "New Age" spiritual approach and the author's overly chipper tone of voice, I found many of her techniques as insightful solutions to my organization problems.

The reference websites have been of great help, also. If, unlike me, you are a reader, I would suggest the printed book. There is much I would like to review or reference.
on January 10, 2008
I bought this after listening to the library copy. It is lengthy...8 cd's. The actual system is simple to understand and quick to try and implement. The other cd's help to use the system in other areas such as time management and work/office management. I home school three children and I listen again and again when I am stuck for direction or ideas.