Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 61 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 79 reviews
on January 15, 2012
I wanted to see what was in the second edition so I decided to buy it.There is a lot of useful information in the newer edition, especially on sketches (the software programs that are uploaded into the Arduino board).

But I have to say, many of the projects in the first edition aren't in the second edition. I imagine that's why the first edition is selling for such a high price. If you need several beginners projects for the Arduino you will need to supplement this book with another one.
on January 3, 2014
An excellent starting book for the Arduino. If you are a reader who starts at the first page and reads each page in turn, you will find that everything flows well and the connections are logical. If you tend to read books by skipping the introductions and hoping into the middle of the text and then jump around from section to section looking for golden tibits of info, you may find the book a bit frustrating. If you really want to start at the begining and end up with a practical step-by-step understanding of the Arduino, this book is perfect for you. The author assumes nothing and explains how all the pieces fit together. You will be up and running within a few hours. The best part, your projects will work and you will feel encouraged to try your hand at more complex projects.
on December 27, 2012
I bought the Kindle version in December 2012 and found that Figure 5-4 is identical to Figure 4-6. It shows a pushbutton on the breadboard rather than the LED that the example uses. The correct picture can be found on O'Reilly's site here:
[...]

Other errata for the book, both print and PDF (I don't see Kindle errata) are here:
[...]

I found one other diagram hard to decipher - it was hard to tell which pins the wires were supposed to be inserted in. It is listed in O'Reilly's unconfirmed errata.

Too bad about the errors - that takes time away from experimenting. Finding their bugs isn't as interesting as looking for mine. I do like their approach to the examples, though so it at least rates a 3 in the Kindle version.
on June 14, 2014
This is a beginner's book, but the seasoned programmer can tolerate it (it's short) and learn about the platform in a nice way.

The book could use more information about the capabilities of the programming language and the IDE (like the ability/need to choose the flavor of board). The Monk book did have some of this information in passing, but it also had programming errors which where unforgivable.

This book by Massimo was written with love (well, he's a parent) and it shows.
on December 1, 2013
This book was a decent intro to the world of Arduino. Be aware that the title is fitting. It will get you started and that is about it. It takes you through the process of setting up your computer, creating simple sketches, and loading them onto your Arduino. That is about it. Once you've gone through it once I don't really think you'd turn back to it as a reference. It's a little too simplistic for that. If you are looking for step by step instructions on how to get started then I think you'll be happy with this.

I don't recall exactly how long it took me, but I went from never touching an Arduino to working my way completely through the book in somewhere around 2 hours time.
on July 22, 2012
I really enjoyed the book. I bought the Arduino Cookbook (O'Reilly ISBN 1449313876) initially but feel like I need some basic understanding of the device. Purchased the book from Amazon and the kit from MakerShed.com. It was a ton of fun, really enjoyed all the projects. I was able to quickly run thru all the projects in one weekend and feel like I gain some solid footing to move forward.

For the final project, here is a quick link for Python ([...]) if you feel like using it instead of Processing. I was able to set it up and running within minutes and crawl the web articles with alternating LEDs, inspired by one of Jeremy Blum's tutorials ([...]).

Overall, it was a ton of fun and can't wait to do more with Arduino.

Note: The kit includes most of the items in the book but not all, such as the MOSFET transistor, diode or the motor (Project 7).
review image review image review image
on August 23, 2013
I am new to Arduino and programming, so I purchased this book with the expectation of learning to write Arduino code. This book merely scratched the surface, and left me confused. The author explains some simple code, and gives a couple of good examples. BUT then the author starts giving new examples without explaining the code at all. Confusing. I'm very thankful that I only paid the $3.99 "used" price for this book. I was surprised because I have other MAKE instructional books, and I enjoy them very much. In contrast, this book was disappointing.
on January 24, 2013
I have to agree with the reviewer that the author said commented that the book would be better without the "fluff." The fluff is almost embarrassing to read through in a search for meaningful stuff. Maybe I'm being hardnosed, but it seems that he's writing for an audience of needleworkers, not to disparage needleworkers.

The illustrations (sketches) are too imprecise to carry meaning for those not familiar with electronics. The author continually refers to the USB interface as a serial port, confusing readers who interpret USB as USB and serial as RS232C.

I think the author missed his audience. But, in the end, he did introduce the Arduino, and "That's okay." But he didn't sell it.
on February 18, 2013
An Arduino board is a programmable controller that people use to make things and do things, and it presents an opportunity to realize your dreams without spending years earning an engineering degree. This book, along with a widely available Arduino Starter kit, provides the foundation for anyone wishing to learn to build a simple device able to interact with its environment, and program it to interact in whatever ways desired.
What kind of things, you ask? Robots are a popular choice, but one young man has designed and built a fully functional, five-fingered, articulated prosthetic arm capable of being controlled by the user's toe muscles and eye motions. You know - things.
on June 16, 2012
I got this book along with the "Electronic Parts for Getting Started With Arduino book (BOOK NOT INCLUDED)" and the Arduino UNO circuit board. While some of the readers felt the book was not necessary, I felt it was very well written for beginners -- clear and interesting. If you want to just get started, you can probably skip to chapter 4, as 1-3 is mostly introductions.

The section on "What We Will Be Building", followed by "How Electricity Works" is probably one of the best explanations for beginners that I've seen. The author then steps you through projects using different types of actuators and sensors, and explains them very well.

I felt this book was well worth the money.