- File Size: 320 KB
- Print Length: 67 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Center for Church Communication (February 13, 2014)
- Publication Date: February 13, 2014
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00IGGVED2
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#642,780 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #250 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Administration
- #1052 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Administration
- #1370 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Ministry & Evangelism > General
Getting Started in Church Communication: Copy Matters Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Starting right in the foreword of the book, Hendricks says “In the beginning was the Word. Words are how we communicate and how we tell our story.” This strikes me right out of the gate. It reminds me that as Church communicators it is our role to help spread the greatest story of all time, the Gospel.
This e-book gives practical advice. Hendricks explores what may seem like basics to some. However, I found some of these tips to be really helpful reminders. In the chapter Know What You’re Writing and Why, we are reminded to put thought into the purpose, audience, and style of the communication. Also, perhaps most importantly, what’s the call to action?
Along with the practical advice, there are a series of interview chapters throughout the e-book. Karina Lopez, Carolyn Clement, David Hansen, Danielle Hartland, Angela Bengtson, Jeff Goins and a favorite of my Steve Fogg are all featured here. I would highly recommend following them all on social media.
For the tiny price, and a little time, I think you will find this an excellent read and opportunity to reflect and refresh your work as a Church communicator.
‘Copy Matters’ begins with this all-important premise, but works towards a full-fledged explanation of precisely why copy matters. The text leverages the perspectives of a number of church communications professionals to tell their experiences working with writing copy.
In my experience, the church often wastes too much time in throwing general details at a broad audience, expecting them to respond. When in fact, the more effective practice is to tell compelling stories consistently across platforms. This generates interest and enthusiasm in nearly every audience.
Once we realize who our audience is and what it is they care about, the job of communicating to them becomes significantly easier. ‘Copy Matters’ develops a series of practical ways that this strategy can be made into a reality.
It covers the basics I taught in writing and publishing classes: how to proofread, how to create a style guide (essential for not only consistency but also for making your job easier), and some writing tips. Then it helps you see how those basics can be changed for and applied to your website and social media presence.
Best of all (for me) it reminds us that creating good copy is not about being a grammar nazi or an expert wordsmith. It is about clearly communicating the work of the church with members and newcomers alike and building/facilitating relationships. Ultimately, it is about sharing the Good News. Even if we are struggling for the best was to publicize the youth cookie sale, "Copy Matters" reminds up, we are telling God's story.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Administration
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Ministry & Evangelism
- Books > Religion & Spirituality
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Religion & Spirituality
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Administration
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Ministry & Evangelism > General