Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 117 reviews
on January 1, 2013
This book is a very nice introduction to the Raspberry Pi. The book is easy to read and the book is fairly short (180 pages). I was able to go through a chapter or 2 a night and finish off the book in less than a week.

Each chapter gives enough information to give the reader a basic understanding of the topic. The chapters are not complete references of the subject matter. At the end of each chapter are references that can be used to get more information. In the Kindle version of the book these are hyperlinks. Many of the references were free.

This book gives all the information needed to execute the example code. The examples were short and interesting.

I'm waiting to get a compatible webcam before completing chapter 9 and I didn't do all the examples in the chapter on Scratch but other than that I read the entire book and executed all the examples. I very much recommend this book and give it a rating of 5 stars.

I had a few problems but still stick with my 5 star rating.
Problem 1: Running Headless
Page 31 had a link to Raspberry Pi Hub. I couldn't get this to work. I found another example on the internet I had to modify and follow, [...]

Problem 2: NameError: name 'i' is not define
I was getting a compilation error with the sample code on page 42. I finally had to add an "i=0" before the while statement and an "i=i+1" inside the while statement.

Problem 3:Playing Video-pygame.mixer.quit location not clear
The text following the example on page 57 says that pygame.mixer.quit needs to be included "before you play". I thought this meant before the movie.play() command. However, I needed to include it before the movie = pygame.movie.Movie("foo.mpg") command or I would get video and no audio.
on September 19, 2014
For any electronics and Linux novices wanting to learn raspberry pi, this is the book for you! I came to this book with a high school physics level understanding of electronics, almost no knowledge of Linux, and a hobbyist level understanding of programming. The book took me step by step through a few small projects that really helped me to understand the possibilities that open up when using the raspberry pi. These projects are small and quick and each introduce you to a basic usage example like image processing, interfacing with hardware, and networking. While these projects and their explanations are by no means exhaustive, they give you a rough idea of what is going on and then introduce you to some other websites and books that might help if you want to pursue any given topic further.

I also found the way that they annotated the programming to be extremely helpful, although they occasionally glossed over details that I would have liked to know more about.

Overall, I loved this book. It might be too simple for people who have experience with platforms like the raspberry pi, but for a newbie like me, this book turned out to be an invaluable resource.
on March 20, 2014
I also bought this one in combination with the Raspberry Pi User Guide just to get aquainted with the hardware and functionality of the Raspberry Pi.
The price also was more than reasonable for what you get.
Some complain about the "Hand drawn sketches" but I suspect they were used to keep the costs down.
As far as what it contains some more experienced users have complained the first few chapters were a waste of space.
Well, it wasn't intended for experienced programmers, I know, that's what I do for a living, but for people just getting started.
It is very helpful and informative and as I said I bought it just to familiarize myself with the Raspberry Pi itself.
It includes some tips on the "Python" programming language which I personally have never used but still found informative.
Overall I would recommend it because you can't beat it for the price especially if you are just getting started programming.
on October 9, 2014
I bought a raspberry pi kit (Cana ultimate) along with this book and have been able to follow along with these projects. I am about halfway through so far. This book requires some materials for the projects that they don't list (breadboard, jumper cables (male-male, male-female, female-female) LEDs, resistors, etc... As long as you get a kit with your R-Pi you should be good except some of the projects require or ask for an Arduino and a Power Switch Relay II. I started with zero knowledge of Linux and Python and a little bit of electronics theory (but no experience) and I recommend this for others with little to no experience to get you started but still want to get advanced knowledge
on May 15, 2014
While I like this book and it was helpful in combination with Raspberry Pi for Dummies, it would not have made a good stand-alone reference. Still, the examples and diagrams are useful and it did contain information that was of assistance to me as I played with my Pi.
on April 17, 2014
This book is a must read for anyone wanting to get a little basic information and instruction on this microcomputer
on April 5, 2014
I found all of this information online in the same or better format. Perhaps if you did not have internet access it would be helpful but then there would be little you could do with pi. More instruction on what you might like to do would make it more valuable... such as how to connect remotely, how to install a database, how to createxa web app, etc.
on January 3, 2014
I bought this to go with my son's new RasPi that I bought him for Christmas. I found myself really enjoying the depth of information and number of projects in this book. Highly recommended.
on December 7, 2013
Great book very easy for a beginner to understand Highly recommended. Even though mostly everything in this book can be found online I always enjoyed reading a book rather then reading only forums which made this book perfect.

The book even has links inside to where it got ints information off the internet which I thought was very helpful.
on April 8, 2014
This little book is both a great introduction to Python and a great intro to Linux for people who don't know either. I glance at it all the time for fun. I would prefer a little more meat, but the small size is also easy to carry along. I also think Scratch programming is a waste of space, but I know some would disagree.